Is this enough to run xenforo

Iresh

Going to buy
20GB Disk Space
512mb memory
1 core cpu
CentOS 7 w/cPanel from A2 hosting, is this enough to run a forum like 20k+ members?

or suggest me a good host?

I don't think we really have information here. How many active users? Because that probably isn't going to work if you've got 1,000 people posting at once.

I don't think we really have information here. How many active users? Because that probably isn't going to work if you've got 1,000 people posting at once.
it's a empty forum, going to hit 20k members with this plan, is it enough?

I'd go bigger especially on RAM especially if you think it's gonna grow that much. Probably wouldn't hurt to get more disk space and more CPU cores as well. In the beginning stages that might be fine but cPanel is going to consume so much of that 512MB of RAM it's not funny. I'm no expert though.

Going to buy
20GB Disk Space
512mb memory
1 core cpu
CentOS 7 w/cPanel from A2 hosting, is this enough to run a forum like 20k+ members?

or suggest me a good host?
I would go to the next biggest plan A2 hosting has.

As others have said, you are going to fairly quickly run yourself out of RAM if the site actually gets busy. CPU would be next. Then disk space. You're only looking at probably slightly over 12 GB of free disk space after OS install and such, which is nothing for a forum of that size.

Going to buy
20GB Disk Space
512mb memory
1 core cpu

it's a empty forum, going to hit 20k members with this plan, is it enough?

If people are only viewing pages (such as guests), they are only connecting to your site and causing a load while they are actually downloading the site content to their browser. Posting also adds a load but generally speaking in the time between the original loading of a page and making a post that one person would not be adding any load.

If right now there were 300 actual people on your site the probability of all 300 of them making a post at the same exact time is extremely minimal but that has nothing to do with how many members you have which could be hundreds of times larger than your current viewership. That is what you need to consider.

You could have a million members and it doesn't really change anything, ultimately the question you should be asking is the maximum concurrent users you would expect to have at any given time and if your server can handle that.

Now that I think about this, I assume its a VPS, right? If so, it probably doesn't matter. Buy it now and when it slows down (or before if you're watching metrics), buy more power.

Top Bottom