XF 2.0 iPhone Photo Orientation

rfc0001

Lately I've been having a significant number of users post iPhone photos that have incorrect orientation. I know support for EXIF orientation tags has already been implemented in XF, and I believe it's working (posting my own sideways orientation photos from my iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 11.4.1 works fine).

I had the user who posted a bunch of them email me a photo (outside of XF), and sure enough it was upside down in email too (on my Windows 10 PC using Mail app). But when I opened the same exact email on my iPhone 6s plus running the same version of iOS it was right-side up. So, then I saved it to my phone from the email attachment (right side up in Photos) and connected the phone to my PC via USB to browse the photos. In Windows Explorer all sideways photos show sideways, including ones I had taken and the one I saved, however when I copied them to my desktop all they ones I took with my iPhone 6s Plus rotated correctly - however the attachment sent via email was still upside down. So, this is completely bizarre - obviously there is metadata on the photo that it looks correct on my iPhone - both in mail and when saved, but obviously it's different meta data than is on photos taken with my phone (which correctly rotate when copied to my PC or uploaded to XF) since the same photo that was emailed to me looks correct on the iPhone but fails to rotate on my PC or XF - seems to be an issue with specific phone (iPhone 7) and/or image format.

Has anyone else seen this and gotten to the bottom it? Sure seems like an Apple bug, but of course searching for this just returns results from 4-5 years ago when Apple first started doing this.

I disabled all Add-ons and still able to repro (not able to repro on Xenforo Community), so seems something is amiss somewhere on the server....

Anyone know any XF configs/server software that would impact this? I can try re-installing ImageMagick/Imagick PECL extension.

Which version of ImageMagick/Imagick are you using?

You could try upgrading to a newer version.

As it seems to be working for most members, and only affecting some members, it doesn't appear to be an issue with Imagick and exif in general.

Which version of ImageMagick/Imagick are you using?

You could try upgrading to a newer version.

As it seems to be working for most members, and only affecting some members, it doesn't appear to be an issue with Imagick and exif in general.
Up to date:
  • Package ImageMagick-6.7.2.7-6.el6.x86_64 already installed and latest version
  • Package ImageMagick-devel-6.7.2.7-6.el6.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Reinstalled PHP PECL extension:
  • Imagick 3.4.3
It's happening a lot recently and with multiple people. The same exact photo uploaded from my phone to XF community and my forum behaves differently, so there has to be something causing that unless you have your file dimensions set up high enough it doesn't have to resize whereas mine does.

Top Bottom