Impossible to start reading unread thread from first post

There is also http://screenjel.ly/ and http://screenr.com/

Just record the problem, give Mike the information he needs... He is not telling you there is not a problem, he is telling you he can not reproduce it... you need to give him the info he needs to he can understand what is happening and why and fix it...

The function of loading the thread is there, just edit the template and remove the /unread/ part.
The link below the thread title lets you load the thread as a whole. You could switch those 2 lines of code in the template too, I assume.

If there is a huge controversy about this, an admin.php switch perhaps that defaults to how XenForo does things could perhaps be a solution for site owners, just flipping this to 'Go to first unread instead of whole thread?' to no, would flip that around in the right template(s).

I think the issue is not the functionality, but rather the fact that for some it isn't working as expected. I.e. not taking them to the first unread post, but to a random one.

Not for me. I just tried it in Chromium and they made Java crash. Maybe it's because I'm using a 64bit version of Ubuntu and Java.

Nope I am also using 64bit :S... I am running Dev channel version of Chrome and just tried firefox too and no problems :S

It doesn't work in Opera 10.61 for me.  Threads I've never clicked on go to page 3 and I have to go back to page 1.  It rarely happens - most of the time it works perfect.

I'm getting really uncomfortable with this XF habit of opening a thread at some completely random point.
Shanj, in the school of how to make friends and influence people, entitling threads 'YUCK... GRRRR' does not come near the top of the recommended behaviour list. Please make an effort to be a little less acerbic and we'll all get along much better.

I think the issue is not the functionality, but rather the fact that for some it isn't working as expected. I.e. not taking them to the first unread post, but to a random one.
I suspect what's happening is he's opening oldish threads that have been marked as "read" for him by the system, due to their age, but he has not already read them. Thus, when he opens one of these threads, he is taken to the end of the thread, or to the first post in the thread that is still marked as unread for him. It's really working as it was designed to work, and I don't really see a good way to fix/improve this use case, even though it can give the impression of "randomness".

I suspect what's happening is he's opening oldish threads that have been marked as "read" for him by the system, due to their age, but he has not already read them. Thus, when he opens one of these threads, he is taken to the end of the thread, or to the first post in the thread that is still marked as unread for him. It's really working as it was designed to work, and I don't really see a good way to fix/improve this use case, even though it can give the impression of "randomness".
Are you serious? Why should they be marked read, just because of their age? Did you read all books that are older than 1 year?

Nothing should be marked read as long as users didn't read it and didn't mark it as read.

If the system stays as it is, the first modification that I will pay for is to make thread titles opening at the first post. That's what my users will expect.

What this system needs is an on/off switch in user CP and admin CP.

Shanj, in the school of how to make friends and influence people, entitling threads 'YUCK... GRRRR' does not come near the top of the recommended behaviour list. Please make an effort to be a little less acerbic and we'll all get along much better.

Can we actually get the thread title edited because it makes me mad every time I see this thread pop back up in the What's new... :P

I thought it was just me that had issues with this but obviously not. I think the problem might be that when we visit here our last visited time stamp is updated, and then when we return and view a previously unread thread it displays at the posts made after the time of our previous visit to the forums, regardless of whether we have read the topic or not.

Can we actually get the thread title edited because it makes me mad every time I see this thread pop back up in the What's new... :p

Ceri the Edit functtion doesn't yet allow me to edit the thread title. It's a pretty sandard feature so I'm sure it won't be long. As soon as it appears I'll take the YUCK! bit off.
My apologies. This problem was REALLY making my head spin and it took ages to work out what was happening and why I couldn't even understand the threads I was opening. Horrible disorientated feeling - now I know just how lost and demotivated ordinary users can feel!

I'm srongly supporting the admin CP - and user CP - disable switch on this one.
Alternatively make the timeout very long like 180 days. That will mean even moderately activ e users don't keep being plunged into the middle or towards the en d of new unread threads.

It occurs to me that the current situation is a big deterrent on going exploring. It would make me want to just stick to the top few recent things.
That could be quite important in terms of encouraging people to look things up instead of posting new duplicated questions.

Ceri the Edit functtion doesn't yet allow me to edit the thread title. It's a pretty sandard feature so I'm sure it won't be long. As soon as it appears I'll take the YUCK! bit off.
My apologies. This problem was REALLY making my head spin and it took ages to work out what was happening and why I couldn't even understand the threads I was opening. Horrible disorientated feeling - now I know just how lost and demotivated ordinary users can feel!

My post was directed at Kier and not yourself as I am aware of the feature set ;)...

Kier thank you for amending the title.
Please give it an informative one.
What's the story with thread title links?
- doesn't illustrate the experience of the problem it just points to SOMETHING about thread titles - too vague to tell a reader what this thread is about.

Just deleting the yuck and grrr would do it.
Open thread to random post
It may not really be a random post but that is the EXPERIENCE that someone else having it will recognise.

Thank you.

Using Firefox and it's very intermittant.
I'd hazard a guess 90% of the time, when I click a brand new thread, it jumps to a random post somewhere in the thread, which then means going back to the first page/post.
If I click the thread again, it goes to another random post further on in the thread heh.
It's irritating for sure, it should be the way it is on Vbulletin (I know, I know, not everyone likes that, but it is simpler and more logical)

Top Bottom