XF 1.0 HTML 5 Microdata in Breadcrumb

This is just a quickie really, but I noticed today that Google has finally started to make use of the HTML 5 Microdata embedded in the XenForo breadcrumb.

This means that it is now possible to click through to the forums that contain the page that matched your search, directly from the search results page. :cool:

google-microdata.webp

Screen-shot-2011-02-16-at-23.56.13.webp

whats the benefit from having those links ? does it increase SERP ?
Benefits of Breadcrumbs Navigation

No. You should not. But, you should build one for your users.
  • Breadcrumbs make it easier for users to move around the site
  • When the main navigation doesn’t quite meet their needs, users turn to breadcrumbs.
  • Breadcrumbs show people their current location helping them understand where they are
  • Breadcrumbs never cause problems in user testing
  • Breadcrumbs take up very little space on the page
Other than the usability benefits, breadcrumbs can boost your search engine rankings, the SEO benefit.

Read more: http://www.rockyfu.com/blog/google-site-hierarchies-display-breadcrumbs/#ixzz1EDxbyLF7

My bad, IIRC microdata just adds meaning to your content. It's alright having a list, but we'd normally use classes/ids to represent what the list is. Microdata gives meaning to the code.
Microdata = context (i think
confused.png
)

(Someone please correct/elaborate on my statement)

I don't know how this could affect my traffic. My pages used to appear like this:

Page Title (This Is A Page)
Page Description
URL+Page Title (www.----.com/threads/this-is-a-page.1/)

Now, pages appear like this:

Page Title (This Is A Page)
Page Description
URL + Page's location (www.----.com › ... › Test Area)

Do you guys think this could hurt our traffic?

I have nothing but good things to say about Xenforo.
We migrated from VB to XF this past Sunday and according to Google Analytics, the following Monday and Tues has received the most traffic we have on record the past 2 years.

We have a custom XF mod that track status of college applications and after a day, data in that mod is already found by Google, some keywords rank on top 5, higher than the official websites of that specific program.

The pageviews, time online are up. Bounce rate is down.

I'll post a detailed report after a month to gather enough data and to eliminate biased sampling due to people new to the design.

The future is bright.
I posted my experience completed with stats and screenshots here
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/a-success-story-one-month-after-moving-to-xenforo.13856/

Is there any actual SEO benefit? Or simply an option for users to navigate to the page without selecting the actual article?

I am mainly asking because I removed the breadcrumb from several pages.

If there was some SEO benefit, maybe the breadcrumb could be at the bottom of the page, so it doesn't stick out like the waste of space it usually is on non-forum pages.

I find that the breadcrumb is fundamental to the way that I navigate sites, including forums.
Agreed. I created a new online catalog (shopping) system for a client several years ago, and thought to include breadcrumbs which were somewhat new at the time (just coming into widespread use). I will probably rewrite them somewhat to make use of this microdata.

I find that the breadcrumb is fundamental to the way that I navigate sites, including forums.
Can you give tangible examples ?

xenforo.breadcrumb.non-forum.page.no.function.webp

Most people replied they wanted the breadcrumb eliminated.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/eliminate-the-breadcrumb-in-non-forum-areas.5949/

I see the value of the breadcrumb on Forum pages. It does look pretty.
I think it just takes up space on non-forum pages.
I think people could have much nicer *PAID* banners on the top if the breadcrumb was not taking up space.
Hiding the breadcrumb from visible view could be the best of both worlds ?

In truth I don't even use it but I like that it's there because it provides a "standard" way to navigate and is an indicator of page hierarchy. Yes I know there are other indicators such as the url and the navbar, but the breadcrumb is the least obscure.

At the very least, it's there for aesthetic reasons which is fine by me.

As for your suggestion, it wouldn't be much of a "standard" if the breadcrumb was on some pages but not others (though I do notice the breadcrumb being inconsistent in some areas).

It may be my own preference, but I happen to prefer a breadcrumb on any site I visit, and on every possible page. Most well laid out sites don't actually need it, but for a few I have been to, navigation would have been impossible without the breadcrumb, since the main site navigation was so poorly laid out. I also like the fact that it is a visual roadmap of where you are on a site.

The templates here are easily modified if someone wants to move, change or remove the breadcrumb. I don't see it being a major issue if someone decides to change it around for their site.

I also like the fact that it is a visual roadmap of where you are on a site.
Well ...
When you are on the Members Tab and the Page is called Members ... do you need the breadcrumb to say Members ?
Well ... when you are on the Help Tab and the Page is called Help... do you need the breadcrumb to say Help ?

Top Bottom