Invitation Only Registration Feature

LiamJC

Hi,

My forum will be a closed community and the only way to register is going to be through invitation. Does xenforo support this? I saw a ragtek plugin for it but I don't know how much I trust that company. They look very unprofessional and I am worried that they will just randomly stop updating/supporting that plugin.

Any suggestions as for what I should do?

Thanks

I too run closed boards though new memberships come both through my invitation and by contacting me off email lists or other forums.

You can block the signup on XF. That's the main thing you need.
Not sure what else you need.

A notice displayed to unregistered visitors would help, directing them to an information page and a contact link. Notices can be displayed per usergroup.

You can also display forum/ category titles without displaying content - so it's clear what your board is about but barring any more than superficial viewing. May or may not be relevant to you.

I too run closed boards though new memberships come both through my invitation and by contacting me off email lists or other forums.

You can block the signup on XF. That's the main thing you need.
Not sure what else you need.

A notice displayed to unregistered visitors would help, directing them to an information page and a contact link. Notices can be displayed per usergroup.

You can also display forum/ category titles without displaying content - so it's clear what your board is about but barring any more than superficial viewing. May or may not be relevant to you.

I doubt he wants to have to handle the invitations manually.

TBH I would use Ragteks addon or get one custom made for you.

Hi,

My forum will be a closed community and the only way to register is going to be through invitation. Does xenforo support this? I saw a ragtek plugin for it but I don't know how much I trust that company. They look very unprofessional and I am worried that they will just randomly stop updating/supporting that plugin.

Any suggestions as for what I should do?

Thanks
ragtek is no company (anymore) ;)
It's a one man show and that's why support sucks a little bit atm :(
That's also the reason, why i'll never "sell" any of my add-ons there...
I had to start the "premium accounts" to collect some money for an extra coder to help me with the add-ons, but it didn't work very good...
Also i think that the premium account price is very fair atm...

2. The support for this add-ons: http://ragtek.org/xenforo/threads/add-on-support-changes.424/ will "never" end (i should never say this:D ) because i need this add-ons for my communities too. (once something is in the core i have to rethink this, but i don't think that something like "only invite" will ever be in the core, probably allow members to join/leave additional Usergroups but that's a other story...)

3. who garantees that you can trust a "prof. company/product" ?
e.g. vB photoplog, vB geek products,...... or just check what happened with vB:p
A multi million company destroyed the product and the vB reputation...

Top Bottom