1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just in time Registration [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Add-on Releases' started by Liam W, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Liam W submitted a new resource:

Just in time Registration - Let guests post first, register second!

Read more about this resource...
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  2. DEZero

DEZero Well-Known Member

Great add-on, will be installing soon.
  3. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Won't be using this myself - but what happens if they can't register/fail to register and then another guest posts and uses this feature and successfully registers. Does it end up placing both posts with their user name? Or does it flush the first attempt. And if so, what happens if 3 or 4 or using it at the same time?
  4. BassMan

BassMan Well-Known Member

I would like to see it function simplier. Just show quick reply, but when someone clicks inside to post it suddenly redirects you to login/registration form.

But don't get me wrong. Great job you did here!
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  5. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

Good point, would like to know as well. In addition, is there any live forum/demo that you can show us? I would like to see how does it work on a live site.
  6. tajhay

tajhay Well-Known Member

This is dope! awesome work! Thanks so much
    Liam W likes this.
  7. AzzidReign

AzzidReign Well-Known Member

Been wanting something like this for AGES! Thank you! Going to have to test this out now!
    Liam W likes this.
  8. Matthew Hawley

Matthew Hawley Well-Known Member

Just curious...what if someone has the username "jitreguser"?
  9. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Then they're very strange, but it wouldn't do anything - the post is still linked to a guest user, not the existing user.
  10. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

The post isn't linked to the new user until the datawriter has finished saving.

If the post isn't linked to an account within an hour of it being posted, it'll be deleted by the cron.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    Robert F Schmitz, Dakis and BassMan like this.
  11. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

It's installed on my production forum: https://www.ingressexperts.com/forums

Choose a forum to reply to, and post the reply :)
    TheBigK likes this.
  12. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

I like this - but I'd really prefer an option to have the registration form loaded in a pop-up. :)
  13. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

That's where the issues come in. It doesn't want to do that, at all. Somewhere, the system is set to show any views that come back from the reply controller as a popup in the thread.

That's how the post 'jumps' in, and I haven't found a way to stop this from happening (it was my original plan to have it in an overlay).

TheBigK likes this.
  14. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

Hmm, maybe you could just jazz up the appearance of the registration form that appears when you click 'Post Reply'?
  15. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

It's the default registration template, and it appears to load rather blandly. I'll see what I can do though...

TheBigK likes this.
  16. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

What if the site has an average of 11 registrations per hour with spiked up to 80 an hour? And I'm sure that this functionality would increase it a lot more.

@jdeg what kind of increase did you see from adding such functionality?
  17. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

It's working, but I think it would make it much better if the user, after registration to the forum, would be redirected back to his/her message and not to the main page/control panel.
  18. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

Yeah that's really important I think.
  19. Max

Max Active Member

Please add facebook connect button too. So if they want they can simply click on facebook connect button to register without filling all the form
    Alfa1 likes this.
  20. allewreK

allewreK Active Member

• If the user "jitreguser" exists, even guests won't be able to post (quick fix : forbid this username in ACP -> Users and registration).
    • Add the Facebook registration button.

Great addon !
    Liam W likes this.