• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.3 YT - video embedding not working with chrome

#1
Hey there,

just another issue popped up. For some reason embedded youtube videos do not work anymore. As I am using firefox I can't exactly tell since when this is broken but probably it happened at some point last week. So on chrome an embedded video looks like this




So it's just a black box. The little 'Y' you can seen on the bottom right of the black box is clickable but the link is also broken. It's opening a youtube site with this url https://www.youtube.com/?


Is there anything with xenforo and a recent google chrome update which could be related?
Could it be a css someone messed up somewhere?

Regards
tobi
 

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#2
Check the embed code you are using.
A recent Chrome update has stopped older code working.

This is the default:
Code:
<iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/{$id}?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
 
#3
That's my one. It's missing the 'mode=opaque'. Is that the cause and if yes how can I fix it?
Code:
<iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NscZCnSMFf8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
 
#5
I've just found it! ...and this was my actual embedding HTML used by our forum.

Code:
<object width="500" height="300" data="https://www.youtube.com/v/{$id}&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
    <param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/{$id}&amp;fs=1" />
    <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
    <param name="wmode" value="opaque" />
    <embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/{$id}&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="opaque" width="500" height="300" />
</object>

I replaced it with yours and now it's working fine on chrome and firefox. (even looks way better now)

Thank you so much @Brogan for the swift help!
 

Amaury

Well-known member
#7
Recently experienced this here, another site I'm a member of, but they got it fixed. :)

At first the embeds didn't show up at all, but you could still click on them and they would play. Then they appeared fixed for a short while before turning into what's shown in the OP's screenshot, where they couldn't be played at all.