Install problem: "An unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later."

David Trefry

Hello! I just purchased Xenforo yesterday and have an install issue. I'm fairly new to this web stuff and PHP programming but have spent many years writing C and C++ code and I think that will help me catch onto PHP.

Here's what I'm running:

PHP 5.4.11
MySQL version 5.1.69
and the latest zend server web server I believe it's 6.0.1 ( apache, etc... )
All running on Centos Linux.
I can load other web pages ( just my test pages not in the Xen folders ) but the Xenforo stuff is just displaying that error.

I followed the install instructions, did all the chmod's, etc.

I set the debug switch in config.h to get more data about the problem.

It says the install complete successfully but when I click on setup options, I get this call stack:

1. XenForo_Controller->responseException() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 165
  2. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->assertAdmin() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 17
  3. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->_preDispatchType() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 302
  4. XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 312
  5. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  6. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /var/www/html/upload/admin.php at line 13

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

David Trefry.

Well, you pasted the back trace list -- there was just the actual error above it. So where ever you saw that error would work.

Conversely, you can see the error log in the admin control panel under Tools > Server Error Log.

I can't get that far. Can't get past that error, no Xen screens are loading.

That's the point Mike and Brogan were trying to make.

You posted this:

1. XenForo_Controller->responseException() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 165
  2. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->assertAdmin() in XenForo/ControllerAdmin/Abstract.php at line 17
  3. XenForo_ControllerAdmin_Abstract->_preDispatchType() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 302
  4. XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 312
  5. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
  6. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /var/www/html/upload/admin.php at line 13

There's usually another line of text above that. So if you can get it to produce that error again, try and grab the line of text above it, or provide us with a screenshot of your entire screen.

Here you go:

An exception occurred: Controller response exception: XenForo_ControllerResponse_Redirect in /var/www/html/ear/library/XenForo/Controller.php on line 757
XenForo_Controller->responseException() in XenForo/Controller.php at line 581
XenForo_Controller->canonicalizeRequestUrl() in XenForo/ControllerPublic/Index.php at line 9
XenForo_ControllerPublic_Index->actionIndex() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 313
XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
XenForo_FrontController->run() in /var/www/html/ear/index.php at line 13

Very bizarre error - something is preventing the exception from being caught (as it should be) as far as I can see.

Is it possible for you to submit a ticket via the customer area with FTP details so I can debug this?

After a lot of random debugging, this appears to have been caused by one of Zend Optimizer+'s optimizations (zend_optimizerplus.optimization_level) -- disabling the optimization_level (setting it to 0) resolved the issue.
Mike, I'm trying to move a test site running XF 1.2 to a new host (from dedicated to VPS) and I'm getting the same error. I've tried adding "zend_optimizer.optimization_level = 0" to php.ini but no luck.

Any thoughts or would it be best to submit a ticket? If a ticket, just let me know what info' you'd like. :)

Mike, I'm trying to move a test site running XF 1.2 to a new host (from dedicated to VPS) and I'm getting the same error. I've tried adding "zend_optimizer.optimization_level = 0" to php.ini but no luck.

Any thoughts or would it be best to submit a ticket? If a ticket, just let me know what info' you'd like. :)

Disable xdebug or dbg if you have them installed

(or any other low level extensions)

Disable xdebug or dbg if you have them installed

(or any other low level extensions)
Thanks for the idea! (y) A little experimenting and it looks like eAccelerator may be the culprit ("extension="eaccelerator.so") which came pre-installed by the host as part of the VPS image.

Explains what was breaking, now to figure out why. :D

Top Bottom