[JoyFreak] Open Graph Image

[JoyFreak] Open Graph Image 2.3.0

No permission to download

JoyFreak

JoyFreak submitted a new resource:

[JoyFreak] Open Graph Image - Control how threads are displayed when shared on social media.

This is a XenForo 2 add-on that allows you to control how threads are displayed when shared on social media.

Setup:
Once installed, select the nodes you want this add-on enabled for via options.

Additional information:
When creating a new post on social media, the Open Graph Image add-on will use the first uploaded attachment in your thread as the Open Graph image. This add-on will only work for attachment images with 144x144 dimensions as this is the minimum for displaying...

Read more about this resource...

I installed this add-on, selected an article forum node for it to be active on, and set the node permission for the unregistered group to view attachments.

I then went to twitter and tweeted the link to an existing article in the node. There was no image displayed with the link.

When does this mod set the image? When you create a thread/post (ie. won't work for existing threads) or when you tweet the thread/post (should have worked for me just now)? Is there a maximum size limit on the images? Is there a specific format required? .PNG ok?

I installed this add-on, selected an article forum node for it to be active on, and set the node permission for the unregistered group to view attachments.

I then went to twitter and tweeted the link to an existing article in the node. There was no image displayed with the link.

When does this mod set the image? When you create a thread/post (ie. won't work for existing threads) or when you tweet the thread/post (should have worked for me just now)? Is there a maximum size limit on the images? Is there a specific format required? .PNG ok?
Twitter doesn’t seem to do open graph testing anymore. Have you tried Facebook? https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/

If you’re experiencing problems, share your link in a PM with me so I can troubleshoot.

Can I suggest a few more og tags to be included...

og:image:width
og:image:height
og:image:secure_url
og:image:type

Thanks

Trying this out but maybe I have missed something.

• I have set the nodes.
  • Made sure attachments viewable by unregistered
  • Posted a thread (which has attachments) to FB

but the post on Facebook is showing the default forum OG image as set in style properties.

e.g: have just posted a forum thread here on a FB page:

Trying this out but maybe I have missed something.

• I have set the nodes.

but the post on Facebook is showing the default forum OG image as set in style properties.

e.g: have just posted a forum thread here on a FB page:

It uses the first attachment in the first post. I don’t see an attachment in the first post of that thread you shared two hours ago.

It uses the first attachment in the first post. I don’t see an attachment in the first post of that thread you shared two hours ago.
Aha OK.

maybe you need to change the description of the addon as it doesn't say that:

When creating a new post on social media, the Open Graph Image add-on will use the first uploaded attachment in your thread as the Open Graph image.

Ok, so am now about to share another thread to FB (which does have an attachment in the first post), but I see this before previewposting, as if it is going to post an image of then xenForo forum:

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 14.12.55.png

Further to the previous post, I did successfully share another thread with image from 1st post, however the thread referenced in the post above always previews very weirdly with the xenforo image (which is not the image in the thread!)

Further to the previous post, I did successfully share another thread with image from 1st post, however the thread referenced in the post above always previews very weirdly with the xenforo image (which is not the image in the thread!)

Are you sure that your node is selected as one of the nodes that the OpenGraph add-on is allowed to work in? Ie. The add-on options page asks you which forums it will work in. Also make sure that guests have the permission to view attachments. That's also required.

Are you sure that your node is selected as one of the nodes that the OpenGraph add-on is allowed to work in? Ie. The add-on options page asks you which forums it will work in. Also make sure that guests have the permission to view attachments. That's also required.
Yes

• I have set the nodes.

I visited that post as a guest and clicked the image and it’s telling me I need to log in to view. So it’s not actually available to guests, therefore it will not work
That's odd. Yes there was a forum permission set for unregistered, but that is now not the case and it's the same issue.

That's odd. Yes there was a forum permission set for unregistered, but that is now not the case and it's the same issue.
I’m on my mobile so I can’t check the dimensions of the picture. I won’t be able to look at this till tomorrow. But OpenGraph for most social media require a certain dimension for it to display, and I’ve put those checks in and if those dimension criteria’s aren’t met then it will resort to your default open graph image in your style’s settings. Will confirm tomorrow.

It works.

You need to use the Facebook debugger to refresh the cache.

and I’ve put those checks in and if those dimension criteria’s aren’t met then it will resort to your default open graph image in your style’s settings. Will confirm tomorrow
Many thanks . But it isn’t defaulting to the site IG icon it’s showing a screenshot of xenForo.com. weird.

Many thanks . But it isn’t defaulting to the site IG icon it’s showing a screenshot of xenForo.com. weird.
Yeah no idea what you’ve done there. Were you testing something and uploaded a picture of XenForo.com ? Anyway I’ve refreshed it for you with the Facebook debugger.

I’m on my mobile so I can’t check the dimensions of the picture. I won’t be able to look at this till tomorrow. But OpenGraph for most social media require a certain dimension for it to display, and I’ve put those checks in and if those dimension criteria’s aren’t met then it will resort to your default open graph image in your style’s settings. Will confirm tomorrow.
For reference (taken from the add-on description): 144x144 minimum dimensions

Top Bottom