Implemented Image and Media gallery must be INTEGRATED

Tigratrus

Image and video gallery that is actually INTEGRATED with the forums. ALL images and video that has been uploaded should categorizable, searchable and should be EASILY organized and reused by the member. Take a look at http://www.plupload.com/ for an upload system that resizes the image ON THE WORKSTATION. This is huge, as most people don't have a clue how to resize an image and get frustrated when their 5 MB image takes forever to upload.

Upvote 19
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I for one am not easily confused, however having board at (say) 4.2.7 and Blogs at 3.1.5 and Gallery at 4.1.0 and Subscriptions at 1.1.0 and Download Manager at 3.5.8 -etc etc etc IS confusing. There is ZERO denotation of what goes with what in that kind of set up.

Please don't belittle people for wanting to explore a better system, it doesn't make them stupid, or easily confused, in fact the opposite it makes them seekers of a better way ;)
I'm sorry, where did I belittle people?

I said if something is labeled and presented in a decent fashion (for example, only showing version numbers when it's appropriate), it shouldn't be confusing, but even then it isn't fool-proof. I also was specifically talking about the way the versioning system presented by MordyT would probably be worse than what is currently used by products nowadays.

I support the idea of something to help denote what product goes with what version. :)

That doesn't handle other products well.

v3.2.1.4.3 for the Forum/Blog/Gallery/Calendar? That just really over complicates what a otherwise a simple version means, and people who run forum software generally know what version numbers mean since it's common practice of "major version . semi-major version . minor fixes" across a lot of applications. What happens when you start to include third-party add-ons and their version numbers?

Keeping the version numbers separate and having them represent what they really are works fine. Someone understands:

Installed Forum Version: 2.0.1 | Latest Stable Version: 2.0.2
Installed Blog Version: 1.0.0 | Latest Stable Version: 1.0.0

If you label it and present it in a decent fashion, people shouldn't get confused and if they are, other things will probably confuse them as well.

I work for a major third party supplier to one of the current forum products and the question about version numbers comes up at least once a week, followed very quickly if a new user of the software, with a question as to why the version numbers are different between the products. Our own products are numbered directly to the forum release number btw. In your example above, and from a couple of commercial forum sites, there is no indication that the Blog version will in any way work with the Forum version, there would be question one.

Remember the vast majority of people using forum software don't actually hang around forum sites keeping track of various version numbers.

What about displaying version numbers like this:

XF Forum: 2.3.1 (G2)
XF Blog: 1.1.4 (G2)
XF Gallery: 1.3.0 (G2)

The idea here is that Gx refers to a Generation of products. The forum would be a Generation 1 product, and any add-on would simply indicate the requirement in order for to be installed is that it would have to belong to a certain generation of products. That way you could group together products under one name, and then if there's any semi-major or major versions that come out at a later time, you just increment the generation count.

Since the forum is the base, I would think it proper that its releases would determine generation count.

Presupposing they are going to keep major changes to "generation" level, then I quite like that idea :D

Can we please have each current module release number match the current release number of the forum:

e.g Forum at 1.2.5, Gallery at 1.2.5 etc.

I couldn't agree more. I hate having to keep track of variant numbers. I support you in this, Jethro!

hi. sorry my english.

I cant translate to english so I wright Turkish language

English:( Google Translate ) : How can something like this.

But we have come to be used for video and picture gallery picture gallery video portal or not the two combined to give a picture of my case as an example.

With this integrated to the main page that is also the navbar under forumhome'ye youtube'deki last video will be added as 5

A portion of the cut towards the middle or last five images can be shown.

Turkish: Söyle bir şey nasıl olur .

Video ve resim galerisi ama alısıla geldigimiz video portalı yada resim galerisi degil ikisinin birleştirilmiş hali örnek olarak bir resim vereccegim.

ayrıca bu entegre ile birlite ana sayfaya yani forumhomeye de navbarın altına youtubedeki gibi 5 son video eklenecek

ortalarına dogru bir kısımıda kesip son 5 resim gösterilebilir.
media-video-jpg.1081

English: Integration of video

able to attract large video sites video

Also - the flash player plug-in styles can be added a whole. mp4,. swf. flv to video, such as that in the extension also be able to play.

Be able to add the files in two different ways

1 - able to take pictures on facebook facebook server without using contractions be usable pictures show

2 - as a direct upload with ftp, but the pictures that have been identified according to size and be able to trim down to size and be able to take courses

because there is no such thing for my English, I've written for you if you turn the actors and use

Turkish:Video entegresi
büyük video sitelerinde videoları çekebilmeli
ayrıca - flash player tarzı bir eklenti eklenip bütün .mp4, .swf .flv gibi uzantılarda ki videolarıda oynatabilmeli.

Resim eklentisi ise iki farklı şekilde olabilmeli

1- Resimler facebook üzerinden alınabilmeli server kasılmadan facebook kullanılarak resimler gösterilebilmeli

2- Direkt olarak ftp upload ile ama resimlerin boyutlarına göre kırpabilmeli ve belirlenmiş olan boyutlara düşürüp içeri alabilmeli

ingilizcem olmadıgı için bu kadar şeyi cevirek ben yazdım size uygunsa cevirip kullanın

Attachments

• media-video.webp
    media-video.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 79
Please use a Google translator, as that will help us tremendously. :)

Translated Suggestion:

Alısıla geldigimiz video portal video and picture gallery, but not the image gallery or two as an example of a unified state vereccegim picture.
that it integrates well with the chorus to the main page under forumhomeye youtubedeki the navbar will be added as the last video 5
cut out the middle of the last five images can be displayed accurately kısımıda.

Integration of video
able to attract large video sites video
Also - the flash player plug-in styles can be added a whole. mp4,. swf. flv extension, such as that in videolarıda able to play.
Be able to add the files in two different ways
1 - able to take pictures on facebook facebook server without using contractions be usable pictures show
2 - Direct upload with the ftp, but the pictures were determined according to size and be able to trim down the size and able to take courses
because there is no such thing for my English actors and I've written for you if you use cevirip

A video and picture gallery was already suggested, merged with simular requests.

And what happens when forum gets to 3.2.1? It's just going to cause confusion.
The devs will have decide how many numbers the are going to go in, how deep, and then the products be labeled as such.

My whole idea is that the if the "prefix" (first "X" numbers) match, its compatible.

Who changed the thread name, it doesn't reflect the content of this thread at all????

The thread is about Naming conventions for Add on's not Integration.

Actually it looks liek someone has merged two unrelated threads >_<

The one started by Jethro was about Naming conventions for add-ons, no idea what the other one was about.

Argh!

xf.gallery 3.5.2.x.x, whatever numbering system that would match the version of xf in the digits of interest. In this example it would match xf 3.5.2
+
Lets say that xenForo doesn't make the Gallery until xenForo is at version 3.5. That would mean that the first version of the gallery would be called 3.5.

Doesn't make much sense to me. Something as important as installing a module that could change interactivity within a site should not be quick but solid. A chronological numbering system with detailed software requirements is a much better.
=

(example)
xf.gallery.1.x.x_ 3.5.x

xf.gallery.1.x.x being the products release and after the underscore, 3.5.x is the corresponding forum release and everyone is happy ( I think).

Just require developers to include the suffix relating to which forum build they developed the mod for and it will spare confusion.

I would like to support the album and/or media gallery suggestion by adding my 2 wishes:

Implement me ;)
Add MediaRSS support to it, so the media (images/video) can be used in custom slideshows or video playlists.

This would be really fantastic.

Profile albums are really a half baked system. Its good functionality, but the rest of the gallery is missing.
Better do it well as a full fledged gallery.

I loved the simplicity of the albums, while most like all the bells 'n' whistles of a full-fledged gallery, which could be quite a while in the making.

Our vb albums did not do well and were not often used. There was no way for the general membership to know when a new picture was added. Eventually they added Latest Albums(?) to the dropdown list under 'community', but even then they seemed much more like multiple profile pics than anything else.

I do hope there is something in place to capture those album pictures when converting to xf. It does not need to be pretty for the time being.

There was no way for the general membership to know when a new picture was added.
This is, where MediaRSS could really help.
Imagine you have 4 group albums, one of them is called "landscapes" and you could configure a "Landscapes" widget to always show the 4 latest images from this album by using its MediaRSS feed. As an extra bonus you can use MediaRSS to provide pages with beautiful slideshows automatically fed by the MediaRSS. :)

MediaRSS extends on RSS and adds support for images, video and audio files.
Imagine a "Photography Showroom" forum section and you pull its RSS feed to access all image, video and audio attachments in the posts listed. Doesn't that sound good?

Imagine you have 4 group albums, one of them is called "landscapes" and you could configure a "Landscapes" widget to always show the 4 latest images from this album by using its MediaRSS feed. As an extra bonus you can use MediaRSS to provide pages with beautiful slideshows automatically fed by the MediaRSS. :)

MediaRSS extends on RSS and adds support for images, video and audio files.
Imagine a "Photography Showroom" forum section and you pull its RSS feed to access all image, video and audio attachments in the posts listed. Doesn't that sound good?

If you mean a separate page that aggregates the information which people need to remember to check occasionally, that may not be my personal ideal solution, especially not ideal if the newest few images are on the main list of forums which take up visual space.

On some forums blog/articles/PMs/PCs/etc occur on a completely random basis, as do pictures being added. I am hoping eventually somehow all of those things could be integrated into the alert system.

Ok, alerts are a different story of course.
What I tried to suggest is, that MediaRSS can be used for many purposes, just like the RSS feeds. Let's say we have a sidebar or an extra row that lists the latest x images/videos/audio files. Not necessarily with thumbnails, could be plain text with links. MediaRSS just contains information and you can parse and use it the way you like, no matter if you put it right on a forum's page or create dropdown lists or a layer like the XenForo member cards. Everything is possible. :) ... and even better: It still contains all the regular RSS information we all know.

Ok, alerts are a different story of course.
What I tried to suggest is, that MediaRSS can be used for many purposes, just like the RSS feeds. Let's say we have a sidebar or an extra row that lists the latest x images/videos/audio files. Not necessarily with thumbnails, could be plain text with links. MediaRSS just contains information and you can parse and use it the way you like, no matter if you put it right on a forum's page or create dropdown lists or a layer like the XenForo member cards. Everything is possible. :) ... and even better: It still contains all the regular RSS information we all know.
Completely agree.

Top Bottom