[Included] Video embedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an admin interface to let you define what sites you want to support, provided you can get the ID from the URL and structure the embed code.

There is an admin interface to let you define what sites you want to support, provided you can get the ID from the URL and structure the embed code.
Awesome. But what about the second item I mentioned. Can we have a bb code like that?

Awesome. But what about the second item I mentioned. Can we have a bb code like that?

You could easily set up your own site as a provider, as long as you named your videos correctly and consistently (have an id in a consistent place in the video filename/url).

I wish you could give me an example.

I can't really give an example until I see how it works in XF, but it would be something along these lines:

1. Get a flash video player, such as this one.
2. Host it on your site, like www.example.com/videos/player.swf
3. Upload your videos as FLVs to your site, using a consistent naming scheme so IDs can be extracted from the URL.
4. Create your embed code (once) to use your flash player.
5. Start embedding videos.

Thanks. I meant an example of a consistent naming scheme.

By the way, vbtube works like option2. You just put in the url of your .flv video and that's it.

Ah, a consistent naming scheme could be

/video-1/
/video-2/
/video-3/

or

/video-unique-name/
/video-another-unique-name/
/video-really-unique-name/

Anything that would let you extract an "ID" from the URL

I prefer the second naming scheme. It seems to be more informational than the former, and possibly better for SEO.

It doesn't need to be a naming scheme. I'm assuming all they're doing is simple find-and-replace, so if you setup your own site as a provider, you could use the filename as the variable and just do something like this:
Code:
[media=local]Filename-of_my--video.flv[/media]
Then in the options, for the replace code:
Code:
<embed src="http://www.example.com/videos/$param" option1="blabla" ... /> ...

Of course, if you want to have a consistent naming scheme then that would be good for consistency, but I don't think it's required by any means. :)

It doesn't need to be a naming scheme. I'm assuming all they're doing is simple find-and-replace, so if you setup your own site as a provider, you could use the filename as the variable and just do something like this:
Code:
[media=local]Filename-of_my--video.flv[/media]
Then in the options, for the replace code:
Code:
<embed src="http://www.example.com/videos/$param" option1="blabla" ... /> ...

Of course, if you want to have a consistent naming scheme then that would be good for consistency, but I don't think it's required by any means. :)

That should definitely work. What I was referring to is if you have your own video pages and you want users to be able to copy the URL to a video page and plunk it into the 'embed media' popup and have it work. But in any case, they are two very similar ideas. :)

That should definitely work. What I was referring to is if you have your own video pages and you want users to be able to copy the URL to a video page and plunk it into the 'embed media' popup and have it work. But in any case, they are two very similar ideas. :)

Ah, got it. I would think that would be easy to do with the system (I assume) they have. It's just a question of how you would strip the rest of the URL to just get the ID/filename (this is where a consistent naming scheme you were talking about is important, as you said). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom