JFusion plugin for Xenforo

... I will now be making this plugin regardless.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

And I am still willing to donate or buy a license when it's ready.

no. XF is opensource. You are free to look at the code but to use it you have to give $$$. Open source is not automatically free. The big draw about open source is you have access to the source code itself...so you can review it yourself if you so choose. Just because it's open source doesn't mean it's free...don't continue to confuse the two..:)
Again wrong. The fact that you can get the source code means very little. Even MS allows limited access to Windows source code, but that doesn't make Windows open source.

The xF license does not allow you to modify and redistribute the code, except for your own needs. For example, you cannot use the xF source code to write a new forum software and distribute the result as open source, but this is exactly what every open source compliant license allows. Any license that does not allow this, has little, if any, chances to get approved by the OSI.

So no, xF is not open source. Not a tiny bit. Neither is vB, IPB or any other PHP product licensed under a proprietary license.

Open source is not about the product itself and whether a product is free or not doesn't matter. Open source is *only* about the source code and the freedom to use it.

xenforo/library/XenForo/Authentication/Core.php
xenforo/library/XenForo/Authentication/Abstract.php
xenforo/library/XenForo/ImportSession.php
xenforo/library/XenForo/Session.php

Let's see what I can make with this + a modified version of the code below:

if (array_key_exists('_submit_check', $_POST)) {
/* Login details have been submitted */
define("DS", '/');
require("prestashop" . DS . "config" . DS . "config.inc.php");
require("prestashop" . DS . "init.php");
$passwd = trim($_POST['email']);
$email = trim($_POST['pass']);
if (empty($email))
$errors[] = Tools::displayError('e-mail address is required');
elseif (!Validate::isEmail($email))
$errors[] = Tools::displayError('invalid e-mail address');
elseif (empty($passwd))
$errors[] = Tools::displayError('password is required');
elseif (Tools::strlen($passwd) > 32)
$errors[] = Tools::displayError('password is too long');
elseif (!Validate::isPasswd($passwd))
$errors[] = Tools::displayError('invalid password');
else
{
$customer = new Customer();
$authentication = $customer->getByemail(trim($email), trim($passwd));
/* Handle brute force attacks */
sleep(1);
if (!$authentication OR !$customer->id)
$errors[] = Tools::displayError('authentication failed');
else
{
$cookie->id_customer = intval($customer->id);
$cookie->customer_lastname = $customer->lastname;
$cookie->customer_firstname = $customer->firstname;
$cookie->logged = 1;
$cookie->passwd = $customer->passwd;
$cookie->email = $customer->email;
if (Configuration::get('PS_CART_FOLLOWING') AND (empty($cookie->id_cart) OR Cart::getNbProducts($cookie->id_cart) == 0))
$cookie->id_cart = intval(Cart::lastNoneOrderedCart(intval($customer->id)));
Module::hookExec('authentication');
if ($back = Tools::getValue('back'))
Tools::redirect($back);
Tools::redirect('my-account.php');
}
}
}
}
else
{
echo('
<form action=' . ['PHP_SELF'] . '>
<input type="text" id="email" />
<input type="password" id="pass" />
<input type="hidden" name="_submit_check" value="1" />
<input type="submit" />
</form>
');
}

I didn't think anyone was allowed to republish xF code openly, even in a modified format.
At any rate, I'll pledge another $150 at completion.

I need this bridge to be completed soon, Lots of projects waiting on something like this.

IF this programmer can't finish the bridge in a few weeks I was thinking about putting the project out for bids on Freelancer. I would take the lead and front the money for the development because using Freelancer gives a certain amount of security. The only problem I see, in hiring a programmer to make this, is the continued support of the finished product. I am sending a message to one programmer, I have used in the past, to see if he is interested in making this bridge and supporting it .

Anyone else have any ideas for making this bridge happen?

just want to add, i'll throw in another $150 at completion (assuming it can be ready soon -- like around the time xenforo gets to a RC). A stable jfusion bridge would be important for us as well.

Any of the Joomla Fans here want to re-encourage me why Joomla is better than Wordpress ?
I just started a Wordpress site and I find it easy and intuitive.
The updating is painless.

I need this bridge to be completed soon, Lots of projects waiting on something like this.

IF this programmer can't finish the bridge in a few weeks I was thinking about putting the project out for bids on Freelancer. I would take the lead and front the money for the development because using Freelancer gives a certain amount of security. The only problem I see, in hiring a programmer to make this, is the continued support of the finished product. I am sending a message to one programmer, I have used in the past, to see if he is interested in making this bridge and supporting it .

Anyone else have any ideas for making this bridge happen?

I was originally going to do it this way but no-one wanted to "hire" me since they wanted to see a working thing before even contributing money, and I took a risk by dedicating less time but working for nothing. The support would be continued if officially supported by jfusion and the lifetime of xenforo assuming continued donations to JFusion managers (not me) and original contributions of the plugin itself to me.

I was originally going to do it this way but no-one wanted to "hire" me since they wanted to see a working thing before even contributing money, ....

I have hired out a freelancer for a project before and there is a difference between what you were asking and the way freelancer works.

Either the money for the project is put into escrow and paid to the developer only after they have completed the task, or the developer would complete the task, so a working version and then the buyer would release the funds to the developer and the developer would send the file over.

What you were asking people to do was send you (someone we don't know) the money before even starting the project in the hopes that you would be able to complete it in a timely manner.

I am sorry, but this just isn't a reasonable way of doing business. I understand your risks for spending time, working on this and maybe no one steps up to the plate and pays for it, but there was at least one person putting up a great deal of the original price you were asking for and that user has a reputation on this forum and others of paying his bill when he says he will.

Jamie

I have hired out a freelancer for a project before and there is a difference between what you were asking and the way freelancer works.

Either the money for the project is put into escrow and paid to the developer only after they have completed the task, or the developer would complete the task, so a working version and then the buyer would release the funds to the developer and the developer would send the file over.

What you were asking people to do was send you (someone we don't know) the money before even starting the project in the hopes that you would be able to complete it in a timely manner.

I am sorry, but this just isn't a reasonable way of doing business. I understand your risks for spending time, working on this and maybe no one steps up to the plate and pays for it, but there was at least one person putting up a great deal of the original price you were asking for and that user has a reputation on this forum and others of paying his bill when he says he will.

Jamie

Yeh a lot of freelancing sites do use that, but I normally get jobs directly from just finding jobs posted on forums and then replying:
- I can do this job, here is my relevant experience and estimated time and cost, do you want to hire me

If there interested I give them some way of contacting me and discuss an official arrangement, they either pay upfront full, partial upfront fee, or pay for each part they see working and completed. I use paypal and tell them they can demand refund and if I havn't fufilled my duties paypal will make sure I refund them.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2111378&sid=8ae955859b12aac79231f192b842d7b5 that's a good topic about freelancing practices. Yes full upfront fees are odd and is not the best practice and does cause a lot of mistrust but if it is done through paypal there is buyers protection.

I'm not doing it that way any more anyway because I got no on-board response at all from it so why are you repeating something old and irrelevant?

Yeh a lot of freelancing sites do use that, ....

Not a lot, almost all of them do it this way.

- I can do this job, here is my relevant experience and estimated time and cost, do you want to hire me

No, I wouldn't hire you until I was sure you could do it and sure it would be done in a timely manner. You haven't given the impression of either for me.

If there interested I give them some way of contacting me and discuss an official arrangement, they either pay upfront full, partial upfront fee, or pay for each part they see working and completed. I use paypal and tell them they can demand refund and if I havn't fufilled my duties paypal will make sure I refund them.

Paypal refunds only protect the buyer but so much.. it's not a guarantee.

Yes full upfront fees are odd and is not the best practice and does cause a lot of mistrust but if it is done through paypal there is buyers protection.

So if you know this, why not handle this like the many other people making money? Why go through all of this when the project could have already been done by now and you would have been paid (accounting for the number of people commiting to pay you) more money than you originally wanted.. It just seems odd..

I'm not doing it that way any more anyway because I got no on-board response at all from it so why are you repeating something old and irrelevant?

I am 'repeating something old and irrelevant...' because your response to swankins made it seem like it was the buyers fault this never got off the ground.. because we won't just throw money at you before anything is ever started.

The jfusion plugin will come about one day... xF will take the forum community by storm, that's a given and when xF becomes the industry leader everyone will want to connect to it.. it's only a matter of time but you have the decision to make, you can get onboard and make some money or let someone else make it.. This of course is just my opinion that you can take with a grain of salt...

Jamie

Not a lot, almost all of them do it this way.

No, I wouldn't hire you until I was sure you could do it and sure it would be done in a timely manner. You haven't given the impression of either for me.

Paypal refunds only protect the buyer but so much.. it's not a guarantee.

So if you know this, why not handle this like the many other people making money? Why go through all of this when the project could have already been done by now and you would have been paid (accounting for the number of people commiting to pay you) more money than you originally wanted.. It just seems odd..

I am 'repeating something old and irrelevant...' because your response to swankins made it seem like it was the buyers fault this never got off the ground.. because we won't just throw money at you before anything is ever started.

The jfusion plugin will come about one day... xF will take the forum community by storm, that's a given and when xF becomes the industry leader everyone will want to connect to it.. it's only a matter of time but you have the decision to make, you can get onboard and make some money or let someone else make it.. This of course is just my opinion that you can take with a grain of salt...

Jamie
I never blamed anyone there choice and I changed the approach for this project, not that long after either so it's barely time wasted especially since I found work to occupy my time while I was considering parts of the project. I mite not of gave you the impression of hiring me from this project but that wasn't the intention, this is supposed to be a contribution based project. Your opinion but you are seriously misquoting me.

Everything starts somewhere and I hate to see to see criticisms of irrelevant misquotes when I'm offering a tonne of free work on my own time working alone and just relying on the idea that people will reward me once I have made something worthwhile. Stifling success doesn't get anyone anywhere except those who are already somewhere and wanna prevent people from doing the same.

We'll just have to agree to disagree with the intention and approach in this thread.

I see you wanting to contribute, wanting to be eager and helpful, but I also see a rush for payment, immaturity and attitude in this thread. I am sure you mean well, I really do, but you have to go back to the first page and re read this thread from our perspective and you'll see it.

I won't argue or debate this anymore. Like I said, xF will be the industry leader and then everyone will want to connect with it, so it will come at some point.

Have a good Christmas,

Jamie

Since Joomla, Jfusion are essentially completing a huge milestone ... Joomla 1.6. (Almost 3 years).

from Joomla.org,
We plan to release version 1.6.0 on 10 January 2011, assuming we don't find any High or Medium High issues that we are unable to fix before then.

::nods::

J! 1.6 is supposed to be available sometime today :).

Honestly one of the big things I'm looking forward to is the ability to makes modules show up on all pages *except* specified ones instead of on all pages or on just pages specified. That may seem like a minor change, but it's a HUGE difference when you are building/maintaining a complex site. ;)

Look forward to a jFusion plugin for XF too... We'd like to do a rebuild of our main site this year, but I need J! in the mix as well as a comprehensive gallery solution that I can migrate our 16,000+ photoplog images to. REALLY hoping for an XF gallery that's heavily integrated with XF, not just a parallel system that simply shares a user-base.

Anyway, looking forward to loading J! 1.6 up on our testbed shortly!

I have posted a request for someone to build this at Jfusion... TrueMedia has been the only person to respond so far... I need this software now and can not pospone projects any longer.. I am going to post this project on Freelancers tonight.. There should be a lot of hungry programers wanting the work...

I need this software now and can not pospone projects any longer.. I am going to post this project on Freelancers tonight.. There should be a lot of hungry programers wanting the work...

swatkins: this plugin could take either 15 or 300 hours to make, depending on what you want. You'd have to know alot about Joomla (1.6 release this week!) to be able to write up a good proposal. If you have the time, post it here and see if people think your description is what they want as well. As with all things involving Contracting ... the devil is in the details.

I also suggest you "Private Message" everyone in this thread who said they wanted a Jfusion plugin. It'll give them a chance to get involved financially and from a design point of view.

:) Good Luck !

Top Bottom