1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 How to make it so banned users can see a forum

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Crypptic, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Crypptic

Crypptic New Member

Hello!

I'll keep this short:

I'm trying to make it so users who are banned can see a forum/category when they are banned instead of getting that they don't have permissions to.

Currently it looks like this:

[​IMG]

And I basically want them to see only one forum like this:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance! :)
    I apologize if this is considered a styling question.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  2. imno007

imno007 Active Member

Couldn't you create a forum just for them, set it to private and give only banned members (and yourself) permissions to view it?

3. Crypptic

Crypptic New Member

That's what I tried, it still gives the banned message on top of it though so they can't actually see that forum.

4. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

Make a Banned User Group and place them there upon bannination. Then use the User Group Permissions to let them view forum.

edit: Easiest way to do this is under the User Discouragement options. The very last thing is to add them to a User Group on banning.

5. xf_phantom

xf_phantom Well-Known Member

Banned users won't be able to see anything except the error message
    you'll need an addon to change this

6. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

User group permissions, other than View, will have no effect.

A banned user has no access to anything.

xf_phantom likes this.
  7. Crypptic

Crypptic New Member

That's kind of sad, anyone know any addon for it?

Is it possible that you can change this as well Xenforo team, I mean I'd assume some people would want this.

8. Edrondol

Interesting. So may I ask why you'd want to add them to a specific user group if doing so has no practical effect?

You could always change how you ban. Instead of banning straight up, simply set your infractions points to move them into a new user group and set the positions. They wouldn't be banned, but they'd be locked down. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to use the spam filter as it would outright ban them.

9. Edrondol

And wait. Let me read what you said again, Brogan. Nothing but View works, right? Isn't that what he wants? The banned people to be able to view?

10. imno007

imno007 Active Member

Yeah, sorry, I thought about that afterward, that it likely wouldn't work.

11. Brogan

View is simply viewing the forum.
    Without that they won't even see the ban message.

Adding to a user group allows you to use user titles, styling, banners, etc.

xf_phantom likes this.
  12. Edrondol

I'm really not trying to be argumentative or obtuse, but I don't see why if groups would have no effect that there's even be an option for putting them in a user group on ban. If it serves no form or function, why is it even an option?

13. Crypptic

Crypptic New Member

Using the warn system is a great idea, I'll try that and post results.

Also I very much agree with this post, would be cool if you could change that good sirs.

14. Crypptic

Crypptic New Member

-sorry I'm used to automerge-

15. xf_phantom

I'm using it for custom username styling and a custom usertitle.

Brogan likes this.
  16. imno007

imno007 Active Member

Maybe you could allow view only and use something like the Notifications addon to display a permanent notice to only banned users, including a link to the banned forum you want them to see? Just an idea. Although of course if you don't want them to even be able see the rest of the forums, that wouldn't work.

17. Brogan

I explained above.

Titles, banners and styling.

18. Edrondol

Okay, I think I got it. So like if you have a user group that has all the board stuff in a garish red on green motif and place the banned users into this group, it'll show the style for them instead of what they had before. Seems a bit odd but at least I now understand.

19. Brogan

No.
    User group styling.

20. xf_phantom

I'm sure brogan is talking about the username styling

Attached Files: