Is it possible to chargeback after purchasing the license?

SloothWorks

Hi,

I wonder what happens if I purchase XenForo with eCheck through PayPal and apply a chargeback or refund or something after that?

I'm asking this because someone is going to purchase me a XenForo with eCheck on PayPal and going to give me login details to customer area on xenforo.com.

I know I can change the mail adress (or can I?) afterwards in order to prevent him getting the account back from me.

But I wonder what is the possibility that he could apply a chargeback from eCheck and scam me? That's not only my problem but I also wonder how XenForo itself deals with chargebacks? What if someone purchase a license, download the latest copy and apply a chargeback?

Last edited:
All in all, if you have doubts about this person, you absolutely shouldn't consider going about it this way, and you should find another way. If you contact us, we may be able to offer alternative payment arrangements such as a bank transfer.

If a license is purchased and the transaction is subsequently reversed, the license will be revoked.

No, the email address cannot usually be changed, so you should ensure the account is created in your name, but additionally we never recommend sharing account details. If something goes wrong and it has been because you've shared your account details, there may be little we can do to help.

If you have any further questions on the matter, please, Contact Us.

Just to add, PayPal eCheck in general sounds fishy. At my XenForo business, we've had lots of phony eCheck payments where a person pays using eCheck. PayPal doesn't say payment is complete until it is (which is a mistake a lot of people make, they think PayPal still does as it did a long time ago) and they contact us to tell us they paid and don't have their product (generally, we are meant to give it to them at this point, we don't until a payment successfully happens). The idea is that they have the product and didn't have to pay for it. Not once, out of a lot of eCheck payments, have *any* of them cleared in my case.

I would be careful with eChecks, the whole idea seems like a big scam to get free software, to me.

As Chris said, if you have any doubts about the person, don't deal with them.

PayPal eCheck payments are safe as the payment is mode through the party's bank account. I have been dealing a PayPal eCheck payments for a long time without even a single incident of fraud... so i wonder what are you talking about... :rolleyes:

PayPal eCheck payments are safe as the payment is mode through the party's bank account. I have been dealing a PayPal eCheck payments for a long time without even a single incident of fraud... so i wonder what are you talking about...
Same here. I see them a lot in my store. The transaction only takes place once the funds hit my account. No problem.

Are you dealing with physical goods? That would make a lot of difference. When purchasing electronic goods people use echeck to get product immediately, before check clears, then cancel check. They hope for badly designed cart that would allow download on pending purchase or gullible website owners.

Are you dealing with physical goods? That would make a lot of difference. When purchasing electronic goods people use echeck to get product immediately, before check clears, then cancel check. They hope for badly designed cart that would allow download on pending purchase or gullible website owners.
Both.

It makes no difference. Electronic goods are not released (ie no download link) until the payment clears.

However I have had people claim a refund from paypal on digital goods even after a normal payment. They got the download link then complain to Paypal they didn't. makes no difference whether eCheque or not, there are scum out there.

Both.

It makes no difference. Electronic goods are not released (ie no download link) until the payment clears.

However I have had people claim a refund from paypal on digital goods even after a normal payment. They got the download link then complain to Paypal they didn't. makes no difference whether eCheque or not, there are scum out there.
No, of course there are, what me and Arty are saying is that eCheck is used a lot for scams.

PayPal, back in the day, declared eCheck as cleared before it cleared. They stopped that quickly after it was used for scamming a lot. Unfortunately, there is no distinction generally between sent and cleared last time I checked, so they contact you saying payment went through but they didn't get their item. When you check your quick statement, it says it went through also but it's not in your balance. So I looked more into it and it says not cleared. So I say we have to wait until cleared and they push you pretty hard to get you to give them the product.

In a few days, obviously, the check doesn't clear.

I know some people use eCheck legitimately, but the majority of people use bank transfer or debit/credit cards these days. eChecks have always been a scam in my experience.

Again, as Arty said, people hope for badly designed carts to get away with it. And the last sentence is kinda irrelevant to this issue, every payment can be charged back, but this specifically doesn't even get you the money in the first place.

Hey guys, can you tell me what are the chances of scam with PrePaid cards? And If I don't purchase XenForo via PayPal (guess I'm gonna still have to use it to purchase via prepaid card tho) is there still a chance to chargeback? I mean like you get the prepaid card from the local store and you put the amount of money you wanted to put enough for XenForo license and there shouldn't be a way to chargeback or scam, am I right?

Last edited:
Why not simply have the person transfer enough funds into your PayPal account (I assume you have one) and then pay it directly from their. He/She can cover the fees for "gifting" you the funds.

Why not simply have the person transfer enough funds into your PayPal account (I assume you have one) and then pay it directly from their. He/She can cover the fees for "gifting" you the funds.
lol. we're talking about scam here. and the way you're suggesting is the best way of scam. he can chargeback after sending me the money through paypal especially as "gift". beside that, paypal is not the case since I cant use it.

lol. we're talking about scam here. and the way you're suggesting is the best way of scam. he can chargeback after sending me the money through paypal especially as "gift". beside that, paypal is not the case since I cant use it.
Not if you wait and not immediately spend it. Patience (as the saying goes) is a virtue. You simply wait until the time that they can reverse it expires and then "it's yours, all yours". ;)
As for being unable to use it, then a bank check and a wait period till clearance would work....

Top Bottom