KnownHost Server Configuration?

I know that. Does one really need root access to transfer a site though?
Generally, that's the way a host does it, yes. I've never had a host ask me for FTP access for a site transfer.. always root. And if you knew what they wanted, then you're making their job difficult by not supplying the correct information. No one to blame but yourself :p

I don't think @Mike Edge had root access to my when he transferred me over from semi-dedicated on MDDHosting.
Maybe he didn't have the ability on his server for site to site transfers *shrug* He's a new host, hasn't been around as long as the rest of them.

Maybe he didn't have the ability on his server for site to site transfers *shrug* He's a new host, hasn't been around as long as the rest of them.
The KnownHosts employees from the forums and the sales rep I talked to through email seem pretty cool. I don't doubt you have had great service and support with them. I'm just getting a bad first impression from Support atm.

The KnownHosts employees from the forums and the sales rep I talked to through email seem pretty cool. I don't doubt you have had great service and support with them. I'm just getting a bad first impression from Support atm.
LOL have you considered they might be feeling the same? Sounds to me like you're being awkward and not supplying the information they need.

LOL have you considered they might be feeling the same? Sounds to me like you're being awkward and not supplying the information they need.
No I don't think so. They understood my request. Here's where things went South. "Because you are wanting to transfer from a Plesk control panel to a cPanel control panel, they do not match, so we cannot perform a normal migration. We will need to open a ticket with cPanel support to have the account migrated to your server manually." So I asked them to try through my ftp information instead and they asked for a list of what they wanted me to transfer. But before that even came up, I started getting nginx mail errors sent to my gmail for some reason. There are no misunderstandings. They know what I want, I know what they want. The question is, do they really need root access just to transfer a site when that's been done with only ftp access? And if I'm getting nginx errors before my site's even transferred, why not, at this point just give the move to someone more experienced?

They can't at least google a solution?
Why should they? They know what they need to do, you're not supplying the correct information for them to do so. You're the one making the job harder, not them, all because you assume you know better. If that's the case, open your own hosting company.. then you'll see :)

Why should they? They know what they need to do, you're not supplying the correct information for them to do so. You're the one making the job harder, not them, all because you assume you know better. If that's the case, open your own hosting company.. then you'll see :)
So what your saying is, I should not assume that hosts should know how to transfer site's over without root access?

You don't need root access to transfer a site. All you need is the cpanel user/pass. Whm does have an option to use root but this isn't needed.

Reactions: DRE
So what your saying is, I should not assume that hosts should know how to transfer site's over without root access?
No, I'm saying you shouldn't assume you know better. Because, if that was the case, you wouldn't be getting someone else to do it for you.

Huh? Why woildnt i ?
I said "maybe" :p

I always find having root access is the easier method *shrug*

But as I said, the issue isn't that it can't be done without root, it's simply that they asked for a set of credentials which DRE didn't supply and he wonders why they can't do it. There's nothing more annoying than listening to people complain that someone can't do something and it's not because the other party isn't trying to do their job the way they always do it, but because the complainee isn't supplying the requested information.

If a host doesn't know how to do a panel transfer without root access. That should be a sign alone that you should be looking for a different host. We do plenty of transfers without root access to their old accounts server. Esp if they are on a shared hosting plan at the old host

Reactions: DRE
No, I'm saying you shouldn't assume you know better. Because, if that was the case, you wouldn't be getting someone else to do it for you.
I don't think this is a case of me thinking I know better but a case of me expecting what has come before. Michael Denny moved me from URLJet to MDDHosting without root access. Mike Edge moved me from MDDHosting to xFHost without root access. You moved my site over to your Knownhost without root access, Chris Deeming moved my site over to NimbusHosting without root access and Slavik moved my site over to his shared hosting without root access. So by the 6th move, someone finally wants root access? Can you see where I'm going with this?

If a host doesn't know how to do a panel transfer without root access. That should be a sign alone that you should be looking for a different host. We do plenty of transfers without root access to their old accounts server. Esp if they are on a shared hosting plan at the old host
Now you're making assumptions. Mike, we know you want everyone to host with you, but you're going to have to get used to the fact that there are other hosting companies out there :D

Anyways, on that note, i'm out of this thread. Pointless argument and easily fixed if someone had supplied the correct information in the first place :p

I don't think this is a case of me thinking I know better but a case of me expecting what has come before. Michael Denny moved me from URLJet to MDDHosting without root access. Mike Edge moved me from MDDHosting to xFHost without root access. You moved my site over to your Knownhost without root access, Chris Deeming moved my site over to NimbusHosting without root access and Slavik moved my site over to his shared hosting without root access. So by the 6th move, someone finally wants root access? Can you see where I'm going with this?
I asked you for cpanel login and password and did a site to site transfer (cpanel login/password is probably what they're actually asking you for).

I asked you for cpanel login and password and did a site to site transfer (cpanel login/password is probably what they're actually asking you for).
No, they specifically asked for root access. You got the job done without root access.

Yeap plus you couldn't give us root as youmoved to us from shared hosting. Root is nice if your migrating a lot of sites. But for one site there is no reason. The transfer multi sites and transfer an account functions are the same speed moving one site

Top Bottom