I know someone who...

True, not something I could do myself, I have seen John Carpenter's "the Thing" :eek:

Naw.. being cooped up with the same gang of people 24 hours a day for months and months and months on end is not my idea of fun!!! Not to mention the sheer isolation and entrapment, just knowing you CANNOT get out of there is enough to freak me out!!!
That's not really the case... I'm pretty sure they have regular supply flights in and out and I'm sure if you had a mental breakdown or something and really needed to leave, they could get you out pretty quickly. It may be at the bottom of the world, but you're not completely isolated.

The situation you're describing would be more like a flight to Mars - stuck in a capsule the size of a very small room, for months on end... That's the reason they've done serious pyschological experiments with isolating people, etc. What happens if a couple of crew members get into a fight, or someone gets seriously ill (or dies! :eek:), or someone has a mental breakdown. Guess what? You're all stuck in the same capsule for at least another 4 or so months. Have fun!

Not to mention the sheer isolation and entrapment, just knowing you CANNOT get out of there is enough to freak me out!!!
That I can handle... I used to spend some time alone when working for the Australian DOD... months alone with just a few guys. You get used to it pretty quick, and the isolation.

These days... as long as I had the missus, a doona or two (or three) and an endless supply of coffee, would be an adventure. I would love to be outside though, that would kick arse being out on the ice, all that white, no noise. I would love to visit the North or South poles... would be an awesome adventure... still scary, yet so thrilling.

That's not really the case... I'm pretty sure they have regular supply flights in and out and I'm sure if you had a mental breakdown or something and really needed to leave, they could get you out pretty quickly. It may be at the bottom of the world, but you're not completely isolated.

Not during winter they don't it is completely isolated, they have Doctors on site, and Surgical Theaters, however they only attempt a rescue mission if the situation is truly life threatening and even then it is not always possible due to the weather.

The You Tube vid just linked before shows a tiny sample of the weather conditions ... there is NO going in or out in that weather.

I just watched that... pretty freaky to say the least. A sandstorm is one thing, that paints a whole new picture into the scheme of zero visibility.

That I can handle... I used to spend some time alone when working for the Australian DOD... months alone with just a few guys. You get used to it pretty quick, and the isolation.

These days... as long as I had the missus, a doona or two (or three) and an endless supply of coffee, would be an adventure. I would love to be outside though, that would kick arse being out on the ice, all that white, no noise. I would love to visit the North or South poles... would be an awesome adventure... still scary, yet so thrilling.

It definately takes a certain mindset, the selection process is extremely rigorous as I am sure you can imagine, they don't just let anyone down there.. 9 months is a bloody long time to be stuck with the same people!

I can see the appeal of just the partner, and a few doonas though :D

Cool! and Oh so not cool >_<

I know 2 people who were at a Baby shower for Nicole Kidman's first adopted baby.

Are you in theater/TV yourself, or is it one of those overlapping-circles-of-friends things? I have a circle-overlap deal, so I almost always know someone who knows just about anyone you can name - but I don't know them myself. With a few very minor exceptions.

Are you in theater/TV yourself, or is it one of those overlapping-circles-of-friends things? I have a circle-overlap deal, so I almost always know someone who knows just about anyone you can name - but I don't know them myself. With a few very minor exceptions.

Overlapping circles kind of deal ;) I personally am not even slightly interested in Celebrities, however I have people very close to me in the Film Industry, and hear constantly about this one or that one ;) Quite fascinating :D

Overlapping circles kind of deal ;) I personally am not even slightly interested in Celebrities, however I have people very close to me in the Film Industry, and hear constantly about this one or that one ;) Quite fascinating :D

I'm interested in a few specific celebrities and would not in any way turn my nose up at a chance to meet them, but I'm not interested in anyone simply because they're a celebrity. I honestly wouldn't bother crossing the street in order to meet 99.9% of them. If that makes sense.

I'm interested in a few specific celebrities and would not in any way turn my nose up at a chance to meet them, but I'm not interested in anyone simply because they're a celebrity. I honestly wouldn't bother crossing the street in order to meet 99.9% of them. If that makes sense.

LOL makes perfect sense to me! I also have a handful that I *think* I would enjoy meeting, but of course you can never really tell if you will connect with someone until you do actually meet them.

I think I would enjoy meeting my old school buddy's brother again for example
wolverine2.gif

LOL makes perfect sense to me! I also have a handful that I *think* I would enjoy meeting, but of course you can never really tell if you will connect with someone until you do actually meet them.

I think I would enjoy meeting my old school buddy's brother again for example
wolverine2.gif

So true, I did "meet" one well-known name (in the very loose sense of, we had a two-minute conversation at a mutual friend's party) and I thought he was smug and stuck-up. Not at all what I expected. Fortunately I wasn't all that crazy about him beforehand, so no illusions were destroyed or anything. :D

So true, I did "meet" one well-known name (in the very loose sense of, we had a two-minute conversation at a mutual friend's party) and I thought he was smug and stuck-up. Not at all what I expected. Fortunately I wasn't all that crazy about him beforehand, so no illusions were destroyed or anything. :D

LOL well that is good then :p

I literally ran into Billy Connelly the Scottish comedian at a very crowded bar one night, (or he ran into me, i dunno which, there was a collision with drinks spilt all over the place anyway ) we had a two minute conversation and he was so funny, we had a right old laugh about it.. now he was someone I could have spent more time with.

I am friends with an individual whos grandfather had a big part in IBM's Hollerith punch system and have witnessed the problems the money their family has inherited from it destroy their personal relationships. Won't talk about it in detail suffice it to say:

I know someone who proved money is worthless if it outweighs the weight of the stock it's printed on.

I know someone who proved money is worthless if it outweighs the weight of the stock it's printed on.
I've seen all of this actually, and can atest that money destroys more than it does good. I am a very grounded, down to earth person, and I can say that money is not the answer to problems. Good to have just enough to survive and enjoy life, but if you let it consume you, it will destroy you, your relationships, your life. Normal is so nice...

Nice statement EQnoble...

Top Bottom