1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hummingbird

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dean, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago I moved into a house, and in the back yard there were hummingbirds, and they have been around all this time. Attracted to a large bush for some reason. Until then I'd never seen them land.

I like them a lot and thought I'd share. Lightning fast, quiet, quite pleasant, and they have a nice voice... In a way it reminds me of xf. :)

DSC_1028 (Large).JPG

DSC_1031 (Large).JPG

DSC_1022 (Large).JPG

2. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

Did you take those shots yourself ? they are awesome :)

3. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Yes, I was testing a lens that disappointed me yesterday (locked up the camera with an 'error' on the display).

Seems to work today though.

edit: here is the little guy cropped:

DSC_1028cropped.jpg

Blandt and Lawrence like this.
  4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Those are great shots, Dean

5. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Amazing shots dean. All we get in the uk are ugly sparrows, starlings and on those special occasions we are greeted by the appearance of a robin. Nice shots.

6. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

Nice pictures, Dean! I love hummingbirds I find them fascinating, :)

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Nice one Dean.

In keeping with the theme and just for Shelley...

036.jpg

I took this about 5 or so years ago in Chelmsford.

Dragonfly, CurveGotti and Shelley like this.
  8. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Nice pics Dean :D Gorgeous little birdy!

That bush is a Callistemon or Bottlebrush.. Aussie native plant :)

http://www.anbg.gov.au/callistemon/index.html

We have a very diverse and active bird life around here, but we don't have humming birds, they are amazing when they are feeding!

9. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I love hummingbirds. There is a certain shrub (bush) that attracts both hummingbirds and butterflies. I can't remember the name if it, but is most likely what you have there Dean.
    Those are fantastic shots.

Here in Ohio we see mostly hummingbirds, red-breasted robins, sparrows, starlings, and crows, although there are other species as well.

10. Floris

Floris Guest

Those purple coin / pointy shaped ones? the Buddleja buzz or something??

11. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

It's called something like pointas, or pontas. I'll have to look it up now. bah...

12. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Butterflies are generally attracted to Buddleia.

13. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Pentas, is the name. http://www.floridasnature.com/landscape/pentas lanceolata.htm
    They're known mostly for attracting butterflies, but they are very attractive to hummingbirds as well, because of the abundance of nectar they produce.

We have alot of pentas here in Ohio, but it is more abundant in Florida, where I am from.

14. turtile

turtile Well-Known Member

Yes, its common name is Butterfly Bush. The white one will attract the most wildlife.

15. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Definitely a bottle brush bush. I believe a lemon bottle brush. This area is covered with them and they grow huge. Perhaps I'll take a couple of more pics when it isn't raining and show more of the bush/humming bird.

But I've not seen humming birds anywhere else around here, not to land and relax.

I am getting the impression that the Australian wild life is a bit more dangerous than the hummingbird... :D

16. Steve Machol

Steve Machol Active Member

We had a lot of Hummingbirds when we lived in New Mexico. Here's my favorite shot, which I call 'Little Feet'.

20080430_1041b.jpg

I took this with my Nikon D300 with the 75-300mm lens from about 10 feet away.

Dragonfly, Jeremy, Lost and 6 others like this.
  17. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

*gasp* Magnificent shot Steve!!! Breathtaking.

18. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Great shots here, and Steve - stupendous capture :)

19. Steve Machol

Steve Machol Active Member

20. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Aaaahhhh. This is called a 'roodborstje' (little red breast) in Dutch. It is my favorite bird. So special :cool:.