How to rewrite URLs to a different domain name?

faeronsayn

Okay so I want to essentially split my site into two separate sites its getting two big and some sections are not making sense under the name. So If I was to buy another license of xenForo, and import one of my sections to that, I am sure it'll work. But here is the problem, URL redirection. The problem I am having is that currently both sections are under the same domain, but after they will be on different domains.

How can I redirect urls so that the old urls redirect to the new ones, plus to the new domain name. How can we do this ?

How do you plan on being able to selectively redirect URLs?

Thread URLs don't contain any forum specific component.

For example, this is from the Announcement forum: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/development-update.25726/

This is from the HYS forum: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/notices.18390/

Other than the thread title and ID, the rest of the URL is identical.

Thats the problem I am having, I have no idea on how I'll be able to redirect the URLs to the new domain. I know that if the whole domain name was changing then all urls can be redirected to the new domain, but I am keeping the old domain and just splitting the site, making it so the new site has a new domain, and all URLs get redirected.

Do you want to redirect all threads to the new domain?

I'm not quite sure what content you are splitting.

Thats what I don't want to do.

For exmaple, here is my site...

Annoucement section
-forum
-forum

Another section...
-Forum
-forum

Section I want to split
-Forum
-Forum
-Forum

... rest of the site....

So I have one main site right now, to put it simply all I want to do is take that section out of my main site, and create a whole new site with it, with a new domain and everything. The only problem is that having the old URLs of that section redirecting to the new URLs ... since the domain will obviously be different.

As I said above, there's no way of doing that with a simple rewrite as all the URLS share a common root.
You would need to individually redirect each thread, which is obviously not very practical.

Top Bottom