"Last checked by a Moderator"

adaaamb

Hey,

I run a forum that has multiple private nodes which allow users to submit "reports" to Moderators. Since the people that post in these nodes can only see their own threads, they're not able to know whether a Moderator has checked that category or posted on any threads within the category recently.

I was wondering if there's a way to give people peace of mind by letting them know when that particular category was last checked by a Moderator. This could go in the same place as ad_above_content, but only shown on the relevant category pages.

For users, it would display something like: "This category was last checked by a Moderator 25 minutes ago".
For Moderators (people with permissions), it would display the same as above, but also a "Check" button, to update the timer to 0. The reason I want a button for "Check" is because some Moderators may visit the category, but not view any threads. Optionally, it could reset back to 0 every time a Moderator posts in the specific category.

Please let me know if this is possible and if anyone is willing to do it, that'd be great :)
Thanks

I am not sure if I understand you. You don't use the build-in Xenforo report system but you let your users create reports in private nodes?
And you want that your users know when somebody viewed their report?
How about this?

But that add-on doesn't have an option for the users to see if their threads was checked/viewed or not.
That add-on only allows moderators to see this.

I am not sure if I understand you. You don't use the build-in Xenforo report system but you let your users create reports in private nodes?
And you want that your users know when somebody viewed their report?
How about this?
We do use the regular forum reports too. It's a Minecraft server forum, so the "Reports" category is for in-game reporting such as hackers or chat abuse. Having a look at the link you've provided, doesn't that only show who's read your own thread? My Moderators will be responding to each thread anyway, but since it's a private node, regular users don't know when the last report was checked (other than their own) and some complain that theirs hasn't been checked or has been missed (when a Moderator hasn't even checked any reports yet). All I wanted is a little timer at the top of the category page that my Moderators can reset to show users when reports were last checked

You should have a look at the AVForums.com - Moderator Checkpoint System | XenForo Community. It may be more fully fledged than you are looking for, but it would definitely offer more peace of mind regarding moderation. Created by @Chris D for @Stuart Wright.
I saw that and came to the same conclusion as @sbj. While that plugin looks nice, I need something to notify regular users of when a private node was last checked by a Moderator

We do use the regular forum reports too. It's a Minecraft server forum, so the "Reports" category is for in-game reporting such as hackers or chat abuse. Having a look at the link you've provided, doesn't that only show who's read your own thread? My Moderators will be responding to each thread anyway, but since it's a private node, regular users don't know when the last report was checked (other than their own) and some complain that theirs hasn't been checked or has been missed (when a Moderator hasn't even checked any reports yet). All I wanted is a little timer at the top of the category page that my Moderators can reset to show users when reports were last checked
I don't get the point, really. If your moderators will respond anyway, what is to moan about?
And with this add-on installed, they can see in addition, if a moderator saw their thread. So they will know if/when their reports are checked or not. I don't understand why you need a timer for this.

I don't get the point, really. If your moderators will respond anyway, what is to moan about?
And with this add-on installed, they can see in addition, if a moderator saw their thread. So they will know if/when their reports are checked or not. I don't understand why you need a timer for this.
People often moan that it's taking too long for a Moderator to check a report that they've made or claim that their report has been missed. By letting them know that reports haven't been checked since they submitted their report, they have nothing to complain about and can await a Moderator responding to the thread.

Think of it as if you're in a service station and they have those "Toilets last inspected" signs. You can see that the toilet is dirty and maybe you're going to complain, but the toilet was last checked an hour ago and will be checked again soon anyway! (best metaphor 2015)

You guys could offer Chris D some money to add that functionality to the moderator checkpoint system.
In theory it should be an easy job to put the 'view checkpoint information' into a usergroup permission.

But I his people moan about the time the moderators take to respond. No additional information about the checksystem will change this. Either the mods will be too slow or not. The only solution is to make the moderation faster.

The metaphor is not good. Because in your metaphor @adaaamb a regular visitor has no clue about if these toilets are inspected regularly.
But here your members know that they a moderator will check it. It is a matter of time. Let's say you have your timer? Then it iwll show 25 minutes for example? So the moderator still is too slow or not. What difference makes it? If he sees the report, he will respond anyway, or if doesn't answer, that means he is not online. Easy as that. But I don't want to argue about the sense of this. I hope you find what you are looking for.

But I his people moan about the time the moderators take to respond. No additional information about the checksystem will change this. Either the mods will be too slow or not. The only solution is to make the moderation faster.

The metaphor is not good. Because in your metaphor @adaaamb a regular visitor has no clue about if these toilets are inspected regularly.
But here your members know that they a moderator will check it. It is a matter of time. Let's say you have your timer? Then it iwll show 25 minutes for example? So the moderator still is too slow or not. What difference makes it? If he sees the report, he will respond anyway, or if doesn't answer, that means he is not online. Easy as that. But I don't want to argue about the sense of this. I hope you find what you are looking for.
The idea was to show a timer since reports were last checked so that people don't complain that their report was missed, since they can't see when other threads in that category have been posted on. Letting a regular member see when the category was last checked lets them know that their report was not missed

A perfect example of what I was talking about, @sbj - users often complain this way:

e0055b1cc8088b1dff98abac9455b967.png

These users must be stupid then. If nobody has replied, then nobody was online to reply. Nobody saw it.
This is how a ticket system works. You open a ticket and you wait for a reply.
No mod on earth can give him the answer for the 2nd question. When will they see his ban appeal? When they see it. It could be in 2 hours or in 2 minutes, depends on when a moderator is online.
A timer like you have requested would only show when the last time some moderator was online.
Or am I missing here something?

These users must be stupid then. If nobody has replied, then nobody was online to reply. Nobody saw it.
This is how a ticket system works. You open a ticket and you wait for a reply.
No mod on earth can give him the answer for the 2nd question. When will they see his ban appeal? When they see it. It could be in 2 hours or in 2 minutes, depends on when a moderator is online.
A timer like you have requested would only show when the last time some moderator was online.
Or am I missing here something?
That's precisely what I want. If users can see a timer that a Moderator has last checked that category, people won't have any doubts that their thread has been missed

Top Bottom