Is this a problem with Xenforo, or Imagemagick?

DarkGizmo

Okay so I've tried asking my host for help but we can't seem to get a proper solution....

if you see my profile http://revillution.com/members/smokey.1/ You can see in my avatar area the frog is animated properly, but if you look anywhere else on the board, it's slow and laggy/sluggish......can this be resolved within Xenforo? Or is it an issue with Imagemagick? someone please shed some light on this......the image appears fine in a few places but in most, it's laggy and gittery.......this goes for every animated gif i used...so it's not the GIF itself, something is wrong in either XF or imagemagick....

If you have access to it, might be worth it to make sure ImageMagick is updated in your server
I just did this ...

1) Downloaded your dancing frog avatar
2) Ran convert 1.gif -resize 80X80 1s.gif

.... granted, that is not exactly what XenForo does since it uses the imagick extension rather than running the command line binary, but at least that shows that ImageMagick can resize the gif

My version is
Version: ImageMagick 6.7.8-10

The .gif works fine on my site. Have you gone into Style Properties -> General, checked allow animation and given it a multiplier of 1?

That's already done....

Edit: I don't have access to it.....this is from my host:
Hello,

We're running the latest version 3.1.0RC2. Would you be able to contact Xenforo asking them what version they're recommending users run? Although I don't think we're going to be able to fix this as we need this version for as it fixes other issues.

Not sure if that makes any difference......

I'm surprised the animated gif works fine when used as a background ...
But, yeah, the resizing is the problem
http://revillution.com/data/avatars/s/0/1.jpg?1369342851 <-- isolated from the page, still bad animation

I did a copy of his avatar over to my desktop and uploaded it as mine on my forum and the frames that are showing in your example image aren't for me. You can see a quick .mov of it at http://twowheeldemon.com/examples/example.mov (warning it's 15.8mb in size and will only be there for a short time).

Thanks Tracy, I just sent your message to Hawkhost.....gonna see if there's something on their end they can do. :-) Also forwarded your vid to them (I uploaded it to my own host in case yo take it down before they can see it) so we'll see if they can fix the issue for me

Thanks Tracy, I just sent your message to Hawkhost.....gonna see if there's something on their end they can do. :) Also forwarded your vid to them (I uploaded it to my own host in case yo take it down before they can see it) so we'll see if they can fix the issue for me

Just signed up on your site and was trying to upload your avatar to use for mine to see if it has the same problem. No ability to upload avatars for new members?

Just uploaded an animated and it's displaying fine on your site. The one I downloaded from you won't.
EDIT: Some others I tried did the same thing yours is doing - and they work fine for my forum - so pretty sure it is your host setup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom