Is a Xenforo CMS ever coming?

Not having a CMS is a big reason why I never switched my site over to XF. At this point XenPorta is good enough for me so as long as a solution like this exist in XF 2 I will be switching to XF. Last I don't see XF coming out with a CMS unless the hire more developers. Creating a CMS, building a new forum system and maintain XF 1 would be too much for 3 people.

edit: changed my to more

Last edited:
I personally dont want XF to have a CMS... and not because I have a vested interest in my own product... but because I am very much against "feature creep" and bloat. I prefer my applications to do as little as possible, and then have addons to do the things missing. Like Google Chrome, by default its just a web browser, it doesn't have all the extra stuff that other browsers have, which end up bringing the performance of those browsers down. But if there is something I need, there is an extension for it.

I've seen what happens to forum software when it tries to be more than just forum software... and it sucks.

Two developers built a much better forum platform than other big companies.

Not sure what your point is. What I was stating was they wouldn't be able to build a CMS that meets expectations while maintaining an existing forum platform and building another.

Not sure what your point is. What I was stating was they wouldn't be able to build a CMS that meets expectations while maintaining an existing forum platform and building another.
My point is that the number of people involved in the project doesn't reflect how good it will be. A CMS can be developed as an addon and wouldn't be too much time-consuming for an experienced coder. However XF developers have been taking excellent decisions and if they haven't starting developing a CMS (or hired Brogan to make CTA Featured Threads & Portal an official addon) it may be for a reason.

My point is that the number of people involved in the project doesn't reflect how good it will be. A CMS can be developed as an addon and wouldn't be too much time-consuming for an experienced coder. However XF developers have been taking excellent decisions and if they haven't starting developing a CMS (or hired Brogan to make CTA Featured Threads & Portal an official addon) it may be for a reason.

A CMS that would meet the same quality as XF would require a fair amount of time to develop and support. Fact is no matter how good the developers are they can only do so much. A CMS has been one of the top equested features for XF for a while and one of the only things keeping a lot of VB4 users from switching. If creating a quality CMS was a simple as you make it out to be then XF would so as it would be a major blow to IB. Keeping up with XF 1 and developing XF 2 is a full time job for them and considering XF 2 will likely not go gold for another year I would say their hands are full.

If anyone ever asks "what CMS do you use?" I say "I use XenForo" and then tell them what it is, what it does, and if it will work for them.

I believe XenForo IS a CMS that only needs XFMG integrated as the media manager for the entire forum. That way we can use videos IN threads really fast and easy, giving very rich content based threads (which people love). What else could you possibly need that isn't met by one of the zillion addons?

If anyone ever asks "what CMS do you use?" I say "I use XenForo" and then tell them what it is, what it does, and if it will work for them.

I believe XenForo IS a CMS that only needs XFMG integrated as the media manager for the entire forum. That way we can use videos IN threads really fast and easy, giving very rich content based threads (which people love). What else could you possibly need that isn't met by one of the zillion addons?

The benefit to a XF CMS is it creates a central add-on for developers to develop additional widgets and add-ons for, not to mention a company like XF is more likely to stand behind their product than a developer that is selling the add-on.

So to answer the question on why doesn't XF create a CMS I think it is pretty simple, let me walk you through it.

1) Would XF set out to create a CMS that would not be best in class?
Answer: No, XF always tries to create the best product possible

2) What is the best CMS available?
Answer: Wordpress is the most wide use platform on the internet

3) Are the XF developers of creating that type of caliber CMS
Answer: Yes, why not

4) Would XF be able to provide a price advantage for using XF CMS over Wordpress
Answer: No, Wordpress is FREE

5) Would users still buy the XF CMS over Wordpress?
Answer: Yes, because it would be fully integrated

Let's review:
XF would need to create the possible CMS on the planet to meet their own expectations and they would be competing for best in class against organizations that give away their CMS. While maintaining this best in class CMS the XF team would also need to be maintaining XF 1, XF 2, RM and Media. It would appear the challenges are XF would need to hire additional developers and at least one of the developers would need to take on more of a PM role. IF XF is successful in creating a CMS that lives up to their forums then they would crow their business and tab into a new market. If XF was not successful in not only creating a best in class CMS but also maintaining their exist platforms it would tarnish their image and they would be compared to IB. Users would also blame waiting on bug fixes / new features in existing XF software on XF developing something most would never use,.

In conclusion XF likely isn't developing a CMS because they feel the risk is not worth the award, or they aren't into making money. I am going with the first conclusion.

@AndrewSimm I don't think you are getting it, XenForo is a CMS out of the box. There are many add ons to enhance the CMS functionality of XenForo. A lot of what you have stated thus far is based on your lack of understanding and appreciation for what Xenforo is and as you argued, it isn't for you.

