Add-on Importer, Classifieds and Store

• Thread starter Thread starter Nelson T.
  • Start date Start date
N

Nelson T.

So...with the help of some of you fabulous people on here....coders, and staff who have tolerated my newness, I have replicated a lot of the features our not-for-profit machinist education site had with VBulletin.

We have two or three features my users want that we still need to unlock.

- Downloads - We can use the resource manager to support the downloading of the files (most of which are PDFs), but we need an IMPORTER from an external folder that I copied all the files to when I removed VBulletin. I know someone is working on this now, so we should be ok, but, it is still needed....

-Classifieds - Our members like to buy and sell machine parts and tools. A dependable classified system would be great. The site can also get a small fee and make some bucks. Anyone?

-Store - Speaking of making bucks, a small shopping cart store, like a site store, with branded merchandise, hats, shirts, mouse pads, mugs. would be awesome. Anyone?

-also- Groups- import our social groups into XF. Anyone?

Thanks for reading this!

-Classifieds - Our members like to buy and sell machine parts and tools. A dependable classified system would be great. The site can also get a small fee and make some bucks. Anyone?
You may be interested in the trader add on. Also I know there's a classifieds add on coming soon. Check out the resource discussion board.

As far as a fee for unlocking features, this could be done in most cases with account upgrades that place the user in additional user groups that gain access to create threads and view boards they wouldn't as a normal user.

Most add ons have extra permissions to use the features.

The downloads was available on a limited basis depending on the usergroup to conserve bandwidth. In other words, donors got more, non-donors less, etc.

NOTE- I will pay fairly for EACH of these needs...I don't expect anything for free, in case that was not clear.

We need:

-Downloads Importer from an external file to RM.
-Groups Importer from VB4.
-Classified Ads system
-Store (Shopping cart)

Anyone?

-Classified Ads system
Did you take a look at https://xenforo.com/community/threads/crowd-funding-proposal-for-classifieds-add-on.94477/ ?

-Groups Importer from VB4.
Currently there are two groups add ons that I know of. I don't know if either offers an importer.

-Downloads Importer from an external file to RM.
Let me know what your budget is for this and I can probably get it done for you. Feel free to pm me on here or http://xenmods.com

-Store (Shopping cart)
There's not currently a good solution for this as far as I know, although @Mr. Goodie2Shoes seems to be planning something after the classified system. XenProduct by @Chris D is great but it's not for physical goods.

My social groups has an importer for vb 3.8 and 4.2 with small board and big board :) maybe it need for you.

@Daniel,

Classifieds is not a top priority, since we can just let the parties list their stuff in a forum, which we are doing now. We run a not for profit, and, financing someone's workstation would raise some serious eyebrows from the IRS.

None of the social group addons I have looked at here do any importing. That is still needed.

My budget on an importer from an external folder (either on the server or on my computer) to the RM would be the usual cost of addons- $50-75. This would, in my opinion, have a lot of buyers, because there is no way to do it now, and downloads managers are very popular in VB- either the one called Downloads II by Jelle or DBTech's Downloads addon for VB4.

The same goes for the shopping cart (small site store). We want to raise a few bucks by selling custom imprinted stuff, such as hats and t-shirts. Nothing too fancy.

As a side thought, the resource manager should have a download limit per day per group. Who wants someone going to your site and downloading 100 files per day, eating up all your bandwidth? If someone could tackle that as well, it would be great.

Classifieds is not a top priority, since we can just let the parties list their stuff in a forum, which we are doing now.
Well... you were looking for a system so @Daniel Hood showed you one... now you are saying you are going with "forums"?.. lol :p

We run a not for profit, and, financing someone's workstation would raise some serious eyebrows from the IRS.
Not sure about that... but you are looking for a "custom development" for classifieds and the fees for such system would be great... that wouldn't raise any eyebrows?

Well... you were looking for a system so @Daniel Hood showed you one... now you are saying you are going with "forums"? :p

Not sure about that... but you are looking for a "custom development" for classifieds and the fees for such system would be great... that wouldn't raise any eyebrows?

We keep our expenses low as possible. That is what is required for not for profits.
Buying someone a computer to do coding for us would be contrary to that.

