1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Invite only registration?

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by EfendiBey, Aug 2, 2010.

1. EfendiBey

EfendiBey Member

I think regulable register alternatives must be. for example for registration must be " open, closed and need invitation or reference"

Lawrence likes this.
  2. EfendiBey

EfendiBey Member

only do ı want it :) is tehere another view..

3. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. Let the Admin decide who can register: open (all), invite only, by reference, and of course closed to new registrations.

Verify by reference would probably end all potential spammers.

4. TNCclubman

TNCclubman Well-Known Member

I want to make the site exclusive at first like Facebook and Gmail were. I think it will help make it cool for the launch to get an account. Is it possible to make it so that registration is closed and only current members get 5 invites to give out, and they get 5 etc? Im assuming its only with a mod? That would be tres cool if you could make it one of the registration options in the admin cp.

gldtn, Michael Dance, Solozzo and 5 others like this.
  5. TNCclubman

I guess i can lock down the registrations and make the admin authorize each manually. Then just make a form with space to enter 5 emails and message the existing members with it and have them invite 5 people. Then go through the registrations and manually approve the emails on the list. Kind of a chore, but it wont be forever, just to make it 'exclusive' at first for a month or 2.

6. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

It should be possible to create an modification that will allow each user to generate 5 invite codes, then you would need to simply add an area on the registration form for that code, if entered the registration gets auto approved. If none was entered then they will simple be placed for admin authorisation.

This isn't something I have any personal interest in though, so if I do it, it wont be soon.

TNCclubman likes this.
  7. maidos

maidos Active Member

agree want invite system to and only allow usergroup to have ability to invite

8. Peter

Peter Active Member

Invite only like gmail beta would be cool to get a community started and at the same time restrict it to those that have the code.

TNCclubman likes this.
  9. Floris

Floris Guest

I wouldn't mind such a mod.

Michael Dance and TNCclubman like this.
  10. Tucker

Tucker New Member

I would like such a feature. If you're a new community just starting up, it's a great feature to have.
    You could implement it with multiple features already apart of XenForo, such as;
    • Earn a specified post count, awards you with one invite key.
    • Earn a specified trophy, awards you with one invite key.
    I have seen a great invite only add-on for SMF, which allows members to generate a specified amount of keys per day. It can auto generate a administrator invite key and post it on the home page to attract more traffic, as guests try and redeem the code first. The post count award based system was built in. Had the option to send the key in a email to.

If implemented and activated, should require the invite key before you can proceed to the actual sign up page.
    (or)
    If implemented and activated, should require the invite key as a field on the actual sign up page.

/My opinion.

TNCclubman likes this.
  11. Michael Dance

Michael Dance Active Member

In VBulletin there is a mod called VB Advanced Registrations a script like that on here would be intresting.

I like the idea like a Beta idea. - It generates a code for five times then shows "You have used up all your invites come tomorrow" or something. It have to be a Generate Code button which goes un-usable after 5 clicks.

The basic code would be JS:
    Code:
    <script language="javascript">
    // make sure the button is disabled first...
    document.getElementById('btnNext').disabled = true;
    // then enable the button in 5 seconds....
    setTimeout("enableButton", 5000);
    function enableButton() {
    document.getElementById('btnNext').disabled = false;
    }
    </script>
    But we'd have to improve it to make it only work after a certain amount of clicks and a cookie so it detects its been used up.

TNCclubman likes this.
  12. dvsDave

dvsDave Well-Known Member

I would say database tracking as a hidden profile field would be better than cookie tracking.

13. TNCclubman

community coming together to improve the product, love it!

Michael Dance likes this.
  14. SnG

SnG Member

I think this invites only registration would be nice.

It can be something like a generated code in the members CP (members can generate the code and track who used the code)

Then upon registration the new member can enter that code which will allow him to register a new account.

This will be a great addon for private communities.

Michael Dance likes this.
  15. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Anybody working on an add-on for this?

16. ragtek

ragtek Guest

I've started developing this.
    Anybody interested in helping as co-coder?

17. ragtek

ragtek Guest

XenForo framework is really great.
    Took me only 2 h for the first prototype.
    I hope that i can finish the UI tomorrow:)
    invite.PNG

Steve10, iTuN3r and gib like this.
  18. iTuN3r

iTuN3r Well-Known Member

Looks nice so what kind of features will this add-on have ?

19. ragtek

ragtek Guest

First version: Members are able to invite there friends into the forum (send mail).

Then, after i'm sure everything is working, i'd like to stop registrations and allow them only with invitations.

Michael Dance and Steve10 like this.
  20. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

I will be able to open Demonoid #2 then! [​IMG]