1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to rewrite URLs to a different domain name?

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by faeronsayn, Jan 14, 2012.

1. faeronsayn

faeronsayn Well-Known Member

Okay so I want to essentially split my site into two separate sites its getting two big and some sections are not making sense under the name. So If I was to buy another license of xenForo, and import one of my sections to that, I am sure it'll work. But here is the problem, URL redirection. The problem I am having is that currently both sections are under the same domain, but after they will be on different domains.

How can I redirect urls so that the old urls redirect to the new ones, plus to the new domain name. How can we do this ?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. faeronsayn

Thats the problem I am having, I have no idea on how I'll be able to redirect the URLs to the new domain. I know that if the whole domain name was changing then all urls can be redirected to the new domain, but I am keeping the old domain and just splitting the site, making it so the new site has a new domain, and all URLs get redirected.

4. Brogan

Do you want to redirect all threads to the new domain?

I'm not quite sure what content you are splitting.

5. faeronsayn

Thats what I don't want to do.

For exmaple, here is my site...

Annoucement section
    -forum
    -forum

Another section...
    -Forum
    -forum

Section I want to split
    -Forum
    -Forum
    -Forum

... rest of the site....

So I have one main site right now, to put it simply all I want to do is take that section out of my main site, and create a whole new site with it, with a new domain and everything. The only problem is that having the old URLs of that section redirecting to the new URLs ... since the domain will obviously be different.

6. Brogan

As I said above, there's no way of doing that with a simple rewrite as all the URLS share a common root.
    You would need to individually redirect each thread, which is obviously not very practical.