Importing vBulletin 3x and IP. Board 3x

officialjlt

My forums were originally converted from vBulletin 3 to IP. Board 3. I would like to import my forums from IP. Board 3 to XenForo 1. I am concerned about the vBulletin 3 password hashes. I don't know whether members who haven't logged in since the vBulletin days will be able to access their account or not due to this. Is this possible to do? Will there be any issues with the vBulletin 3 data?

What exact version numbers are you running at the moment?
What forum software do you have installed?
Do you mean Xenforo v2.1 (as v1.x is End of Life) ?

I'd get everything to a central cumulated forum software and version number before attempting an import to Xenforo, otherwise it's gonna get real messy, real fast.

Importing into Xenforo v1: https://xenforo.com/xf1-docs/manual/importing/
Importing into Xenforo v2.x: https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/importing/

At the time of writing, XenForo 1 supports importing data from the following sources:
  • XenForo 1.2+
  • vBulletin 3.6, 3.7/3.8, and 4.x
  • IP.Board 3.1, 3.2/3.3, 3.4, and 4.0/4.1/4.2
  • phpBB 3.0.x, 3.1.x, 3.2.x
  • MyBB 1.6/1.8
  • SMF 2.0
At the time of writing, XenForo 2 supports importing data from the following sources:
  • XenForo 2.x
  • vBulletin 3.6 to 5.3
  • IPS 4.x
  • phpBB 3.2
  • SMF 2.0
  • MyBB 1.8
Note
Indirectly, you can also collect data from a number of other systems by importing into XenForo 1.5, which has a different selection of importers, and then running an upgrade on the XenForo 1.5 database to version 2.

What exact version numbers are you running at the moment?
What forum software do you have installed?
Do you mean Xenforo v2.1 (as v1.x is End of Life) ?

I'd get everything to a central cumulated forum software and version number before attempting an import to Xenforo, otherwise it's gonna get real messy, real fast.

Importing into Xenforo v1: https://xenforo.com/xf1-docs/manual/importing/
Importing into Xenforo v2.x: https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/importing/

I'm mainly concerned about the original vBulletin members not being able to log in any more. My forums use IPS4.1.11 currently. I originally imported vBulletin 3x into IP. Board 3x and then upgraded to IPS4.1.11

I'm happy to be corrected (but in my experience) your VB3 users won't be using VB3 password hashes anymore anyway, they'll be using IPS4.1.11 password hashes.

It shouldn't be a problem, and worst case scenario the user will just need to to a password reset.

Word of advice: Before importing do a user cleanup, and ensure all email addresses are valid. Will make things so much easier than heaps of bounces after the fact.

I was involved MANY moons ago in a VB3 > Xenforo 1.x migration, and no users had issues logging in after the upgrade. It just worked!

I'm happy to be corrected (but in my experience) your VB3 users won't be using VB3 password hashes anymore anyway, they'll be using IPS4.1.11 password hashes.

It shouldn't be a problem, and worst case scenario the user will just need to to a password reset.

Word of advice: Before importing do a user cleanup, and ensure all email addresses are valid. Will make things so much easier than heaps of bounces after the fact.

I was involved MANY moons ago in a VB3 > Xenforo 1.x migration, and no users had issues logging in after the upgrade. It just worked!

The IPS4 installation still has the IPB3 converters which holds the password hashes for the vBulletin 3 members. I don't know if this could be converted over again

The IPS4 installation still has the IPB3 converters which holds the password hashes for the vBulletin 3 members. I don't know if this could be converted over again
Trial and error is one way at looking at it.

Small sample set import using a test (Staging) setup, before rolling over to a new forum.

Then just delete the database (test one) when you are done and confirm it imports fine.

Trial and error is one way at looking at it.

Small sample set import using a test (Staging) setup, before rolling over to a new forum.

Then just delete the database (test one) when you are done and confirm it imports fine.

It's a lot of money to spend when it might not carry over the old vBulletin 3 password hashes from the IP. Board import. If that's the case then I'll just stick with IP. Board since I need all accounts fully functional without needing to reset passwords

Converting to XF1 or XF2 shouldn't cause any issues with people being able to log back in. If need be you can send out reset password emails and just have them change their password to renew the hash into XF2 if need be.

It's a lot of money to spend when it might not carry over the old vBulletin 3 password hashes from the IP. Board import. If that's the case then I'll just stick with IP. Board since I need all accounts fully functional without needing to reset passwords
See this comment of mine "I was involved MANY moons ago in a VB3 > Xenforo 1.x migration, and no users had issues logging in after the upgrade. It just worked!"

User password resets aren't the end of the world, infact users SHOULD be resetting their password after an upgrade like that.

See this comment of mine "I was involved MANY moons ago in a VB3 > Xenforo 1.x migration, and no users had issues logging in after the upgrade. It just worked!"

User password resets aren't the end of the world, infact users SHOULD be resetting their password after an upgrade like that.

Apparently double conversions usually don't work and members who haven't logged in since the forums were on vBulletin 3 will likely need to reset their passwords. XenForo is such good software so I don't see this as a big enough problem not to convert

I don't really see it as a blocking issue.

You haven't said how long it's been since the switch to IPS but if it's been several months and those members haven't logged in yet then they are unlikely to.

Even then it's just a password reset which takes less than a minute to resolve.

You could do an email blast now to those members who haven't logged in prior to switching to XF, which will mitigate the password issue.

Top Bottom