As designed Inconsistant default Search option in Resources...

You'll find various situations in the past where the previous behavior that effectively did this (and limited to a specific forum) led to more confusion. So this is generally intentional. It is likely better to give more results rather than too few by default.

It is likely better to give more results rather than too few by default.

Well, at Forum's home page, this behavior is quite understandable but when i am already consciously clicking the Resource tab then i am expecting that the search to be focused on the resources. I find it more confusing.

Better would be that the at forum's homepage, the Search drop-down also shows Resources and Media for a more specific search... would save us 2-3 click every time.

forum.webp

But then it's inconsistent because there's then some places where the search is context sensitive and some places it isn't.

Consistency is key here and given the issues and feedback we've had in the past it should remain at "Everywhere" by default in all cases.

It will of course seem jarring in the first instance to us as it is the opposite to what we've been using for years but ultimately this will be a less confusing experience (especially for new users).

If these 1000s of users start wanting to leave because it takes an extra click to search a specific content type then you’ve likely got much bigger issues...

The main point is having it default to “Everything” is a much more consistent and effective starting point for a search query and by default will return more results which can’t be a bad thing.

If these 1000s of users start wanting to leave because it takes an extra click to search a specific content type then you’ve likely got much bigger issues...

The main point is having it default to “Everything” is a much more consistent and effective starting point for a search query and by default will return more results which can’t be a bad thing.

:censored: Never mind. enough said.

I am not seeing the point of this. If you want to search a specific forum to see if similar content has already been posted or if that forum has the answer you are looking for then it will now take 2 clicks instead of one and most likely you will need to try 2 times because it makes less sense now.
It makes sense when you are looking at a specific content type to just search that.
It makes sense that when you are looking at a category overview, to search just that.

Look at Google which is the king of Search: When you are looking at Google News, your search results will not go back to Google main search (web).

Granted that if you are looking at an Item then you are likely to have found what you are looking for and a new search may not relate to the same category. There I can see the logic.

Why not add a setting so that admins can decide themselves? At least in XF Enhanced Search. Otherwise we will need yet another addon to improve search.

You'll find various situations in the past where the previous behavior that effectively did this (and limited to a specific forum) led to more confusion. So this is generally intentional. It is likely better to give more results rather than too few by default.

Not IMO. When I go to resources tab, I don't want to search the whole site, just the resources section.

Top Bottom