If I hire a plumber to fix a leak, I don't buy him tools.
If I hire a carpenter to build something, I don't buy him a hammer.
I was trying to be diplomatic, but since you commented, buying you a computer to finish an addon is pretty outlandish in my opinion, and I won't do it.
Buy your own computer, finish your addon, and sell it for whatever you feel is reasonable (and what people will pay for).

Well, that escalated quickly.

I was just showing you an option to get what you wanted. If you don't like the concept, don't do it. You aren't buying him a computer, you're buying a license before the software is complete.

@Daniel

He seemed to take offense at my comment that I cannot buy an addon that way. :shrugs:
Nonprofits have to account for money spent. Buying an addon before it is completed is simply not a good idea. What if he doesn't get the workstation and never completes it?

In any event, if you deal with customers, getting in their face rarely accomplishes anything.
(Am I more likely to buy the addon now? Think about it.)

He seemed to take offense at my comment that I cannot buy an addon that way. :shrugs:
Nonprofits have to account for money spent. Buying an addon before it is completed is simply not a good idea. What if he doesn't get the workstation and never completes it?
Can you not write this "donation" off as a business expense? I know that many non profits make donations but in your case to me it sounds like this could be a business expense.
By the time you file your taxes next year and claim this "business expense" you will have something to show for it.

If for whatever reason you do not see why it couldnt classify as a "business expense" I dont see why you cannot make a donation. Afterall non profits do make donations often.

Can you not write this "donation" off as a business expense? I know that many non profits make donations but in your case to me it sounds like this could be a business expense.
By the time you file your taxes next year and claim this "business expense" you will have something to show for it.

If for whatever reason you do not see why it couldnt classify as a "business expense" I dont see why you cannot make a donation. Afterall non profits do make donations often.

We're getting off topic here. The issue is we have a fella wanting money with no product who gets testy on here when I say I can't do that. Makes me doubly suspicious. Wouldn't allow this on our site-people might want to hold the site responsible.

In response to your questions, all business expenses must be listed. I have a board of directors I have to answer to. Donations can only be made to other not for profit organizations. If you are curious, Google 501c3 and check the regs. I can't just hand out money.

Back on topic. We need a few things for the site, principally an Importer for external files from a downloads manager, small cart system, and classified system and will pay fairly for them, just not up front before they are written. Lol

Back on topic. We need a few things for the site, principally an Importer for external files from a downloads manager, small cart system, and classified system and will pay fairly for them, just not up front before they are written. Lol

You're going to have a lot of trouble finding someone to do any of these. Most of these don't exist yet. I still want to reference @Mr. Goodie2Shoes' add on here, that's your best shot at a classifieds system (not saying fund it, but wait for it, just might be waiting for a while).

For other things, I was interested in doing an importer for you but it's not going to happen without a deposit and for such a small reward (I'm not doing custom work and hoping other people share your same interest). This is going to be your problem finding any developer to do any work for you. If you need the product to be finished before you buy it, you may as well limit yourself to what's in the resource center already.

We're getting off topic here. The issue is we have a fella wanting money with no product who gets testy on here when I say I can't do that. Makes me doubly suspicious. Wouldn't allow this on our site-people might want to hold the site responsible.
When you order a custom product you never have the product but you end up paying a certain amount (usually 50% downpayment). In the development world crowd funding is pretty common.

Can you tell me what would have been the difference if you hired a developer to make you a add-on? You would pay and then wait for the addon to be developed? Basically the same thing Mr.Goodie is asking for.

In response to your questions, all business expenses must be listed. I have a board of directors I have to answer to. Donations can only be made to other not for profit organizations. If you are curious, Google 501c3 and check the regs. I can't just hand out money.
Then it could be a custom development business expense..

Projects like this may be considered quiet large add-ons (cart system, classified). I doubt any developer will do all the work without a payment first. What if they develop the addon and you hit the road and never make the payment?
Just like you said what if Mr.Goodie takes the money and hits the road? What if your developer develops the add-on (without you making a payment first) and then you hit the road?

Bottom line is, the funds will be raised; its just a matter of time. Mr. Goodie is a trusted developer in the community. @Sheldon offered insurance of up to $500. No one is asking you for 2k but a $30 buyin would buy you the addon =D

Top Bottom