I quit...

Aarmin

I quit, and I feel alright.

I've owned this such website for a while. I put a lot of effort into it last year (2012), but with my depression and my overwhelming ideas (that I never seem to accomplish) consuming my days off from work...

I quit, and I feel relieved.

Only 1.5 of my original four forums are still around. There something to be said for the "do one (or 2.5) to throw away" approach.

Of my current 8, only 3 (maybe 4) will ever have any degree of success. The others are narrowly focused to support other forums or interests.

I've owned this such website for a while. I put a lot of effort into it last year (2012), but with my depression and my overwhelming ideas (that I never seem to accomplish) consuming my days off from work...

Good for you that you made the right decision for you.

I would be interested in inquiring your community. We would give your members a proper home where they could freely talk about anything and everything, as we're uncensored. And if you so desired, we would keep you on as staff member as so you wouldn't have to completely walk away from what you started (of course you would still have that option as well).

Please send me a PM if you're a little curious and we can go over the details. :)

This would give me a chance to also test our XenForo to XenForo importer (in production).

Hard to imagine success in more than one forum. The shotgun approach, that is hoping that one out of a number of them hit, is not the best way IMHO.

Better to find one subject which you have some relationship to or are passionate about.

My opinion, anyway.

Well... days are strange

One of my members (not that I have a lot) doesn't want me to quit. Then since and before then, I have been thinking and contemplating what to do. I've decided to move in a different direction.

I know this site is based on a forum software, and this here community is... a bulletin board, but my website was not a primary bulletin board; most of my focus was actually on the website itself and the forums where there as a resource for people to ask questions. I was actually thinking about using the Disqus commenting system, so readers could make comments; its not that I didn't want to use a forum, but rather I found it really hard to create a "bridge" or connection between the community and articles. I'm currently using MyBB and for some strange reason I find it messy and detached from the rest of the website.

I've decided to move on to a more "community forum" based website, but with a slight twist. Hard to explain myself.

I'm actually a little excited, but I'm sure this will wear off. A lot of the stress hassle will be gone, because I've also decided to "not worry about it". Before I was spending a whole weekend trying to design a responsive website, integrate the forum, setup and decide how to maintain a Facebook site page (which I have since decided I'm not even going to bother), and some other wild ideas that ultimately just left me drained and stagnated. What's going on in my personal life doesn't help either.

For now I'm just brainstorming, and I may have the forum moved over to the xenForo platform today. Kind of bad timing since tomorrow is Monday and the beginning of my work week, but I need to be a patient grasshopper

Sorry for the story... as they say, most forums fail.

Aarmin glad your brain is heating up!

Ive found very diiferent ways of using XF on several different small boards.
One is very much a community - very personal philosophical and and supportive. So forum posts are ideal plus the Library addon for articles - bliss to edit without html just like posts.
A second one is a powerful work team site: the forum suits it but only with a big custom mod to track work projects.. Again Library is brilliant for guidance pages.
The third is the strangest one. I decided to use XF because I like the admin but I only have one forum which acts as a FAQ. The rest ois all static pages you can see here
http://fcuk.dev.waindigo.com/ (this is a temporary hosting while I finish it)

I just find XF so incredibly flexible. Glad you're becoming more optimistic.

Top Bottom