IIS + Zend Server CE?

Shamil

Hi,
I'm currently using IIS 7.5 with PHP 5.3 and WinCache installed. I am currently evaluating method to attain better performance, and reliability.
Would installing Zend Server CE give me any benefits?

I'm not sure. Zend Server CE is only a package made up of a web server (IIS / Apache), PHP with a bunch of extensions and a web interface and MySQL server.
It would be better to have a customized PHP configuration from scratch rather than relying on a default overloaded php.ini optimized for nothing !
On Linux, Zend Server CE is a disaster in terms of performance compared to an installation from source. However the retail version is much more interesting with the support of clustering, code tracing and job queues.
If you absolutely want to use ZSCE, I advise you to use Apache instead of IIS to use PHP as a dso module.

Absolutely not !

It's the GUI that gets people ...:D you know so you can edit your php.ini and what not.

I use phpmanager module it's just awesome.
Zend server is cool when it's not CE :D

I'm not sure. Zend Server CE is only a package made up of a web server (IIS / Apache), PHP with a bunch of extensions and a web interface and MySQL server.
It would be better to have a customized PHP configuration from scratch rather than relying on a default overloaded php.ini optimized for nothing !
On Linux, Zend Server CE is a disaster in terms of performance compared to an installation from source. However the retail version is much more interesting with the support of clustering, code tracing and job queues.
If you absolutely want to use ZSCE, I advise you to use Apache instead of IIS to use PHP as a dso module.
Apache is equally a disaster on windows. (and on NIX for that matter :D)

I use phpmanager module it's just awesome.
This is just a wrapper to php.ini. That's like saying that IIS is wonderful because it has an ui to manage sites.
Apache is equally a disaster on windows. (and on NIX for that matter :D)
Yes and no, it is very difficult to set up right but it isn't one a most-used web servers for nothing: D
Obviously, it will be most interesting to use nginx/lighttpd + php-fpm on *NIX if we know the needs of the installed PHP scripts.

It is better to focus on IIS. After all pay for a very expensive Windows license for use only * NIX software ...

This is just a wrapper to php.ini. That's like saying that IIS is wonderful because it has an ui to manage sites.
My personal preference is IIS 7 with php. not for the GUI (Well it is a plus when you spare me to type and lookup manuals:D)
but also for performance and for out of the box:
Media server
flexibility of compression
and a host of other things ... and maybe because i'm juts use to it

and not to forget the pool management ;)

you can even run the same php application with different php versions !
Meaning you can have one index.php run with 5.2 and members.php run with 5.3
is that awesome or what ? :D don't ask me why you wanna do that but just in case ... :D

I'm not sure how this whole Zend Server CE recommendation got started. I think some people now believe that since XF includes a small amount of code based on Zend Framework that they must run Zend Server to use it. This is totally untrue.

Any of the pre-packaged LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) or XAMPP or other packages which include web server, MySQL, and PHP are perfectly suitable to test XenForo on your home computer. However they are mostly are targeted for casual users and not appropriate for a dedicated server or VPS (Virtual Private Server). I realize that Zend Server CE touts itself as being production-ready, but I think more research is warranted.

XAMPP Website said:
The default configuration is not good from a securtiy point of view and it's not secure enough for a production environment - please don't use XAMPP in such environment.

and not to forget the pool management ;)

you can even run the same php application with different php versions !
Meaning you can have one index.php run with 5.2 and members.php run with 5.3
is that awesome or what ? :D don't ask me why you wanna do that but just in case ... :D
True, except, I'd avoid using 5.2 with IIS. PHP Manager ftw!

I'm not sure how this whole Zend Server CE recommendation got started. I think some people now believe that since XF includes a small amount of code based on Zend Framework that they must run Zend Server to use it. This is totally untrue.
I've been looking into this way before XenForo. The Page caching got my attention is a Drupal benchmark

Any of the pre-packaged LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) or XAMPP or other packages which include web server, MySQL, and PHP are perfectly suitable to test XenForo on your home computer. However they are mostly are targeted for casual users and not appropriate for a dedicated server or VPS (Virtual Private Server). I realize that Zend Server CE touts itself as being production-ready, but I think more research is warranted.
I've installed MySQL by myself. PHP was installed by myself.

Well, I went ahead and installed it. No PHP files would process, the server gave HTTP 500s, with a crappy error message: ZPS could not find current script path. Please contact support. in Unknown on line 0.
Contacted Zend over an hour ago. No reply.

Well, I went ahead and installed it. No PHP files would process, the server gave HTTP 500s, with a crappy error message: ZPS could not find current script path. Please contact support. in Unknown on line 0.
Contacted Zend over an hour ago. No reply.
ok uninstall quick :D
install phpmanager and it will analyze your php install and tell you what you need to do about the PATH ;)

oh .. did I mention uninstall zend? ...

ok uninstall quick :D
install phpmanager and it will analyze your php install and tell you what you need to do about the PATH ;)

oh .. did I mention uninstall zend? ...

Done, and installing :) That's one tool I'd never thought I'd end up installing.
EDIT: cgi.path_info not set? I did that yesterday. Let's try Zend again. Looks like there's been a small cock-up. The config hasn't propagated to all of the server :eek: Need to see what's going on. Time to wake up my server admins :D

Done, and installing :) That's one tool I'd never thought I'd end up installing.
EDIT: cgi.path_info not set? I did that yesterday. Let's try Zend again. Looks like there's been a small cock-up. The config hasn't propagated to all of the server :eek: Need to see what's going on. Time to wake up my server admins :D
I have tried zend .... waist of time really .. and the most annoying thing is everything is misplaced according to zend's BS
Zend is really nice when you need to debug and the auto update and that's when you have the commercial license
CE version is just a not worth it

As I said you better off installing everything manually and configuring IIS .... (but I know I'm stubborn too, I only learn the hard way :D)

I have tried zend .... waist of time really .. and the most annoying thing is everything is misplaced according to zend's BS
Zend is really nice when you need to debug and the auto update and that's when you have the commercial license
CE version is just a not worth it

As I said you better off installing everything manually and configuring IIS .... (but I know I'm stubborn too, I only learn the hard way :D)
I'll just keep to what I have now. Will have to wait until they implement WinCache as a cache into the framework.

I'll just keep to what I have now. Will have to wait until they implement WinCache as a cache into the framework.
you mean xenforo?
headover to zend.com and look how can you enable wincache (Assuming xenforo is using a great deal of zend)

you mean xenforo?
headover to zend.com and look how can you enable wincache (Assuming xenforo is using a great deal of zend)

The Zend Framework hasn't implemented WinCache as a datastore in it's caching system. I assume XenForo is using the ZF caching system?

The Zend Framework hasn't implemented WinCache as a datastore in it's caching system. I assume XenForo is using the ZF caching system?
Exact. But ZfCache supports Zend_Cache_Backend_ZendServer_Disk and Zend_Cache_Backend_ZendServer_ShMem: http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.cache.backends.html. You must configure it manually by editing the XenForo_Application source code.
Not tested.

A developer should still be able to implement it by create a backend for Zend_Cache or by writing an interface ZfCache-compatible for WinCache.

Top Bottom