[Included] Video embedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
My input on this is that I think it can all be under [media] and that end-user shouldn't be filled with clutter of bbcode.

Totally agree. :) We don't need a [youtube], [vimeo], [hulu], [dailymotion], [metacafe], etc. It would get complicated quickly. :)

There is an admin interface to let you define what sites you want to support, provided you can get the ID from the URL and structure the embed code.

That sounds good.

It looks like the BBC has started to allow embedding of their videos, although it may have been around for a while and I've just not noticed before, so could it be set-up to include BBC videos?

EXAMPLE - BBC Report

I hope that if local file video posting becomes an option that so will the HTML5 Video Tag... I am a big fan of it and you can nest the normal embed tag inside it for fallback option.

I hope that if local file video posting becomes an option that so will the HTML5 Video Tag... I am a big fan of it and you can nest the normal embed tag inside it for fallback option.

Unfortunately you can't display FLV videos through an HTML5 video player, so unless the video-hosting site supports HTML5, it's not really an option. But I do agree that it would be nice if they included it. It's definitely the way forward. :)

There is an admin interface to let you define what sites you want to support, provided you can get the ID from the URL and structure the embed code.
Just noticed this.

So that means we can add e.g. DailyMotion and the same Media button on the editor will work for all sites configured?

Just noticed this.

So that means we can add e.g. DailyMotion and the same Media button on the editor will work for all sites configured?

Yeah, though looking at their URL and embed code, it might not be 100% obvious what you need to do. As an example, for this video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe0cgb_practicing-medicine_fun
The embed code points to: http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xe0cgb

If you compare those two URLs, you can see the ID (xe0cgb), but you need to be able to pick that out of the URL vs the embed code and modify them both so it's pluggable. Not impossible by any means, but it's not exactly plug and play. The setup code is easy to share though. :)

Yeah, though looking at their URL and embed code, it might not be 100% obvious what you need to do. As an example, for this video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe0cgb_practicing-medicine_fun
The embed code points to: http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xe0cgb

If you compare those two URLs, you can see the ID (xe0cgb), but you need to be able to pick that out of the URL vs the embed code and modify them both so it's pluggable. Not impossible by any means, but it's not exactly plug and play. The setup code is easy to share though. :)
I wish embedding would be done as in AME 2.5 mod for vB. Just paste URL in your message and it automatically embeds the video. It supports over 150 video/audio/game sites and locally hosted videos.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=202476
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195884

List of supported video sites:
2K Sports
5min Life Videopedia
Adult Swim
Apache Clips
Atom
BikerPunks
Blip
Break
CBS News
CBS Sports (AKA Sportsline)
Clarin
Clipfish
ClipShack
Clip.vn
CNN
College Humor
Comedy Central
Crackle
Crave Online
Current
Daily HaHa
Daily Motion
Daily Motion (Playlists)
Dark Orange
Diesel Bombers
DisneyTube
DivShare
Dorks
EA Sports World
eBaums World (Videos)
eSnips (Videos) (Turn this off if you decide to use eSnips Music instead. The two cannot be used together!)
ESPN
Facebook
FanDome
FileCabi
Flektor
Flickr
FloTrack
Flowrestling
Fox News
Funny Or Die
G4TV
Game Trailers
GameSpot
GameVideos
Giant Bomb
Globo
Google Video
Grapheine`s BombayTV
Guba
Guitar-Tube
H3Press
Hulu
I Am Bored
IGN
iKlipz
ImageShack
Izlesene
Izleturk
JibJab
Joe Cartoon
Jokeroo
JustinTV
Koreus
Last.FM
Layartancap
Libero
Live Video
LiveLeak
Magnify
Media Matters
MegaVideo
Metacafe
MLG: The Game Room
Motionbox
MotorsportsMad
MSNBC
MTV
MTV Music
MyModelTalk
MySpace
MyVideo.Co.Za
MyVideo.De
Newsclipper
Nollywood
PC Planets (MetaCafe Videos)
PC Planets (YouTube Videos)
Photobucket (Videos)
Photosynth
Poker Tube
Porkolt
Pure Pwnage
Putfile
Raw Vegas
Rediff
Revision3
Revver
RuTube
Sclipo
Sevenload
Social Paintball
South Park (Clips)
Speedaholic
Spike
Spiked Humor
StreetFire
Tangle
The Colbert Report (Clips)
The Daily Show (Clips)
The Escapist
The Onion
The WB
TinyPic
Today's BIG Thing
Tu
Tudou
UOL
UOL Mais
UOL Videolog
Ustream (Live & Recorded)
Veoh
Viddler
Video Tube
Video.Mail.Ru
VideoJug
Vidiac
vidiLife
Vimeo
VistaKU
Vreel
WeGame
World Star Hip-Hop
Xfire
Yahoo!
Yatahonga
YouKu
YouKu (Playlists)
YouTube (with Deep Linking support)
YouTube (Playlists)

Yeah, though looking at their URL and embed code, it might not be 100% obvious what you need to do.
Thanks Mike.

I've actually got custom BBCode on my forum already for YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, etc. so it should be a relatively easy job to copy the code across.

It will be great to have a single BBCode button in the editor for all the various media sites.

@Mike,

any chance to code XenForo without any BB-Code ?
I think this BB-Code-stuff is very Forum-specific code and I did not see it being used anywhere else.

Not sure a novice internet-user would understand BB-Code and all that strange brackets and sorts.

So why do we need a BB-Code (whatever that is...) for a website ? Just to make the "Smileys" appear ?

Why does the user need the mess with [tube][/tube]

instead of giving him a list to select which kind of video-source (e.g. YouTube) he wants to paste the URL into XenForo ?

It should be as simple as "choose Video-source" from a drop-down-list and Copy/Paste the YouTube URL which is showing in the browser-line.

IMHO: once you need to explain a user of how your website works, your website is crap in terms of User-Interface.

Is FakeBook using any BB-Code ?

KISS

I think this BB-Code-stuff is very Forum-specific code and I did not see it being used anywhere else.
You do realise that XenForo is a forum?
And already has BBCode in the editor, just like every other forum?

HTML is disabled for a good reason.
BBCode was created to allow people to use HTML without the associated risks.

You do realise that XenForo is a forum?

yeah, so why not make XenForo the first Forum without the need of using strange BB-Codes ?
There should be a way of making things simpler than that ?

So most of us are on the internet for the last 15 years or so, but try to think of yourself being a user who is just starting to use the internet- would that brackets-stuff be self-explanatory ?

It should be made so simple that any granny can use this.

any chance to code XenForo without any BB-Code ?
[...]
So why do we need a BB-Code (whatever that is...) for a website ? Just to make the "Smileys" appear ?

Why does the user need the mess with [tube][/tube]

instead of giving him a list to select which kind of video-source (e.g. YouTube) he wants to paste the URL into XenForo ?
[...]
Is FakeBook using any BB-Code ?

Aside from the quote tag, what BB code are you seeing on average? That's really the point of the WYSIWYG editors that you see these days. The average user won't be exposed to much BB code. Generally speaking, BB codes become visible when you do something more advanced, or when it's needed to provide semantic meaning/markup above what HTML provides (customizable quote tags, syntax highlighting, etc).

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the tube-tag, as that's not something we use and our equivalent basically involves what you want. Except you don't even pick the video source, you just give it the video URL and we work it out.

As far as I know, Facebook allows no markup whatsoever. If you just reply on a forum, you're not going to be dealing with much more than that (particularly with quick reply being the norm now).

so it´s not immediately showing the video without using that BB-Code stuff.....which is not great....

Where is the problem?

the need for using some code and brackets in order to show the video in embedded form....which is not user-friendly UI

Also clicking "Play" at your embedded video, opens-up a new window to YouTube instead of directly playing at the XenForo-website.

the need for using some code and brackets in order to show the video in embedded form....which is not user-friendly UI

Also clicking on your video, opens-up a new window to YouTube instead of directly playing at the XenForo-website.

Click the media button (last button on the second row). Automatically turning URLs into media is a different aspect/feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom