Just in time Registration [Deleted]

Liam W

in memoriam 1998-2020
Liam W submitted a new resource:

Just in time Registration - Let guests post first, register second!

This is something many people have wanted, and something that may be coming still, however I decided that as I was bored, I would make an addon for it!

This addon will show the quick reply editor on all threads, and when a guest presses the post button the registration form will appear.

The post will be set as deleted under the 'jitreguser' username, until they complete the registration when the post will go under their username.

If the user has to confirm their email, or be approved, then...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited:
Won't be using this myself - but what happens if they can't register/fail to register and then another guest posts and uses this feature and successfully registers. Does it end up placing both posts with their user name? Or does it flush the first attempt. And if so, what happens if 3 or 4 or using it at the same time?

I would like to see it function simplier. Just show quick reply, but when someone clicks inside to post it suddenly redirects you to login/registration form.

But don't get me wrong. Great job you did here!

Last edited:
Won't be using this myself - but what happens if they can't register/fail to register and then another guest posts and uses this feature and successfully registers. Does it end up placing both posts with their user name? Or does it flush the first attempt. And if so, what happens if 3 or 4 or using it at the same time?
Good point, would like to know as well. In addition, is there any live forum/demo that you can show us? I would like to see how does it work on a live site.
Thanks.

The post isn't linked to the new user until the datawriter has finished saving.

If the post isn't linked to an account within an hour of it being posted, it'll be deleted by the cron.

Last edited:
I like this - but I'd really prefer an option to have the registration form loaded in a pop-up. :)
That's where the issues come in. It doesn't want to do that, at all. Somewhere, the system is set to show any views that come back from the reply controller as a popup in the thread.

That's how the post 'jumps' in, and I haven't found a way to stop this from happening (it was my original plan to have it in an overlay).

Liam

Hmm, maybe you could just jazz up the appearance of the registration form that appears when you click 'Post Reply'?

Hmm, maybe you could just jazz up the appearance of the registration form that appears when you click 'Post Reply'?

It's the default registration template, and it appears to load rather blandly. I'll see what I can do though...

Liam

The post isn't linked to the new user until the datawriter has finished saving.

If the post isn't linked to an account within an hour of it being posted, it'll be deleted by the cron.
What if the site has an average of 11 registrations per hour with spiked up to 80 an hour? And I'm sure that this functionality would increase it a lot more.

@jdeg what kind of increase did you see from adding such functionality?

It's working, but I think it would make it much better if the user, after registration to the forum, would be redirected back to his/her message and not to the main page/control panel.

Yeah that's really important I think.

Please add facebook connect button too. So if they want they can simply click on facebook connect button to register without filling all the form

Bug
  • If the user "jitreguser" exists, even guests won't be able to post (quick fix : forbid this username in ACP -> Users and registration).
Suggestion
  • Add the Facebook registration button.

Great addon !

Top Bottom