1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPhone emails

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Morgain, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

I find I'm nowadays infested with emails arriving from my staff or students with no Subject line, and no name added after the one line message clearly banged off like a phone txt message.

I don't have an iPhone or any other gadget which sends emails. All my emails are done via laptop or desktop. So I don't understand the other end experience on this.

Is it difficult to add a Subject line on gadgets?
    If I knew what was involved I could rebuke and advise more effectively.
    I do find this laziness a growing nuisance. It's difficult to handle a lot of email threads with blank Subject lines - I rely on it to triage priority to open and read/ action;
    and looking up the email address to see who this contact is, is a real pain waste of my time.
  2. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

iPhone (inbuilt or Gmail app) is same as email clients - a line/field under To/CC and before the body area to enter a subject line. If it's not being entered, the author is being lazy. I have a rule on my GMail to auto-respond to emails without a subject advising sender to send again, and the email is auto moved to trash.
    Morgain likes this.
  3. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

In agreement with the above poster, but let me add this:

If people send messages via the SMS/MMS function, the subject line can be disabled and thus not entered on each message. It's an option that can be turned on/off via the settings. I think by default, it's turned off IIRC.

Regular POP/IMAP email via the regular mail client has a subject line and if it's not used, they are just being lazy in that case.
    Morgain likes this.
  4. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I use the Mailbox App for iPhone now so I can't recall... but isn't it also true that if you try and send an email without a subject on the default iPhone Mail app that it alerts you?
    Morgain likes this.
  5. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

Yes, it does. A pop-up saying "Empty Subject" shows and basically says "This message has no subject....." You then can hit cancel to go back or choose send to finish sending the message without a subject.
    Morgain likes this.