Cannot reproduce latest/unread posts issue

ichpen

Hi all, apologies if this has been mentioned before. Running XF 1.4.7.

I've received complaints that when users navigate to latest unread posts the following behaviour occurs (I've seen this on a few occasions):

1. New Posts -> click on thread title (uri: /unread) -> this routes to ....#post-xxxxx
- the problem is that the page scrolls to the presumably anchor of #post-xxxx meaning it goes to the end of that post so user believes the post in front of him is the latest when in fact it is the previous post. Basically in my limited mind it should really go to the post before the latest in order to truly display the latest post in a thread.

Is there anyway to address this?

2. New Posts -> occasionally things get lost and it ends up going 2 or 3 posts past the latest. This one is tricky to recreate so can't provide more info other than the fact I've seen it happen.

Thanks.

Ads or other stuff inserted in your templates can alter the way in how the browser "scrolls" down to the specific post.

Definitely not running any ads and I'm about to try to replicate on this forum. From what I see it scrolls to the permalink anchor #post-941966 (example). The permanlink anchor is at the bottom of the message box so it will obviously scroll position it at the top. On a page with many posts this means the last post will be scrolled out of view so user has to scroll up. It's not intuitive at all.

Anyway, will try it out here but from what I've seen even on the default template that's the behaviour.

I have a sneaking suspicion that problem 2 is down to some caching, memcached maybe? Whereby if the user lingers on the new posts list and clicks on the thread title it somehow doesn't take into consideration posts made in the interim, but this is just a guess.

Last edited:
So you know, there's a test forum: https://xenforo.com/community/forums/test-messages.6/ That's the ideal place to test.

However I would note that jumping to a particular part of the page via an anchor/hash is generally done by the browser and it is supposed to put it at the top of the page -- it always does for me. Browser information and a demonstration URL would be useful (it should just need to be link with a hash part).

So you know, there's a test forum: https://xenforo.com/community/forums/test-messages.6/ That's the ideal place to test.

However I would note that jumping to a particular part of the page via an anchor/hash is generally done by the browser and it is supposed to put it at the top of the page -- it always does for me. Browser information and a demonstration URL would be useful (it should just need to be link with a hash part).

Thanks sir, shall go away and try to recreate in the other forum.

Top Bottom