Lack of interest Invite only registration?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
That's a good idea. Let the Admin decide who can register: open (all), invite only, by reference, and of course closed to new registrations.

Verify by reference would probably end all potential spammers.

I want to make the site exclusive at first like Facebook and Gmail were. I think it will help make it cool for the launch to get an account. Is it possible to make it so that registration is closed and only current members get 5 invites to give out, and they get 5 etc? Im assuming its only with a mod? That would be tres cool if you could make it one of the registration options in the admin cp.

I guess i can lock down the registrations and make the admin authorize each manually. Then just make a form with space to enter 5 emails and message the existing members with it and have them invite 5 people. Then go through the registrations and manually approve the emails on the list. Kind of a chore, but it wont be forever, just to make it 'exclusive' at first for a month or 2.

It should be possible to create an modification that will allow each user to generate 5 invite codes, then you would need to simply add an area on the registration form for that code, if entered the registration gets auto approved. If none was entered then they will simple be placed for admin authorisation.

This isn't something I have any personal interest in though, so if I do it, it wont be soon.

I would like such a feature. If you're a new community just starting up, it's a great feature to have.
You could implement it with multiple features already apart of XenForo, such as;
  • Earn a specified post count, awards you with one invite key.
  • Earn a specified trophy, awards you with one invite key.
I have seen a great invite only add-on for SMF, which allows members to generate a specified amount of keys per day. It can auto generate a administrator invite key and post it on the home page to attract more traffic, as guests try and redeem the code first. The post count award based system was built in. Had the option to send the key in a email to.

If implemented and activated, should require the invite key before you can proceed to the actual sign up page.
(or)
If implemented and activated, should require the invite key as a field on the actual sign up page.

/My opinion.

In VBulletin there is a mod called VB Advanced Registrations a script like that on here would be intresting.

I like the idea like a Beta idea. - It generates a code for five times then shows "You have used up all your invites come tomorrow" or something. It have to be a Generate Code button which goes un-usable after 5 clicks.

The basic code would be JS:
Code:
<script language="javascript">
// make sure the button is disabled first...
document.getElementById('btnNext').disabled = true;
// then enable the button in 5 seconds....
setTimeout("enableButton", 5000);
function enableButton() {
document.getElementById('btnNext').disabled = false;
}
</script>

But we'd have to improve it to make it only work after a certain amount of clicks and a cookie so it detects its been used up.

I think this invites only registration would be nice.

It can be something like a generated code in the members CP (members can generate the code and track who used the code)

Then upon registration the new member can enter that code which will allow him to register a new account.

This will be a great addon for private communities.

First version: Members are able to invite there friends into the forum (send mail).

Then, after i'm sure everything is working, i'd like to stop registrations and allow them only with invitations.

Then, after i'm sure everything is working, i'd like to stop registrations and allow them only with invitations.

I will be able to open Demonoid #2 then!
wink.png

Top Bottom