I want to give you money ---- Will you turn me away?

PayPal and Google Checkout. Both should be offered.

However the more complicated the setup of the shop will be, the more only PayPal can deliver.

Paypal exclusivity probably saved all those mod makers a lot of headaches and grief then.
yes but this thread is for discussion on why ONE user feels like the world is against him as he wants to give the addon developers money but cant/is not able to use paypal...

im sure that if he contacted those developers directly that he wants to give money to, they would have been able to suggest a different payment method, but yeah...its so much better to create a thread and talk about how they want to give money but developers dont want to take it...

well, case in point regarding taking Google Checkout, the whole virtual visa card paying as "guest" through PayPal, is hard and not working well. But payment for towards hosting bill went through instantly, via Google Checkout and Virtual Visa Card. I logged in entropay, created new card, loaded funds from normal Mastercard/debit. Charged me 4.95% transfer fee. I tried paying Mike Edge's hosting invoice with PayPal, it was fail. I transferred the funds back to other Virtual Visa Card, cost me 20 cents... tried that card... failed. Kept it on that card, and he added Google Checkout as payment option, paid it instantly, no issues, nothing went wrong. Yay for Google Checkout.. Lol! Had done google from get, he would have gotten full 64.88, instead of 60.00 lmao. i wouldn't have had to transfer to virtual cards, twice, could have just used normal mastercard debit and the dang fees! note: i tried the two virtual card, cause paypal evidently caught on to me, system went on alert mode lol

Well...I've heard more "Banned wrongfully" stories about Google Adsense and less about "Banned wrongfully" stories about PayPal. I have a little bit of trust issue with google after my personal experience with them (Adsense). Many publishers just lose their Adsense account for no fault of theirs.

I've been looking into a lot of online payment receiving options due to me launching my business soon (which will mostly deal with digital selling of photographs). And PayPal seems to be everywhere, stock photography sites pay you directly through paypal, customers who wish to buy your photos directly from your site wish to pay by paypal etc. Paypal is being used my most online buyers, and I personally would not really spend my time on setting an alternative, I'd rather spend my time taking photographs and growing my business.

Now, I don't think paypal will just be gone from the face of the Earth (scenario in your first post) since it's established and if it does it'll face a lot of legal problems. If such a case arises only then will I look into alternatives (or if more than 50% of my clients wish an alternative).

I guess its the same for all the developers and designers here, they don't want to waste time setting up an alternative payment method when they can spend that same time developing and designing. Unless they feel the need to if they say "yea, more than 30% of our clients are asking for an alternative lets give em one", currently I guess they just face 1 or 2 people who cannot pay via PayPal. If you look at it from their shoes, it's just a waste of time trying to provide an alternative for that less a crowd, and not to forget dealing with 2 methods of accepting payment online, keeping tabs of two separate TOS, dealing with two different customer bases etc will just raise their headaches and take away time from what they originally do, and that is developing.

well, case in point regarding taking Google Checkout, the whole virtual visa card paying as "guest" through PayPal, is hard and not working well. But payment for towards hosting bill went through instantly, via Google Checkout and Virtual Visa Card. I logged in entropay, created new card, loaded funds from normal Mastercard/debit. Charged me 4.95% transfer fee. I tried paying Mike Edge's hosting invoice with PayPal, it was fail. I transferred the funds back to other Virtual Visa Card, cost me 20 cents... tried that card... failed. Kept it on that card, and he added Google Checkout as payment option, paid it instantly, no issues, nothing went wrong. Yay for Google Checkout.. Lol! Had done google from get, he would have gotten full 64.88, instead of 60.00 lmao. i wouldn't have had to transfer to virtual cards, twice, could have just used normal mastercard debit and the dang fees! note: i tried the two virtual card, cause paypal evidently caught on to me, system went on alert mode lol

From your hassles last night. I am happy to say, at launch, besides PayPal.. We will also accept Google and Moneybookers.

Never had any issues with Paypal. One minor incident involved someone sending money without us knowing why, and then before we even saw his initial booking, he reversed it and somehow a complaint was filed.

