Integration with WordPress

vexx

Hey guys,

I was a vb user on a couple of my websites and I want to launch a new gaming site, which will contain a CMS part and a forum part. So far, Xenforo bought me on the forum part, since vb is such a hassle to mantain/configure/manage...but I don't know what to do about the CMS part.

Can Xenforo be integrated with Wordpress? I'm mentioning Wordpress because I really like the CMS and it has gone far. I'm basicly looking for people to make only 1 account that they use on both platforms. Is that achievable in any way with Xenforo..without ofc being a PHP programmer :)

Tnx in advance

well..i started awfuly,so Iph, you have a wall of text incoming. I thought about it posting it here, so other may learn from my mistakes but I think it's better to start a new thread or continue this conversation privately with Iph. anyway, if somebody has any problems, throw me a message, I'm guessing I'm gonna learn a thing or 2 :)

Looks like you've come a long way. Keep up the great work.

thanks alot man..couldn't do it without you :)

You are welcome. Let me put the header code here for anyone else to see, too. Change to your liking.

Now - none of this has the alerts set. I have this code in header.php of the WordPress theme.

Hope this helps.

PHP:
<fieldset id="header_bar">
    <div class="pageWidth">
        <div class="pageContent">

<?php
                if ( is_user_logged_in() ) {

global $current_user, $XF;
                    get_currentuserinfo();

echo '
                        <span id="member" class="loggedIn_menu_class"><a href="/community/conversations/">Inbox</a>
                        <a href="/community/logout">Log Out</a></span>
                        ';

echo '
                        <span id="member" class="loggedIn_menu_class">
                        <a href="/community/members/'. strtolower($XF->visitor->get('username')) . '.' . $XF->visitor->get('user_id') .'">'.$current_user->display_name.'</a></span>
                        ';

if ( $site_admins = array ( 'list of admins goes here, separate by comma' ) ){
                            echo '
                                <span id="member" class="admin"><a href="/wp-admin">WordPress Admin Panel</a>
                                <a href="/wp-admin/post-new.php">WordPress Add New Blog Post</a>
                                <a href="/community/admin.php">XenForo Admin Panel</a></span>
                                ';
                        }

} else {

echo '
                        <script>XenForo.LoginBar = function(a){};</script>

';

if ($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] == 'tuxnotes.tuxreportsnetwork.com') {

echo '<span id="member" class="logIn_menu_class"><a href="http://www.tuxreportsnetwork.com/community/login" class="OverlayTrigger inner">Log In or Sign Up</a></span>';

} else {

echo '<span id="member" class="logIn_menu_class"><a href="/community/login" class="OverlayTrigger inner">Log In or Sign Up</a></span>
                    ';
                } }                ?>
        </div>
    </div>     
</fieldset>

works like a charm...the if ( $site_admins = array ( 'list of admins goes here, separate by comma' ) ) doesn't tho..I think you've defined the variable somewhere else first

Hey guys,

I was a vb user on a couple of my websites and I want to launch a new gaming site, which will contain a CMS part and a forum part. So far, Xenforo bought me on the forum part, since vb is such a hassle to mantain/configure/manage...but I don't know what to do about the CMS part.

Can Xenforo be integrated with Wordpress? I'm mentioning Wordpress because I really like the CMS and it has gone far. I'm basicly looking for people to make only 1 account that they use on both platforms. Is that achievable in any way with Xenforo..without ofc being a PHP programmer :)

Tnx in advance
I use Wordpress + Xenforo + aMember for my peer support network and it seems to work a treat.

My members use only one account that they use on all platforms so yes it is achievable. I had to tweak a couple of things here and there. I am no expert but found plenty of support on here and from amember support :)

I use Wordpress + Xenforo + aMember for my peer support network and it seems to work a treat.

My members use only one account that they use on all platforms so yes it is achievable. I had to tweak a couple of things here and there. I am no expert but found plenty of support on here and from amember support :)

How did you handle the issue with Wordpress commenting system to make the avatars and user commenting match up with Xenforo profiles? Instead of having two separate community systems.

How did you handle the issue with Wordpress commenting system to make the avatars and user commenting match up with Xenforo profiles? Instead of having two separate community systems.

We installed aMemeber xenforo addons which handled this, the avatars don't actually match but i saw a thread on here somewhere (i think it was a resource by Jake) that pulls the avatars from xenforo into the wordpress comments. I will get around to doing this at some point to see if i can make it work.

works like a charm...the if ( $site_admins = array ( 'list of admins goes here, separate by comma' ) ) doesn't tho..I think you've defined the variable somewhere else first

I should explain that the $site_admins is for multisite configurations. This may be ignored if on a single WP install.

actually, I've tweaked that a bit to work on single installs...it's a bit rough but since I couldn't get the array to work on that declaration, it defined each moderator/admin separately. at least for the time being, it'll do

Code:
<?php $site_admins = $XF->visitor->get('username');
if (($site_admins == 'admin1') || ($site_admins == 'admin2') || ($site_admins == 'admin3') {?>

I'm about to begin this same project, but with a multi game community ( Going to have wordpress multi-site with each game having it's own sub domain and news page ) so it's going to be hell. Vexx, your site looks good, I want to do something similar, thanks for the info in this thread, but I'm sure I'll need additional help.

Right now I'm just going to figure out where to start :p

Can I ask a few questions vexx?
- Which version of wordpress are you using?
- You're still using xenscripts wordpress bridge right?
- Any Pro Tips before I get started?

hehe sure.

- wordpress 3.5.1
- yep

Now for the tips:

1. patience is the key, it might sound funny but you'll get alot of nerves in the whole process..patience is key :)
2. once you get everything to work, when upgrading wordpress to a newer version, make sure that the script will handle it...visit their homesite or post here and you'll get some answers. don't rush the updates, you are working with 2 platforms that are interdependent...also each platform has its own plugins so be careful
3. since you'll be dealing with a MU, you should try to be friendly with iph, he's the MU father around here ;)
4. and lastly, you can do everything...even if the bridge will stop its support, the coding is fairly simple to tweak/modify

Top Bottom