Just in time Registration [Deleted]

Hmm, that must be a configurable setting. Its 25 on mine.

I'll change it so it uses the Max set characters :)

Liam
With version 1.0.1 I still receive the 25 max characters error. If I change the max characters to 40 in registration options, then it goes to an error that the username does not match the allowed characters. My user name match regex is
Code:
^[a-zA-Z. _-]+$

With version 1.0.1 I still receive the 25 max characters error. If I change the max characters to 40 in registration options, then it goes to an error that the username does not match the allowed characters. My user name match regex is
Code:
^[a-zA-Z. _-]+$

Ah, no numbers. To make everything unique, to allow multiple posts per guest user, it uses a segment of the session id...

Liam

Hi @Liam W,

I was wondering if you had any thoughts on the below requests and if the would be possible?

Cheers

DoN

Installed ok, and basic testing looks good. However as per other posts I would really want the following to utilise it:

• Registration page (default as per normal registration) to popup in overlay
  • Once registered return to thread and post.
  • Option to login (in case already registered)
However I would like to say thanks, this is something I really wanted so really appreciate the work you have put in. For the time being I have disabled it, but if you need any help with testing I would be happy to help.

Hi @Liam W,

I was wondering if you had any thoughts on the below requests and if the would be possible?

Cheers

DoN

I'm currently working on something else, so it'll have to wait.

I'm not sure if it is possible to make it appear in an overlay, due to the default Js being overridden by the XenForo code defaultly to make the new post fly in.

Liam

Ok, thank you, I appreciate the reply.

Whilst the overlay was a nice option, if there is just someway to use the standard registration function, with a customisable text message element (so we can advise the member they haven't lost their post) that would be fine.

Could it not trigger the default login/registration function from the top, with a custom message?

Either way, I'll wait and keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

I now get "Please enter a name that is at most 16 characters long"

xf1.2.4
Chrome
Hi @Liam W is this bug likely to be resolved anytime soon? The addon seems to be unusable as we get this error whenever an unregistered user tries to make a post, and prior to actually registering.

Suggestions:
  1. ask for an account name and email right away. (add these 2 fields in the reply form)
  2. allow the user to continue posting.
  3. allow Facebook registration.
  4. option to login in case already registered.
  5. send out reminder emails once a week, if registration is not completed. (include snippets of the posts into the reminder email)
  6. after registration send the member back to its message.

Any chance of this being updated, or expanded? Looks like amazing functionality that should increase registrations drastically?!

And to expand on this now I can type better...

I'm planning on having a system that saves the new posts in the database without a username, using a newly created state - 'jitreg'. This state will be like the current stated, 'visible' 'moderated' and 'deleted'.

Posts with the 'jitreg' state will not be displayed at all - the only existence of them will be noted in the database.

Each user will have their own unique ID, generated randomly when they first make a post. Their email address will also be requested.

This unique ID will be stored with the posts they make.

They can make as many posts as they want (although this will be configurable in the ACP) before they can make no more and must register.

An 'importantNotice' message will appear at the top of the page informing them that they have posts in the database, but they need to register or login to make them 'save' (although the posts are technically saved).

Clicking on one of those links will take them to the default system - if they choose either button, the drop-down will be activated, allowing them to choose their method (login, register, register/login with third party).

As they login/register, the old posts are set to their userId. If their state is now 'valid', the posts will be set to the 'visible' state, and they will be taken to the last post they made.

If their state is not 'valid' (I.E they need to be approved or have their email confirmed, or their banned), then the posts will not yet be made visible. If they're banned, the posts will be removed from the database (they're banned, posts can't be made so they're deleted).

When they confirm their email address or are validly moderated, the posts are then made visible, unless the user is deleted before this occurs, in which case the posts are also deleted.

Now, remember the email address we request? When they make their first post, an email is sent out saying that they haven't registered and they need to do so to make their posts 'exist'. They are given a link so they can go back to the session with the posts attached.

This method should work well, and should be good enough to engage new registrations.

Now I just have to build it...

Thoughts?

EDIT2: Man this turned into an essay... I think I'll move it to it's own reply.

Thoughts?.
Is it ready yet? I wanna have. lol!
But serious. I think the idea of the post state and random IDs is good. This should work wonderfully.
Just need to tie social authentication into this. And also send users a few reminders before the content is automatically removed from the DB.

Hi @Liam W, although I have entered a username who has the permisson to post, the editör is not showing up. I've tried it even with the admin account. Is there something that I'm missing?

(XF Version: 1.3.5)

Top Bottom