1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed JS-diabled, can't post or preview

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Onimua, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

If JS is disabled, you can browse normally but you can't reply to posts or create threads. If you try to create a thread, you get a general forum error, and this is the same for when you try to reply with the Quick Reply box.

When you try to preview a post, the button doesn't actually do anything.

2. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

I wonder if they intend to fully support all actions when browsing without Javascript. They may have simply decided that that is not a needed feature. Personally, I'm undecided on the issue. On one hand, there is no reason everyone can't have a modern browser with a working Javascript implementation. On the other hand, there are legit reasons to be browsing without Javascript-- old browsers where you do not have the option of upgrading, text-only browsers, some mobile devices, etc. I guess, optimally it would be nice to have all actions degrade gracefully to a working non-Javascript version when Javascript is not available.

3. Floris

Floris Guest

I believe default functionality like posting would work without js enabled. Hmmmm.

4. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Basic things like posting/previewing a post should still work at least. Everything else degrades nicely, but posting doesn't work at all. If it wasn't going to be supported, I doubt a lot of other things would support non-JS environments the way they do now.

5. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's just a bug in the software. It looks like it's trying to submit the message, but it's just that there's a bug somewhere. If it wasn't supported at all I wouldn't think the form would even submit.

6. Mert

Mert Well-Known Member

As far as i know XenForo will function correctly when Javascript is disabled.

7. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'm not sure what's causing this. I will investigate.

8. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Fixed. The front end should be fully functional without JS, this was just a bug.

9. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Is this discussion about thread preview?

Is XF intended to have thread preview? I've not found it.

10. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

This was about the act of posting a new thread or replying to one and not being able to post or preview your reply, not a tooltip preview of the thread like in vB.

Abomination likes this.
  11. calorie

calorie Active Member

FYI, was just browsing with JS off. Tried to preview and could not. Could post though, just no preview.

12. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Progressive enhancement and all that. :)