Just in time Registration [Deleted]

It's working, but I think it would make it much better if the user, after registration to the forum, would be redirected back to his/her message and not to the main page/control panel.

I agree. This sounds like an awesome feature. Although I believe I'll give the addon a little while to mature before I use it. It should work similar to most shopping sites.

For example, most sites allow you to add products to your shopping cart before creating an account. Usually when you go to purchase the item, it prompts you to create your account. Usually in a pretty streamlined way. A lot of sites have the registration part as a popup overlay/expanding box/ect. And all I've ever used go directly to the purchase page after registering when you register in the middle of trying to purchase something as a guest.

Also, I do have a quick question. You mentioned that a post marked as requiring moderation approval if the newly registered user needs to be verified/ect. Doesn't this mean that a moderator could accidentally approve a post before the user has approved their email? I don't think I fully understand how this works, and if this is even a good idea if you have fast acting moderators (how are they supposed to know the user needs to verify their email from the moderation queue?)

Good point about letting users post multiple posts. This increases the chance of registration, because they loose more value if they don't.

I think it would be much better if quick reply would have a field for username and email, so that each post at least has a contact email address. Then if the user does not register, at least the site can send out some reminders.

I agree. This sounds like an awesome feature. Although I believe I'll give the addon a little while to mature before I use it. It should work similar to most shopping sites.

For example, most sites allow you to add products to your shopping cart before creating an account. Usually when you go to purchase the item, it prompts you to create your account. Usually in a pretty streamlined way. A lot of sites have the registration part as a popup overlay/expanding box/ect. And all I've ever used go directly to the purchase page after registering when you register in the middle of trying to purchase something as a guest.

Also, I do have a quick question. You mentioned that a post marked as requiring moderation approval if the newly registered user needs to be verified/ect. Doesn't this mean that a moderator could accidentally approve a post before the user has approved their email? I don't think I fully understand how this works, and if this is even a good idea if you have fast acting moderators (how are they supposed to know the user needs to verify their email from the moderation queue?)
Most people shop today as guests, without creating accounts, and most smart internet shop owners create them an account at the end (without asking them) and send them a random password via email. Once users log-in with this password on the first time, they get a window to choose new password for their account.
Non-smart internet shop owners don't include guest checkout at their store = very high abundance rate of shopping carts = less sales.
Just my .02 cents, it's completely off-topic :)

Visually it would be nice, imo, to have a line separating the sign up info section from the post above it. To me it makes it look like its part of the last post for a second. It might be just be but I think it would look better.

Is there a way to make their post appear above the sign up section? I think it would help. If I posted a long reply and then just see the sign up section I might think that the post is lost. Some might get frustrated and just leave. I think it would be nice to almost see it as a preview and sign up.

James

Bug
  • If the user "jitreguser" exists, even guests won't be able to post (quick fix : forbid this username in ACP -> Users and registration).
Suggestion
  • Add the Facebook registration button.

Great addon !

When I blocked the user name it wouldn't allow it to work. You get this error,

The following error occurred:

Please enter another name. The entered value contains disallowed words.

James

When I blocked the user name it wouldn't allow it to work. You get this error,
The following error occurred:
Please enter another name. The entered value contains disallowed words.

James

Sames goes for me, I didn't checked after doing this modification.

So it's a real bug, that need to be fixed.

Bug report.
  • The quick reply box is showing up on closed threads (or forums that forbid posting). Because of that guests can reply to closed threads.

Bug report.

• Their are a lot of server error logs generated because of this addon.
    Here is one :
    Code:
    Zend_Exception: No entry is registered for key 'session' - library/XenForo/Application.php:958
    Stacktrace :
    Code:
    #0 /home/b8/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php(1375): XenForo_Application::get('session')
    #1 /home/b8/public_html/library/LiamJITReg/DataWriter/User.php(7): XenForo_Application::getSession()

Code:
    array(3) {
      ["url"] => string(36) "http://mywebsite.com/deferred.php"
      ["_GET"] => array(0) {
      }
      ["_POST"] => array(4) {
        ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(1) "/"
        ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
        ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
        ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
      }
    }
I have these errors like twice per hours on my big board.

It only happens at /deferred.php and even because of the error, I do not think this affect cron task from fully working.

Regards.

Looks like the session object isn't registered in the deferred system... Hmmmm.

As per the bugs and feature requests, I'll look into them :)

Liam

What if the site has an average of 11 registrations per hour with spiked up to 80 an hour? And I'm sure that this functionality would increase it a lot more.

@jdeg what kind of increase did you see from adding such functionality?
I saw about a 10% increase in registrations, but I had some admins report more. It greatly depends on how active your site is.

Bug report.
  • When you have loads and loads of users (and jitreg guests posts waiting to be completed), and a normal user try to edit it's usertitle, or an admin try to change a member's username, the process will take ages and it will timeout. I found that the problem is because you re-defined the pre save() function in the user datawriter, so any action (even an username change) will trigger this function, that can be quite long to be runned.

Installed ok, and basic testing looks good. However as per other posts I would really want the following to utilise it:

• Registration page (default as per normal registration) to popup in overlay
  • Once registered return to thread and post.
  • Option to login (in case already registered)
However I would like to say thanks, this is something I really wanted so really appreciate the work you have put in. For the time being I have disabled it, but if you need any help with testing I would be happy to help.

This is a great addon. I've seen quite a few lurkers signing up since it was installed.

Really works, but definitely needs the existing member login option.

Hi @Liam W - Has there been any thoughts about the requests? I would really like to use this addon, so it would be great to know if you think you will be able make the changes? Also I am happy to offer help with any testing.

I am also receiving this error once per hour

Code:
Zend_Exception: No entry is registered for key 'session' - library/XenForo/Application.php:958
Generated By: Unknown Account, Yesterday at 2:56 PM

#0 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/Application.php(1352): XenForo_Application::get('session')
#1 /home/public_html/library/LiamJITReg/DataWriter/User.php(7): XenForo_Application::getSession()
#2 /home/public_html/library/Ragtek/NUNS/DataWriter/User.php(26): LiamJITReg_DataWriter_User->_postSave()
#3 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1397): Ragtek_NUNS_DataWriter_User->_postSave()
#4 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/DataWriter/Warning.php(178): XenForo_DataWriter->save()
#5 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/DataWriter/Warning.php(134): XenForo_DataWriter_Warning->_warningExpiredOrDeleted()
#6 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1397): XenForo_DataWriter_Warning->_postSave()
#7 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Warning.php(512): XenForo_DataWriter->save()
#8 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/CronEntry/Warnings.php(7): XenForo_Model_Warning->processExpiredWarnings()
#9 [internal function]: XenForo_CronEntry_Warnings::expireWarnings(Array)
#10 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Cron.php(356): call_user_func(Array, Array)
#11 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/Deferred/Cron.php(24): XenForo_Model_Cron->runEntry(Array)
#12 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(243): XenForo_Deferred_Cron->execute(Array, Array, 9.99999713898, '')
#13 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(369): XenForo_Model_Deferred->runDeferred(Array, 9.99999713898, '', false)
#14 /home/public_html/library/XenForo/Model/Deferred.php(322): XenForo_Model_Deferred->_runInternal(Array, NULL, '', false)
#15 /home/public_html/deferred.php(18): XenForo_Model_Deferred->run(false)
#16 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(40) "http://www.site.com/deferred.php"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(3) {
  ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(63) "/threads/thread-name.34617/"
  ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
  ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}