Is a Xenforo CMS ever coming?

and not start branching off to build other things.
They need to compete, and the competition has many in-house add-ons that give extra usability to forum owners. If they wouldn't like to branch out, they wouldn't purchase the gallery add-on from Chris and add him as a developer to the team. So I'm afraid you will be disappointed through time since new add-ons would come out to extend the forum usability and also to generate more profit (which every company out there wants to accomplish). If they wouldn't branch out, they would be a limited and narrow company that doesn't provide the "entire package" for forum owners. Take Apple for example, they were building computers for decades and it didn't really help them - they were a company close to a bankruptcy until they came out with the iPod and later on with the iPhone, so focusing on one product isn't always the best idea.

Such as? I would remind you that most of XF's clients aren't enterprise level customers, so pre-made CMSs that cost ten thousands of dollars is not really an option and thus we ask for a CMS add-on. And don't go to the Wordpress route please..
I prefer OpenSource CMSystems. Personally I prefer TYPO3 or TYPO3 Neos. But you have to invest a lot of time to understand and master them as they are quiet complex. But there are also less complex systems available:
https://contao.org/en/
http://www.joomla.org/

Such as? I would remind you that most of XF's clients aren't enterprise level customers, so pre-made CMSs that cost ten thousands of dollars is not really an option and thus we ask for a CMS add-on. And don't go to the Wordpress route please..

"Don't go down the Wordpress route please"?

Because... why? Because it'd be silly to mention the single most popular CMS system in the world, one that runs a meaningful portion of the entire internet? Yeah, let's definitely not go down that route. That's crazy talk.

"the single most popular CMS system in the world,

Sorry, but afaik Wordpress is still a webblog system, which is usefull for smaler websites, but is isn´t a full CMS system. I like it, i use it often for customers, but never the less, it is not realy comparable with real cms systems.

That's crazy talk.
What's crazy are gazillion bugs that I reported in 2011 and are fixed right now in 2015 - that is what crazy about Wordpress. Open source/free software as CMS or forum would always be junk. I'm using Wordpress for more than 10 years now, and I can assure you, that's the the least worst CMS out there without breaking your bank account, but it's far from usable as a complete CMS.

what would a "cms" version of xenforo really do differently that you can't already manipulate the current system to do?

i've been able to make my site do just about everything i needed to, and if it couldn't then there's addons.

xenforo is a cms.

Sorry, but afaik Wordpress is still a webblog system, which is usefull for smaler websites, but is isn´t a full CMS system. I like it, i use it often for customers, but never the less, it is not realy comparable with real cms systems.

What's crazy are gazillion bugs that I reported in 2011 and are fixed right now in 2015 - that is what crazy about Wordpress. Open source/free software as CMS or forum would always be junk. I'm using Wordpress for more than 10 years now, and I can assure you, that's the the least worst CMS out there without breaking your bank account, but it's far from usable as a complete CMS.

Neither of these things hits the point, though.

When you're a small software shop building an integration with another platform, the most important thing is volume. It's expensive (opportunity cost) for small teams to dedicate resources anywhere, so picking off very high volume targets gives you the most bang for the buck. It doesn't matter if you think WP is a true CMS (which it is), or whether it's full of bugs (probably also true). The fact is, if you have time to build one CMS integration, it should probably be WordPress since that hits the majority of the market - and not by a small amount, either.

Reactions: RDR
I see that various big sites that uses Xenforo has custom CMS (created from scratch). An example is Avforums.

A Xenforo CMS is important because is difficult to have a good integration between Xenforo and a third part CMS.

So Yes, a Xenforo CMS would be a GREAT plus.