We submitted our evidence that no charges were made and the refund was processed. Never heard anything back.

If for some reason we suddenly loose out on Paypal, I'd happily accept Amazon coupons, or plain goods from Amazon.

PayPal and Google Checkout. Both should be offered.
AFAIK, Checkout is only currently available to USA sellers. Would therefore be quite restrictive if this was the selected alternative option, and thus would defeat the purpose.

AFAIK, Checkout is only currently available to USA sellers. Would therefore be quite restrictive if this was the selected alternative option, and thus would defeat the purpose.

How are people in different counties selling apps on Google Store then?

https://support.google.com/checkout/sell/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=134420

I stand corrected. USA and UK sellers only. Still very restrictive and defeats the purpose of a viable alternative.

others.webp

I accept payment by Google Checkout for all my add-ons.

I even accepted payment by Western Union for someone.

Money is money to me. As long as it is a reputable service and I can get the money relatively quickly I will accept that as a payment method. Just contact me.

My only issue with Google Checkout is it isn't as integrated to my ordering system as PayPal. Usually Google do something to verify the seller, and then I have to go on and approve the order. Then I have to click a button to charge the user. Then, and only then, the goods are delivered electronically.

Also, there is no facility to accept donations via Google Checkout unless you are a non-profit organisation. That counts me out. My only way would be to create a buy now button on Checkout for a set amount. Not even sure if that's allowed if goods aren't being exchanged.

Not necessarily

Hell.... Anything else would be preferred. Paypal is to much of a hassle and bank wire transfers aren't really acceptable.

I feel kind of silly..... I'm fighting to give money away. :confused:
Ironic as most people try to hold onto it as much as possible.

Problem and point of this thread is not what other services I use, because I have signed up to a dozen alternatives (went on a mass sign up spree a while ago). The point and problem is others need to join alternatives (any alternative, at least 1)
PayPal too much of a hassle? Give me break :) it's the greatest thing since bread came sliced, it has almost been a 'life-saver'. I cannot imagine a life without it :)

For example...

[.....]
  • wmtech
[.....]

This is only a small sample of handful of a much longer (larger) list of people who'd I'd love to send some money too.... If they had an alternative (not paypal or bank wire transfer).

Imagine how many others here who can not use paypal, who may have loved to make a donation from time to time. How much money do you think maybe lost by limiting yourself to only paypal?

The point of this thread is only to really suggest that people offer an alternative. They can keep using paypal, but something else beside it wouldn't be a bad idea.

We've added a "Google Checkout Donate Button" (actually they call it "Support"-Button) to our add-on:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/maintenance-screen.1335/

Thank you all again for donating and having alreay donated already.

There'll be more free and paid add-ons coming. It just takes time to prepare them for public release. All were coded for our web sites (with performance and larger traffic/inventory in mind) and therefore sometimes rely at features a standard XenForo doesn't have (or -the other way around- disregard features, we've disabled)... So it's not that easy to make some of them ready for public release. ;)

Also, there is no facility to accept donations via Google Checkout unless you are a non-profit organisation. That counts me out. My only way would be to create a buy now button on Checkout for a set amount. Not even sure if that's allowed if goods aren't being exchanged.

Google names donations just different.
There is a new "Support" button to allow people to "support" web sites or other services.
You even can allow people to insert their own amount to "support" you.

See:
https://developers.google.com/checkout/developer/support_button_generator
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/checkout-merchant/OKIoF_YacME/g-neS_kJFQcJ

There is just one problem with Google Checkout: The payment process has to be started at your own website or shop. There is no easy way to put a "Support" button into a forum message (or even an e-mail) currently.

I never have...
Ironically, I had my account restricted for the first time yesterday and it was indirectly because of XenForo (hah). But I honestly think it probably was a good idea.

When we migrated to XenForo, one of the new features we have is where a user can link their PayPal account to their Digital Point account (it allows them to do various things like see their balance and sell digital goods in our marketplace). But apparently when thousands of people linked their accounts up all at once it tripped some PayPal flags... Long story short is they restricted it to verify it was really us... and now it's back to unrestricted.

Top Bottom