XF 1.5 Handling vb3 redirects to xf on a different domain

ibrian

I used to run a vb3 on domain.co.uk, but moved the site to domain.com when I upgraded to xf.

At the moment, both the .co.uk and .com are hosted on the same server.

That means I've been able to use the full path in 301config.php on the .co.uk, to redirect the old vb3 URLs to the xf URLs on .com.

However, I need to move the .com away to another server. And this is my problem - I don't know how to ensure the old vb3 redirects stay in place without the server path in the config.

For example, in 301config.php, I have the following path set:

Code:
  $fileDir = '/home/[.co.uk account]/public_html/xenforo';

I've tried to change this to an absolute URL, but that kills the redirects on .co.uk, resulting in vb3 error pages.

My question is: is there a way to to have the redirects on one domain send to a different domain on a different server?

Move the redirect scripts to the XF domain, then setup a change of domain redirect on the vB domain. For example, place these rules at the top of the .htaccess file in the web root of domain.co.uk:

Code:
RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^(showthread|forumdisplay)\.php$ http://www.domain.com/$1.php [R=301,L]

That will redirect all showthread and forumdisplay URLs from the old domain to the new one. Then the real redirect scripts on the new domain will redirect again to the XF URLs.

Top Bottom