XF 1.2 How to make it so banned users can see a forum

Crypptic

Hello!

I'll keep this short:

I'm trying to make it so users who are banned can see a forum/category when they are banned instead of getting that they don't have permissions to.

Currently it looks like this:

urlbanned.png

And I basically want them to see only one forum like this:

banlemons.PNG

Thanks in advance! :)
I apologize if this is considered a styling question.

Last edited:
Make a Banned User Group and place them there upon bannination. Then use the User Group Permissions to let them view forum.

edit: Easiest way to do this is under the User Discouragement options. The very last thing is to add them to a User Group on banning.

User group permissions, other than View, will have no effect.

A banned user has no access to anything.

Interesting. So may I ask why you'd want to add them to a specific user group if doing so has no practical effect?

You could always change how you ban. Instead of banning straight up, simply set your infractions points to move them into a new user group and set the positions. They wouldn't be banned, but they'd be locked down. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to use the spam filter as it would outright ban them.

And wait. Let me read what you said again, Brogan. Nothing but View works, right? Isn't that what he wants? The banned people to be able to view?

View is simply viewing the forum.
Without that they won't even see the ban message.

Adding to a user group allows you to use user titles, styling, banners, etc.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative or obtuse, but I don't see why if groups would have no effect that there's even be an option for putting them in a user group on ban. If it serves no form or function, why is it even an option?

Using the warn system is a great idea, I'll try that and post results.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative or obtuse, but I don't see why if groups would have no effect that there's even be an option for putting them in a user group on ban. If it serves no form or function, why is it even an option?
Also I very much agree with this post, would be cool if you could change that good sirs.

I'm using it for custom username styling and a custom usertitle.

Maybe you could allow view only and use something like the Notifications addon to display a permanent notice to only banned users, including a link to the banned forum you want them to see? Just an idea. Although of course if you don't want them to even be able see the rest of the forums, that wouldn't work.

I explained above.

Titles, banners and styling.

I explained above.

Titles, banners and styling.

Okay, I think I got it. So like if you have a user group that has all the board stuff in a garish red on green motif and place the banned users into this group, it'll show the style for them instead of what they had before. Seems a bit odd but at least I now understand.

Top Bottom