1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Included] Video embedding

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by kyrgyz, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

I am requesting 2 video embed BB codes:

1. [tube][/tube]
    for YouTube, Vimeo, Hulu, Dailymotion, Google, Metacafe, RuTube

2. [video][/video]
    for any size .flv video from any site with a direct URL like www.yoursite.com/cartoons/tom_and_jerry.flv

The second BBcode would allow us to play our own videos without necessity of uploading to third-party sites.
    khaled3432002 likes this.
  2. Mert Y

Mert Y Member

Facebook, Vimeo and YouTube are already supported:

[ media=serviceName ] VideoID [ /media ]
  3. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

Please include RuTube in the list.
  4. Mert Y

Mert Y Member

I doubt they would since it's a local website.
  5. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

RuTube is a Russian equivalent of YouTube. It's a very popular and huge site I must say. Yahoo often embeds videos from RuTube in its articles.

6. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There is an admin interface to let you define what sites you want to support, provided you can get the ID from the URL and structure the embed code.
    Walter likes this.
  7. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

Awesome. But what about the second item I mentioned. Can we have a bb code like that?
  8. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

PERFECT! ;)
  9. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

You could easily set up your own site as a provider, as long as you named your videos correctly and consistently (have an id in a consistent place in the video filename/url).
  10. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

I wish you could give me an example.
  11. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

I can't really give an example until I see how it works in XF, but it would be something along these lines:

1. Get a flash video player, such as this one.
    2. Host it on your site, like www.example.com/videos/player.swf
    3. Upload your videos as FLVs to your site, using a consistent naming scheme so IDs can be extracted from the URL.
    4. Create your embed code (once) to use your flash player.
    5. Start embedding videos.
  12. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

Thanks. I meant an example of a consistent naming scheme.

By the way, vbtube works like option2. You just put in the url of your .flv video and that's it.
  13. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Ah, a consistent naming scheme could be

Anything that would let you extract an "ID" from the URL
  14. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I prefer the second naming scheme. It seems to be more informational than the former, and possibly better for SEO.
  15. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

It doesn't need to be a naming scheme. I'm assuming all they're doing is simple find-and-replace, so if you setup your own site as a provider, you could use the filename as the variable and just do something like this:
    Then in the options, for the replace code:
    <embed src="http://www.example.com/videos/$param" option1="blabla" ... /> ... 
    Of course, if you want to have a consistent naming scheme then that would be good for consistency, but I don't think it's required by any means. :)
  16. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

I guess the main thing it needs to be consistent with the way [media] tag set up.
  17. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

That should definitely work. What I was referring to is if you have your own video pages and you want users to be able to copy the URL to a video page and plunk it into the 'embed media' popup and have it work. But in any case, they are two very similar ideas. :)
  18. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Ah, got it. I would think that would be easy to do with the system (I assume) they have. It's just a question of how you would strip the rest of the URL to just get the ID/filename (this is where a consistent naming scheme you were talking about is important, as you said). :)
  19. Floris

Floris Guest

My input on this is that I think it can all be under [media] and that end-user shouldn't be filled with clutter of bbcode.
    Ben Davis, Nix and kyrgyz like this.
  20. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

It would be nice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.