It would be really cool if...

• Thread starter Thread starter Vincent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vincent

You guys made this open-source, and free to use. I'm sure many people would donate to help keep you guys going.

I love Open Source software, and I contribute to it from time-to-time.... However, there's no way I'd want Kier & Mike making XF open source. These guys deserve to get paid for the wonderful product they are creating, and XF will be well worth the money :)

Ehr, what's up with everybody taking snipes at open source? As far as I know, stuff like Drupal, WordPress, Joomla and phpBB aren't made by some scriptkiddies that have too much free time as suggested elsewhere in this topic. It's actually very solid software used by a lot of people and as far as I know, making enough money to continue.

That being said, it's just fine that they will be asking money for XenForo. It's great software already, it will only get better and you're not forced to use it by anyone. They deserve the money they'll gain through it, and I'm sure a good deal will go to future development, ensuring even better software.

Feel free to make a 20 millions donation to Kier, I'm pretty sure he will release it as GPL. :)

It would be under a BSD or MIT license if I were going to open-source it, not GPL.

But as I'm not expecting any $20m donations in the near future, XenForo will be commercially licensed.

Hello Kier,

is there any chance you release this software for "Testers" ? I am fine to pay for this software, but would like to install it on my website rather sooner than later.
I am very willing to test and report bugs and also help in translating into german language. I do like testing very much and have the ability to find bugs.

Is there any chance for that ?

Many thanks !

I am ok with XenForo being a commercial product as long as its price is not sky-high.
This comment is in no way meant as an attack or anything (my words have been misinterpreted before on this board today) - but, it doesnt matter what you are ok with or not, if Kier and Mike and co want to charge $500+ for this software, that is their prerogative, and I doubt that any complaining would make any difference, as no matter what the price, there's always gonna be someone complaining about it.

Meh, I don't mind paying for it, as long as it's not as expensive as vBulletin was. I had to stop using it because I couldn't afford it anymore. But really, I think anything over $100 is too much.
And if it can't be open-source, then can it still have mods?

Open source is not the same as viewable source. You can view the source code of vBulletin and most likely XenForo just fine. However, that doesn't mean it's open source in any way.

So yeah, you can make mods for it, hell you can probably pretty much customize anything you want. It's still not open source, nor is it likely it'll ever be.

I don't even get the mindset that would result in a question like "can't you make this free?" Do you go to work every day and say "hey, skip the paycheck - just donate to me if you feel I've done a good job"? No? Well, why not? Same difference.

I don't even get the mindset that would result in a question like "can't you make this free?" Do you go to work every day and say "hey, skip the paycheck - just donate to me if you feel I've done a good job"? No? Well, why not? Same difference.

I would suspect the person asking is still a student... You remember those days, don't you? If everyone just did what they liked to do we wouldn't need money at all. :)

Plus most big software makers offer big discounts to students.

You guys made this open-source, and free to use. I'm sure many people would donate to help keep you guys going.
Fantasy: People will continue to donate and support the software.
Reality: People donate, a little bit, ONCE.

There's plenty of free forum software out there, and the quality is what you would expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom