Is a Xenforo CMS ever coming?

I saw that someone said "API", well, who is interested in official API have to like the first post of the thread in my signature. :)

Yeah still waiting for a Xenforo CMS too. That would be awesome! People have been asking for one for nearly 3 years now.

Mike said:
A good example is the CMS suggestion. This isn't a feature suggestion; this is a product suggestion, a potentially very complex product suggestion. While XenForo is a framework, it is primarily based around the forum software; that is presumably why you're all here. That is likely to be our primary product for the foreseeable future. While it may be worthwhile for us to create a CMS, this would have a knock on effect on everything else we do so this (or any new product) is not something we could take on lightly. In my opinion, it's unfair to cite the lack of a CMS as a failing of a forum software package. It may be something that you need and it may be provided by others, but it's still separate from a forum and our primary product. If you need a CMS that is natively integrated with your forum, unless there's an add-on that you're comfortable with, XenForo is unlikely to fit that and I'm not in a position to say if or when it would fit that.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/whats-next-for-xenforo.79603/page-38#post-889527

The Resources can be easily transformed into a nice CMS, with few style edits. That is what I use for my main home page and it suits me perfectly as forums complement.

The Resources can be easily transformed into a nice CMS, with few style edits
looking at your site a few style edits don`t seem to be the only thing you have edited. Looks like you`re running multiple instances of the RM.

Personally I hope Xenforo never goes to a CMS. this is a forum, and changing direction would do nothing more than cause lack of focus in the forum area. Unless they added a whole new team JUST to do the CMS. There's no other way.

Leave the CMS to CMS software, let's keep this focus on the forum!

I watched that whole process happen with several pieces of software and not once was it a good result

I say if you want a CMS, get some sort of bridge/glue to bring a cms into your site, and blend it with your forum, don't try to do it with just the forums. Doing so keeps you with the best of both worlds. full mature CMS platform and a full mature forum

I watched that whole process happen with several pieces of software and not once was it a good result

I say if you want a CMS, get some sort of bridge/glue to bring a cms into your site, and blend it with your forum,
Agreed.

Personally I hope Xenforo never goes to a CMS. this is a forum, and changing direction would do nothing more than cause lack of focus in the forum area. Unless they added a whole new team JUST to do the CMS. There's no other way.

Leave the CMS to CMS software, let's keep this focus on the forum!

I say if you want a CMS, get some sort of bridge/glue to bring a cms into your site, and blend it with your forum, don't try to do it with just the forums. Doing so keeps you with the best of both worlds. full mature CMS platform and a full mature forum
Most big forums and websites out there are using their front page as an article page, not a forum thread page. Thus, if you would like to make your users an easy life and give them a direct and quick platform to content, they would be your users for very long period of time. When you start to point them with gazillion links to many threads in your forum, then this is a problem. They layout of an article isn't the same as the layout of a thread - very long articles couldn't be read easily as a thread while in a CMS there is more flexibility in terms of options and layout. You argument then could possibly include the resource manager and elastic search, as well as the gallery add-on, but I bet you use most of them and they also quite popular around the community. CMS, if it would ever happen, is going to be an add-on or separate product like ES/RM/XG - it shouldn't interfere with forum development.

Not sure what you thought I meant, but most big sites are absolutely not using forum software to manage their front page, they're using a cms of some sort and use a plugin or other sort of glue to share the db with their forums and their site. I've been doing this a very long time (development and design for 27+ years, we put our first client on the web in 1996) and we develop sites and web applications for a living. I don't' remember any enterprise level site even mentioning using forum software to manage their content.

and the site I'll be using this with has been running strong with a very active user base for over 7 years (launched in 08) with several million posts/threads. What I've personally seen is most active forum members don't even bookmark the sites anymore, they bookmark the forums. but again, I have yet to have any clients with enterprise level websites ask to use a forum to manage their content. if anything it's an ancillary request to see if we can show a widget or something with the most recent threads/posts.

I would advise any client against trying to wedge a forum into a website structure. But having things like the resource manager open the door for a developer to build out their own CMS utilizing the forum's db and features.

There are PLENTY of very well written and matured CMS platforms out there, there's really no reason to try to reinvent the wheel and try to make a forum a true CMS. They are two very different things. My experience has been that any platoform that tries to do things like suffer on both ends. and I would much prefer the developers focus on forums, since that's what Xenforo is, and not allow R*D+Dev suffer in the forum department to try making a CMS. i don't know of a single example where that has worked. Xenforo (unless I'm mistaken) is a community driven platform, not a CMS

There are PLENTY of very well written and matured CMS platforms out there
Such as? I would remind you that most of XF's clients aren't enterprise level customers, so pre-made CMSs that cost ten thousands of dollars is not really an option and thus we ask for a CMS add-on. And don't go to the Wordpress route please..

they're using a cms of some sort and use a plugin or other sort of glue to share the db with their forums and their site
Right, and we don't have gazillion dollars to do this - but at the same time, we would also like to share content in the home page of our forum in an article-like style and not a thread style.

But having things like the resource manager open the door for a developer to build out their own CMS utilizing the forum's db and features.
The RM would and could not be a CMS and it doesn't matter how much you would try to edit it.

well your definition of 'big site' might be very different from mine, but it sounds like your definition of 'site' might also be different.

XF is a newer company, of course they don't have a plethora of huge sites using them yet, but based on their track record they certainly will. I just hope they keep to a roadmap, and not start branching off to build other things.

as for the RM, i assumed it was a content management add-on, based on its description but i definitely could be wrong, I haven't made the change yet, we just finally got away from VB. but i do know of the core people involved here, and hope they do the same thing they did before and build the best forum software on the planet, that's all I care about. if I want a CMS I'll go get one.

Top Bottom