Implemented Image and Media gallery must be INTEGRATED

Tigratrus

Image and video gallery that is actually INTEGRATED with the forums. ALL images and video that has been uploaded should categorizable, searchable and should be EASILY organized and reused by the member. Take a look at http://www.plupload.com/ for an upload system that resizes the image ON THE WORKSTATION. This is huge, as most people don't have a clue how to resize an image and get frustrated when their 5 MB image takes forever to upload.

Upvote 19
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I loved the simplicity of the albums, while most like all the bells 'n' whistles of a full-fledged gallery, which could be quite a while in the making.

Me too. Just having user abiliy to upload pics to their own space, auto generate a thumb; user optionally adds a title or short comment, and categorises.That's fine for starers because some types of users love sharing pics.

Later (would make a nice mod) would be good to have an adapted forum where uploading a pic to your gallery automatically sends message to this forum with link to the pic, and to your gallery: message text is the title or comment added.
Building on this idea admin could create broad categories (landscape/ portraits/ music/ abstract) which offer tags to the user when uploading. These tags relate to threads in the gallery forum which get auto updated by uploads. Other threads are also possible for topic discussions.

With the way in which profiles are designed, by nature, absence of some form of photo album system may leave visitors puzzled. Web users are so used to Facebook functionality nowadays it may very well be seen as a limitation, especially when most sites of a communications based nature (I avoid using the term social because that implies a smaller group under communications, IMO) have such a feature.

It doesn't have to be complex. As a matter of fact, in the interest of time being left to develop the forum, I would keep it as simple and clean as possible. Nevertheless, it would be a shame to see this missing.

There is one category of user that is very big on galleries, full fledged ones. Right now Photopost, PhotoPlog Pro, and Coppermine are the three most used with Photopost leading the pack. Thats the Scrapbooking Industry and that is a fairly good size chunk of the software.

I don't have recent data but the interest in scrapbooking across the USA has boomed virtually overnight. Sales have skyrocketed from $500 million in 2000 to $2.5 billion in 2003. The booming scrapbooking market in the USA

The most recent Craft and Hobby Association (CHA) study found that 57 percent of U.S. households (62 million households) participated in crafts and craft activities in 2006. The same study reported that 4 million new people come to the crafting craze each year and that the crafting industry has experienced a 43 percent growth during the last 3 years. http://www.infotoday.com/searcher/sep07/Gordon-Murnane.shtml

So while the average forum may not need a gallery, there is a huge niche that does. And we use a forum with it. So at least consider a bridge.

Liz

Can we please have an albums feature, something like vBulletin, just better ;) My members use it a lot, and I prefer not to loose this features once I upgrade to XenForo

Yes, please. I don't need a full fledged gallery system, but I would be happy to be able to import vB 3.8 user albums into XF or if that is not possible, at least this basic functionality (like vB and Facebook have) so my users are able to do what they love: uploading pics to their own albums!

Yes, please. I don't need a full fledged gallery system, but I would be happy to be able to import vB 3.8 user albums into XF or if that is not possible, at least this basic functionality (like vB and Facebook have) so my users are able to do what they love: uploading pics to their own albums!
Theoretical question. Could you 'make do' with importing them a few months later?

Theoretical question. Could you 'make do' with importing them a few months later?

Sure... in fact I will not even upgrade to XF in the coming 6 months. Not until XF offers us integrated Blogs. I need integrated Blogs for my current platform and for a future platform... if XenForo does not (for whatever reason) provide this in the nearby future, then XF is no option for us. Unfortunately. Very unfortunately. But I am convinced a solution will be provided in due time... how else can XF compete with vBulletin and Invision and really get a substantial enough marketshare to generate income to build further on the product? A forum-only solution (albeit a fantastic one in this case) is simply not enough.

I can't tell you how many times I've had a great thread that someone put together as a record of their project or even a tutorial for others to use, but they used images hosted on flikr or photobucket etc. Then 6 months later a members is reading through it and posts asking if they can get the images because they are all broken links! We also create articles based on member threads, and if the images are uploaded to our site, based on our site Terms and Conditions we have the legal right to use them in one of our articles. If they are hosted elsewhere it's less clear, though our members will almost always grant us permission sometimes we can't get in touch with them.

I had the same problem when members would write articles. I now transfer the pictures to my photo gallery and update the image links in the article.

I would wait to make the switch to xenforo but I will buy a license when it's available. A gallery is a must have for me.

Not to mention Photoplog, which actually has substantially better integration with vB than either photopost or vbgallery. ;)

But, Kier and Mike have said before that a Gallery solution will be one of the things they will be looking nat as an addon after the core forum system is out and stable.

An XF solution to replace PP would be awesome, but this might take a year or longer to become available. I'm hoping PP will support XF ASAP since we can't do without a decent gallery.

Chuck, the guy over at PP says that he tried to get in touch with XF guys couple of weeks ago to work out an integration script to no avail ... he says no one responded to his email.
That would also be awesome since I don't even have to import anything... it's just plug and play ;)

I have recently upgraded to VB4 and a big chunk of my forum members are older folks, and their main complaint is the complexity of VB4 even to make an attachment. (fill-in the blanks here for my frustration to walk them through every thing :D)
This is why I'm keeping an eye on here :D I'm buying the script either way but the sooner I switch the better, and a switch is not thinkable without a Photopost integration (Photoplug for others)

Developers please take note :)

I just want my current vB3.8 gallery to transfer over. The one that came with vB3.8. Not sure if it has a 'name' or just the vBulletin gallery.

I just want my current vB3.8 gallery to transfer over. The one that came with vB3.8. Not sure if it has a 'name' or just the vBulletin gallery.
It's just part of the installation.

For me, a gallery in-product isn't 100% necessary, however I certainly see its use for others. I'll throw my vote of support in for a future version.

vBGallery for vB4 is actually quite awesome. I'm also hoping there will be a quick and easy way to somehow port that to Xenforo. The Gallery and perhaps a port for the ibpro Arcade mod are high on my list of should-have features.

Top Bottom