@AndrewSimm I don't think you are getting it, XenForo is a CMS out of the box. There are many add ons to enhance the CMS functionality of XenForo. A lot of what you have stated thus far is based on your lack of understanding and appreciation for what Xenforo is and as you argued, it isn't for you.

When myself and others refer to a CMS what we are asking for is a product that handles standalone articles as well as a system that allows for the use of "widgets" and one developed by XF. Basically we want a front page for our website. I understand XF handles "content" so it must be a CMS but that isn't the definition commonly used by those referring to a CMS.

My sites can be broken down into 3 pieces, articles / front page, forum, custom.

I will forever buy my forum software from a company since it there be likely also be a company that provides the solution I need.

My website will forever have a custom coded aspect. (I track college football prospects and coded a standalone CMS to handle this).

Last is the CMS and while I could just download Wordpress I prefer to limit the number of different platforms my site uses as it is easier to keep up with updates and security risk.

At this point I plan to switch to XF when XF 2 is released (or around 6 months after) and I will likely have to buy a plugin with a developer. I simply would just prefer it be XF.

BTW in your post you basically call me too stupid to understand XF or the concept of a CMS while not addressing a single point I made.

What is your point? I've yet to see anything other than your putting others down and XenForo staff and their business practice. Lots of presumptions and statements presented as facts with no qualifications.
When myself and others refer to a CMS what we are asking for is a product that handles standalone articles as well as a system that allows for the use of "widgets" and one developed by XF.
That's what it does out of the box.
Basically we want a front page for our website. I understand XF handles "content" so it must be a CMS but that isn't the definition commonly used by those referring to a CMS.
What you are referring to here is a portal not a CMS and because you and the others you refer to and seem to represent want to call a portal a CMS (Content Management System) there is little anyone can say to convince you otherwise.

What is your point? I've yet to see anything other than your putting others down and XenForo staff and their business practice. Lots of presumptions and statements presented as facts with no qualifications.

What you are referring to here is a portal not a CMS and because you and the others you refer to and seem to represent want to call a portal a CMS (Content Management System) there is little anyone can say to convince you otherwise.

No XF does not do that out of the box

The qualifications were in my post and I have never said anything negative about the staff. In short I said they don't have a large enough staff to create a product that lives up to their own standards while creating XF 2 and maintaining XF 1. I also said it wouldn't be worth it to them due to the competition already in place and the fact competing products are FREE. Sure that is an opinion but having enough people is very valid.

XF does not support a standalone article page, widget system out of the box. A CMS would allow for sections, categories, authors, widgets, layouts and all the permissions to handle this. Sure add-ons allow this to happen but XF doesn't by itself do this and I would prefer to keep other non XF developers code to a mininum. What I am talking about is creating pages that have nothing to do with the forum or do not start in the forum.

Last XF does not refer to itself as a CMS, and when asked about a CMS they never state it already is one. Xenforo is forum platform whereas Wordpress and Joomla are CMSs (as well as some other things) Portals are different than a CMS in that a portal content is largely based elsewhere but displayed differently on another page.

CMS for Xenforo in core?
That is bad idea, xenforo its forum software and i like it, jut like this, if some people want CMS then hire someone to make plugin, for me CMS in core very bad.
I don't agree with this at all... the best good thing and powerful that xenforo have and made me to transfer from vbulletin is that they a core framework that doesn't affect performance like vbulletin which have many big php files that are used on every page load and this will affect site performance unlike xenforo... so adding cms to xenforo will not affect the site performance at all.

Aren't the Resource and Media add-on's an attempt to a CMS already? Every month I keep thinking I should dump them both but I keep hoping xenForo will somehow pull it all together.

I bought both Resource and Media add-on's in hope they would bring xenForo closer to a professional CMS, and although I appreciate the effort in all the work, they really are a dysfunctional CMS.

The Resource add-on is strangely redundant and confusingly awkward but so close to becoming more of something better. The Media is just plain goofy.

The Resource add-on is ideally the developers add-on's and pretty much bloat for the outside world that knows nothing about managing forums.

I suspect most people visiting a xenForo forum with either the Media or Resource add-on is left thinking... where do I post and why is the Resource or Media section dragging me back and forth like this... :confused:

What are the plans for the Resource add-on in version 2?

Last edited:
I personally would like to see a xF CMS/Articles/ETC. Addon/System
Not only to bring in more money to Xenforo as a financial base for whatever it is needed but for a better integration and support too.
As a customer i can be sure it´s up2date/supported as long xenforo exsists.
But you would probably need more Staff...

Edit: If it´s released as an addon it´s up to everyone to buy it or not.

Top Bottom