1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Forum 'By Invitation Only' - can this be done?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Core Freedom, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Core Freedom

Core Freedom Well-Known Member

Is it possible to create a forum 'by invitation only'? The only other forum, which I believe is a custom forum built in Germany, is www.internations.org. There is a hover-over or window that says 'membership is by invitation only.'

In other words, my forum is related to a specific niche and the purpose for this pop-over or 'window' will be to 1. prevent the wrong type of individual to come into the forum and 2. to have the forum spread virally by one person telling another, etc. and 3. by making people feel 'special' that they have been invited. It's like being a VIP without having to pay the price.

Does anyone know if this can be done and do you know developers on here that can do this?

Thanks all!:)
  2. ragtek

ragtek Guest

3. Core Freedom

Thanks, ragtek! Unfortunately something seems to be wrong with my sign-up here (submitted a ticket). when I try clicking on your link I get to that post but when I clock on any of your pictures it tells me I must be logged in to do that and when I try logging in again it says that I'm not a member. :-(

What I did see in your thread is that if I ever eliminate a member all of his invites will get automatically deleted too? Is this correct or did I misunderstand this?

Out of curiosity, do you know of any sites who are currently using this feature? Id' love to see it in action. :D
  4. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

That is ragtek's website not xenforo, I have had the same issue a few time because he has kept the default style I keep thinking I am still on xf.com... you would need to sign up on ragtek's site!
    Rob Fritz and Core Freedom like this.
  5. Core Freedom

I feel a 'duh' moment coming on. :oops: No, I didn't realize that. thanks for clarifying, Cezz.
    Rob Fritz likes this.
  6. ragtek

ragtek Guest

Hm, didn't know that several users are having this problem:D

I'm no designer and i don't want to hire & pay somebody for my add-ons page:D
    Don't you look at the link that you're clicking?:p
  7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Why don't you just move the colour sliders slightly?

That would make it easier to differentiate.
    bambua and Digital Doctor like this.
  8. Core Freedom

Nope, I saw 'xenforo' in my peripheral vision and that was good enough for me given that it came from this source. ;)
  9. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

I suggested that as well.
  10. bambua

bambua Well-Known Member

Heck if you need someone to do a logo for you for the page just ask ;)
    Brett Peters and Fuhrmann like this.
  11. ragtek

ragtek Guest

My logo => http://ragtek.org/logo.png
    it was great for my old forum, it needs a dark style (black & gold) but the xf people didn't like it^^
  12. Steve10

Steve10 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think you should probably get something more fresh and easier to read than that. Very good for a dark sight but it's quite hard to read.
  13. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

LOL and I thought that I was the only one who made the mistake of thinking I was still on xF. Sure I looked at the link mate but the site looks so darn similar, it is easy to see why folks make that error.
    Cezz likes this.