Last edited:
A Xenforo CMS would be nice, but you know what, I'm not sure that I agree that it HAS to have one to thrive or compete. A lot of people only need a good forum platform, for one thing, and two, those who also do need a cms can usually find other solutions, ways to use already existing CMS's alongside Xenforo. If you want a bridge and other integration but can't code it yourself, and can't afford to hire someone else to do it for you, maybe just do without? I see plenty of websites, some of them belonging to million dollar companies, that force you to register for their main site and again for their forums, there's no real integration there, but it doesn't stop most people from using those sites. And let's put the shoe on the other foot. If you were interested in a CMS solution that didn't have an integrated forum, or the bridges you were looking for to other forums, would you insist they develop their own integrated forum platform, claim they need to do so to compete, etc. You could, of course, but I'm not sure how many people would agree with you. So yeah, a XF CMS would be great, but I think it might be going a little overboard to make dire predictions for XF, as some of you have, if it doesn't rush to develop one. IPB, for example, already had one before you ever heard of XF, but did it stop you from buying a copy of XF? And yes, I know, you can argue that you'd buy even more copies of XF if it did have one, etc., but then you're free to go get a copy of IPB if you really need it - or <shudder> vBulletin. For the record, though, my personal prediction is that there will be a XF CMS, but it might be a year or two off, so best exercise some patience. :cool:

They call it a CMS now, but I think they just created a mess.

I wonder what people think a "CMS from XenForo" should include? A frontpage? a portal for new posts? widgets? just a simple news system?

(This isnt some veiled hint.... just many people have different ideas for what a CMS should be....)

I wonder what people think a "CMS from XenForo" should include? A frontpage? a portal for new posts? widgets? just a simple news system?

(This isnt some veiled hint.... just many people have different ideas for what a CMS should be....)
Right, but it wouldn't be a one time product and will improve with time based on users feedback - like the forum is. The forum layout and functionality also changed quite drastically in the last 15 years, so nothing is fixed and based on users usability and mainstream technology.

It's expensive (opportunity cost) for small teams to dedicate resources anywhere,
I don't really agree with that. Based on the massive threads that were created, and are still on the rise, about CMS - this is going to generate a lot of revenue that could possibly add more people to the team to even develop just the CMS software as it. If the CMS would be a stand a lone product (like IPB did with their new 4th version - that all add-ons could basically work stand alone and this creates a huge market and usability to developers), then it would bring even greater revenue to the company. I also understand that this is not the right time to develop such system since XF 2.0 is in development and it is more important currently than developing add-ons when the core needs more polish to adjust itself to today's technology and request from customers throughout the years.

frontpage? CTA Featured Threads.
portal for new posts? widgets or CTA Featured Threads.
news system? you have a node tree. make a news node. then post a widget for that node and call the widget "news".

got those covered already.

frontpage? CTA Featured Threads.
portal for new posts? widgets or CTA Featured Threads.
news system? you have a node tree. make a news node. then post a widget for that node and call the widget "news".

got those covered already.

Exactly my point, so what could XenForo offer that people want that isnt already available?

Right, which is why the Huffington Post with 30-50 Million unique users each month uses it!

The NY Times, Techcrush, Tribune, etc......all fooled by this non-CMS for small sites!
Mercedes-Benz, Renault, Slashgear, BBC......all must have smaller websites than we do!

Exactly my point, so what could XenForo offer that people want that isnt already available?

Something basic that just works.
For example, as I remember, you can't even wrap text fully around an imagine in many of the XF add-on's or systems. Images should be able to easily be left, center, right, have captions and borders, etc.

I don't think a full CMS is needed - but a true "articles" system which was easier to create than the semi-custom setups like the XF corporate site (manuals, etc.) would be nice.

xenzine is part of the way there - if it weren't for the "graphic intensive" setup I would have probably adopted it. I don't like those pinterest style layouts, preferring actual text hierarchies and/or clear category layouts.

We are all wrong guys, Xenforo is a CMS - let's stop requesting it.
Last time I checked, CMS stood for Content Management System. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't topics and posts content? Does not Xenforo manage said content. Then does it not stand to reason that XemForo is a content management system?

CMS is a simple acronym whose functions can be filled by a variety of processes. Just because you think a CMS is something different doesn't make it so..

Top Bottom