Integration with WordPress

vexx

Hey guys,

I was a vb user on a couple of my websites and I want to launch a new gaming site, which will contain a CMS part and a forum part. So far, Xenforo bought me on the forum part, since vb is such a hassle to mantain/configure/manage...but I don't know what to do about the CMS part.

Can Xenforo be integrated with Wordpress? I'm mentioning Wordpress because I really like the CMS and it has gone far. I'm basicly looking for people to make only 1 account that they use on both platforms. Is that achievable in any way with Xenforo..without ofc being a PHP programmer :)

Tnx in advance

Can Xenforo be integrated with Wordpress? I'm mentioning Wordpress because I really like the CMS and it has gone far. I'm basicly looking for people to make only 1 account that they use on both platforms. Is that achievable in any way with Xenforo..without ofc being a PHP programmer :)
Yes.
Check out Xenscripts.com for details of the bridge.
The main limitation of the bridge is the Accounts handled by Xenforo, not by Wordpress. It sounds like that is OK for you, probably preferable.

You might look at amember or other such things also.....
http://www.amember.com/p/

Also, you have to think really carefully about whether a lot or all of your members really need login to WP. In many cases, a select few (or just you) does the articles but everyone talks about them!

I think a lot of planning is best before you start. I just started testing Xencara (the wiki from Jaxel for XF) and I am fairly impressed. It might even function as a mini-cms for you.

I like Wordpress also, but am moving more and more of my old CMS stuff (it was in expression engine) into XF in one way or another. The idea of having one type of wrapper (base SW) for everything is very appealing.

I know amember, but i'm not looking for an affiliate type membership site. My site is all about gaming (or a specific game) with a CMS zone where news, articles, guides etc are published and the forum zone. I need the users to be able to post comments both on XF and WP with the same login, that's all.

Tnx for pointing out Xencara, will check it out (for one of my other projects).

That WP bridge doesn't support 3.5 out of the box and is very buggy (the xenscripts one) use at own risk. I paid for it and it didn't work for me. I was issued a refund by Jamie though which was nice. However, do some research first. Many people have problems with that bridge.

. I need the users to be able to post comments both on XF and WP with the same login, that's all.

Tnx for pointing out Xencara, will check it out (for one of my other projects).

That's an interesting and simple use! It would seem such a thing could be easily programmed......rather than any full integration, this just needs to have a window to a XF comment string (forum string) under each article...

I'd buy such an add-on....because it could give some integration without allowing members to actually have to be in the WP system. It could be somewhat like the facebook comments and other such things allowed on WP.

i'be been doing alot of research lately and to be honest, I have no idea what route should I take regarding the CMS. I'm 100% convinced that I want XF as my forum solution...but the CMS part is a bummer. The WP bridge script (over at xenscripts) seems that hasn't gotten any updates since mid last year. Sure I'm open to other CMS solutions...i checked the resource forum here, found some portal scripts like XenPorta..but to be honest I'm affraid at some point they're gonna stop the development/updates and I'll end up stuck in a wall.

So, if any of you experienced guys can lend me some advice...i'll bring the beer.

i'be been doing alot of research lately and to be honest, I have no idea what route should I take regarding the CMS. I'm 100% convinced that I want XF as my forum solution...but the CMS part is a bummer. The WP bridge script (over at xenscripts) seems that hasn't gotten any updates since mid last year. Sure I'm open to other CMS solutions...i checked the resource forum here, found some portal scripts like XenPorta..but to be honest I'm affraid at some point they're gonna stop the development/updates and I'll end up stuck in a wall.

So, if any of you experienced guys can lend me some advice...i'll bring the beer.

Have you checked out: http://www.subdreamer.com/

I haven't tried it myself... nor have I heard too terribly much about it but just another option. Not sure how deep the integration is.

I've seen it...seems like a new product and I don't have any guarantees that this will be developed/maintained over the years :(

Eh? They have topics dating back to 2005 on their forums.

If you need this much reassurance you won't get it sadly... sounds like you should hire a developer to do exactly what you need so you're in control of it.

Anytime you go with a third party add-on you never know if development could cease to exist today or the next day.

I agree. About that 2005 posts...I looked up the alexa ranking and other traffic rankings for the site..and for such a old website, it's just too odd to have a such low traffic.

I've seen it...seems like a new product and I don't have any guarantees that this will be developed/maintained over the years :(

Subdreamer? NEW??? No sir. Subdreamer has to be at lest 10 years old by now. It's very good but I personally found it very very limiting as a CMS. It doesn't have a very good add on community and it's like the dark horse of the CMS world. It's just not very actively developed...but it is maintained. They but a lot of emphasis on integration so usually it's a pretty deep integration.

I have no idea what route should I take regarding the CMS.
FWIW, Xenscripts WP XF bridge has always been kept up to date *despite* often frequent Wordpress updates. Either a forum member or Jamie has issued fixes or patches within a few days.

Pro Tip: check xenscripts.com first before updating to the latest Wordpress.

Jamie has not been updating the bridge b/c of piracy reasons. Instead if there is any tweaking needed after installation ... he does it personally for you. What a guy !

I've chatted with lph ... and if you have any problems with the bridge lph said he'd help you out. I would ask that you try it yourself ... for your own knowledge ... but it's pretty easy.

The best part of the bridge is that some of the people using are super knowledgeable about WP and even if Jaime goes MIA ... there will be lots of people (especially super helpful people like lph) to help keep things going.

The bridge is cheap, $40 and Wordpress is powerful.

Top Bottom