less and less free addon?

I agree with you in regard to the continued development of the add on, the expectation, the new functionalities and the re-written part. What I was talking about in my previous post, was about the updates of add ons in general. And the way I see it, it is essential for an add on developer to keep his work updated, especially in the first 2 scenarios that I mentioned above.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. :) I concur with this. I was just pointing out the unrealistic expectations that some consumers have.

I think this is unreasonable.

I do, too. But the existence of free add-ons next to paid ones always invites the obvious comparisons. In many cases, free add-ons here are as well supported and as actively developed as paid ones.

In a sense, the folks developing add-ons for a fee are facing the same kind of headwinds that professional journalists have faced over the past 10 years: there are folks out there willing to do this stuff for free. (The internet has killed a lot of formerly good careers.)

I found that there are currently 35 pages of paid resources with 2 pages of unmaintained addons and 1 page of addons in beta. There are also 138 pages of free resources with 16 pages of unmaintained addons and 1 page of addons in beta. What does this say? There are a lot more free resources available out there compared to paid but there is also a lot more unmaintained compared to paid resources. Personally, I could probably put that down to time constraints from the developers as they are likely to focus more on paid work rather than freebies as unfortunately freebies don't pay the bills.

For free products, I usually use them on the knowledge that I'd not always get support or updates as it's provided for free "as is" though any support for addons is always a great bonus and personally found that a lot of free addons here are well supported as shown above. Supporting free products are usually a good sign that any paid products from them are well supported too right?

Personally, this is what I'd usually expect to receive from paid software:

When buying a leased license (usually expensive in the long term)
  • Regular support when required
  • Regular updates when required to fix bugs, compatibility issues or security updates
  • Encoded so licensing cannot be bypassed
  • Expected to be removed or completely deactivated once the license expires as per the license agreement
When buying an owned license (usually cheaper in the long term)
  • 1 year of support when required
  • Regular updates when required to fix bugs or compatibility issues on the knowledge that I'd have to renew the support license to get these updates after 1 year unless it's a security update
  • Open Sourced or encoded depending on the developers choice and what the product entails
  • Allowed to keep on using it for as long as I like as per the license agreement
After all, why would I want to buy a product, have it break after 1 weeks use for example and then expect no support or updates to fix the issue?

Top Bottom