Install problem

jadmperry

Hey XFers,

Got to first step of install, no problem:

Your server meets all of XenForo requirements and you're now ready to begin installation.

Great Success!!

And then:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Called the host, they were stumped. I chmod 0777, as instructed in install.txt.

Any ideas? Help a brother out!

One error I thought I made, I did not allow for remote access to DB when I set up...so I set up a new DB with that feature, now I get this error:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql5.sock' (2)

Hey XFers,

Got to first step of install, no problem:

Your server meets all of XenForo requirements and you're now ready to begin installation.

Great Success!!

And then:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

Called the host, they were stumped. I chmod 0777, as instructed in install.txt.

Any ideas? Help a brother out!

From the error it looks like the mysql client connects thorugh a local file called a socket instead of connecting to the localhost when it connects to a MySQL server located on the local system. Try to contact your host about this.

P.s. Did you enter the db infos when running the installer btw?

Yes, I entered db info, still threw the error...any ideas about the second error : '/tmp/mysql5.sock' (2) ?

Is this the same issue? Pretend like I am not a superstar baseball pitcher who knows everything, but instead a complete novice...would I ask the host to change something, or am I looking for them to tell me some information to input?

Thanks!

Are you on a shared host or do you have your own dedicated box? If it is the first, then you should ask your host to fix it for you as only they will be able to help you with that.

shared....what do I ask them to fix?

Thanks!

By default the location of this socket file should be at /tmp/mysql.sock. However, for a variety of reasons, many MySQL installations place this socket file somewhere else like /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock. as it appears in your case. Your host should make a simple change to the MySQL configuration file to permanently set the socket file used by the mysql client. But your host should know all about this.

By default the location of this socket file should be at /tmp/mysql.sock. However, for a variety of reasons, many MySQL installations place this socket file somewhere else like /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock. as it appears in your case. Your host should make a simple change to the MySQL configuration file to permanently set the socket file used by the mysql client. But your host should know all about this.

Seems like I am caught in a bit of a tough spot. Host (GoDaddy....I know, no comment needed) says..."hmm...we don't know what the problem is...we aren't familiar with your 3rd party software.")
Asked about the files in the paths you mentioned...and...wait for it...."uh....maybe the developers of XF can help you." So, they knew nothing about anything helpful for a solution.

One thing is that I did do was a google search on the error Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql5.sock' (2) and it seems like this is not an unheard of.problem.

I did try the 127.0.0.1 and that did not fix it.

Anyone smarter than me who has any ideas/insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Godaddy do not host their SQL servers locally. MySQL server is hosted on anther machine.

your server needs to connect to a remote server.
do not put localhost in the MySQL field.
Here is what you do:
from the hosting control center click Databases

hosting control center.webp

select MySQL
then look for your database you just created and click the edit button
setup.webp

Then look for host name, and that's your db address not your localhost
sqladress.webp

So in the database field do not put localhost. put that string highlighted ;)
Let us know. oh and why in the world your hosting with godaddy ? :confused:

Godaddy do not host their SQL servers locally. MySQL server is hosted on anther machine.

your server needs to connect to a remote server.
do not put localhost in the MySQL field.
Here is what you do:
from the hosting control center click Databases

View attachment 4031

select MySQL
then look for your database you just created and click the edit button
View attachment 4032

Then look for host name, and that's your db address not your localhost
View attachment 4035

So in the database field do not put localhost. put that string highlighted ;)
Let us know. oh and why in the world your hosting with godaddy ? :confused:

You're the Man! Worked fine and as of a few minutes ago, www.vetsadvocate.com is live! (Though, it is, of course, a work in progress. You can interpret that as there is no content and it is only live in the sense of it resolves to an "off the shelf" installation of XF).

As for the question about using GoDaddy....probably the same reason a lot of people will stick with vB not matter what....it's what I am used to. Not a great reason, but probably the main one. My forums are very small/niche projects that I do as a public service and also as a hobby, so I don't need a ton of hosting resources. I looked in another thread about hosting and saw some popular choices. But when I checked them out, many either had plans that were too complicated, overkill for my needs, or were confusing.

Reading some of the threads, it made it seem like XF would not work on GoDaddy, at least not with shared hosting. I called GoDaddy and they made it sound like it would be no problem. So, I wanted to try to see if I could make it work and also for the convenience of keeping all my hosting/internet stuff with the same place.

I am obviously not a professional IT guy, web developer, etc. About 3 and a half years ago, I bought my first URL and vB licence and started to figure out how to ftp files, how to do (very) rudimentary) things with .php, and how to administer a site. For me, it is fun, kinda like a hobby. I figure that there are probably many people like me who will buy XenForo at some point, so I also wanted to see how easy/hard it was on a host many people will probably use. If I could make it work, it probably bodes well for the XF team. Kinda a public service.

Anyways, thanks for the assist. Once that "hurdle" was overcome, installation was a breeze, took like 2 minutes.

Terrence Cutler: There's something you need to know about Kenny, you're not the only athlete here at Chip Davis. I happen to be training for a triathlon. Doing a lot of running, cycling, swimming, but you know all about that.
Kenny Powers: No actually I don't. I play real sports, not try to be the best at exercising!

We all (well.. most) started the same way ... Now is the time to learn how to administer your own VPS (for the same cost as that horrid godaddy. I mean ... com'on their customer service is an automated email :D and they could have answered your question!)

So Jump right in it's fun :D and we all here to help ... check these guys out www.nordicvps.com . for 10 box / month you get a xen 512 ( I have few VPSs with them no issues at all)

don't let go of godaddy account yet. keep your sites live while you learn how to install and administer your slice. ;)

Top Bottom