[Included] Video embedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish embedding would be done as in AME 2.5 mod for vB. Just paste URL in your message and it automatically embeds the video. It supports over 150 video/audio/game sites and locally hosted videos.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=202476
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=195884

List of supported video sites:
The full list can be left to exactly what you are eluding... being a third party mod. I would find it quite difficult as a software vendor to consistently update minute aspects of video sites to the code, when there are more important things to do. Providing video is easily added / pluggable, I believe that should be the extent of the software developer, moving into the third party modder.

I am coming to a conclusion that it's better to host videos on my own server, just like running my own community instead of using free forum hosting providers or even Facebook. Being depended on third-party sites and forced to comply with their TOS or whatever are a time bomb waiting to explode. It'll be nice if XenForo ships with clear instructions [examples] for novices on how to embed your own hosted videos.

I am coming to a conclusion that it's better to host videos on my own server, just like running my own community instead of using free forum hosting providers or even Facebook. Being depended on third-party sites and forced to comply with their TOS or whatever are a time bomb waiting to explode. It'll be nice if XenForo ships with clear instructions [examples] for novices on how to embed your own hosted videos.
Sure would be nice to have a video uploader that was as easy for users as Youtube rather than having to FTP them though. We have come to expect it with images, why not videos?

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-integrate-with-ffmpeg-php.2431/
I feel the same as you....and to make an ftp login for each user with permission to one folder and only write permission is a PITA,
I say if you host a video hosted at your site...and you create embed code for other sites to use to link back to yours....your generating traffic as well....when you embed a youtube video you can lead traffic away... why not use the fact that people like to click and watch to bring users into your community. I would guess that this could generate lots of unique traffic.
Truthfully speaking I am more user than developer, I just like to know how things work.

Sure would be nice to have a video uploader that was as easy for users as Youtube rather than having to FTP them though. We have come to expect it with images, why not videos?

What sort of videos are you talking there Grant, nudge, nudge, wink, wink .....

Would love an option to host vids on my forums :)

Such a setup would be a dream come true. Really if images can be uploaded and displayed in a post why not videos? Is the hick-up so hard to cure?

Such a setup would be a dream come true. Really if images can be uploaded and displayed in a post why not videos? Is the hick-up so hard to cure?

It should be even less hastle with HTML, previously you needed to have a flash video player to serve the code, now you can just have the <video> tag with a flash fallback... even better as sublime showed you can replace the <video> tag with flash using JS so you don't even need to have the embed code on the page.

There would still be some headaches like codex that aren't supported be certain browsers ETC, but then you could decode and recode the video's on the server if you wished.

All in all it is more work than images, but would sooooooo sooo be worth it if we could do it.

There would still be some headaches like codex that aren't supported be certain browsers ETC, but then you could decode and recode the video's on the server if you wished.

All in all it is more work than images, but would sooooooo sooo be worth it if we could do it.
FFMPEG php ........with regards to recoding....all you need is the correct string to make an optimal video.
mp4 h264 , and flv's work on every browser with flowplayer as far as I know...
embedding local video works as well with flowplayer as a container just make a bbcode... {param} replacement would be similar to http://yourdomain.com/movies/{param} this way only locally hosted video could be used with that bbcode. I do it with vB. Haven't been able to get a working upload and convert script myself though.

I have seen something in regards to videos in html5 but im still learning it's predecessor.

This would instantly set XenForo apart from the big 5-tonne dinosaurs ruling the board jungle right now. What an ad it could be for Mike and Kier and what a treat for us!:rolleyes:

I'm fairly my shared hosting would not be able support the storage or bandwidth required to allow users to upload videos.

I tried it for a while but quickly realised I might as well leave it to the various media sites as they do a better job than I ever could.

Plus it's one less thing to worry about having to update.

Not many sites need to serve their own videos.

You also get to have fun with all of the various accessibility issues that come with serving your own videos, as well as watching the stability go down the drain if your system isn't beefy enough to support it.

It might be nice to have, but would the required resources make up for the addition of the feature?

It might be nice to have, but would the required resources make up for the addition of the feature?
I am guessing the same argument was deployed when image uploads were introduced in the early days of internet. Moving images [videos] are more of a content than still images [pictures] nowadays. IMHO, Video Upload & Play should be a stock feature for any board software. Advent of smartphones necessitates it. If a shared hosting is used by a customer, he or she should be able to disable this feature.

I get some of the same sort of arguments about my site because many things are very slow on dial-up. But I can't cater to the past. I want XF to be ahead of the curve and always looking toward the future.

I get some of the same sort of arguments about my site because many things are very slow on dial-up. But I can't cater to the past. I want XF to be ahead of the curve and always looking toward the future.
That's the right attitude :) Modern solutions in preparation for the future: ftw.

The killer app for me on Youtube hasn't been viewing. I can view anywhere. It's been the ability to upload video in dozens of formats, sizes, resolutions, etc. and Youtube's upload system reformats the video so it plays flawlessly on 99% of computers. If I could just license that part, I'd host the videos locally.

The killer app for me on Youtube hasn't been viewing. I can view anywhere. It's been the ability to upload video in dozens of formats, sizes, resolutions, etc. and Youtube's upload system reformats the video so it plays flawlessly on 99% of computers. If I could just license that part, I'd host the videos locally.
they also use a heavily modified version of mencoder, mplayer ffmpeg and all that other fun stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom