How to install xF without breaking existing vB install?

crossovernetwork

I expect this one will get asked a lot next Tuesday, so I figured it'd be good to get some thoughts on this.
[As a precursor, part of my reason for asking is that when I went from wowbb to vB3 I accidentally broke my wowbb install and had to import my database and get vB running right away.]

so, for example my current vb4 forum is at domain/forum using a databse called 'datafor_vb' (it isn't actually called this, it's just an example.)
I want to install my shiny new, exiting xF to my webspace, so that the rest of my admins/mods can get to play with it and generally be as enthusiastic about 'teh shiney'(sic) as I am.
lets say I want to install it to domain/testxf. and use a test_xf database. is that going to be easy enough to do without wrecking my current install? also presumably I'd want to import myvb4 database into my test_xf database when the vB4 importer comes along.
Also presumably I could delete the test_xf database and re-import my vb4 into a new one once I'm ready to go live when xF is considered stable.

Upload XenForo's files into the testxf directory, and create a new database (test_xf). When you first access your testxf directory, the software will ask you the db name, password, and user name to connect to the new DB with. As long as you point XF to your new DB created for XenForo, it won't interfere with your exisitng forum.

As long as you don't try to replace your forum with your XF install, you'll be fine. By "replace" I mean based on URLs. I'd recommend you install XF into a separate database, but strictly speaking you don't have to...

Thanks for the reassurances. :) I'm hoping that hostgator allow me to use more than one database.
I'm also aiming to get it up and running quite quickly.
Part of me is thinking about setting up a linux install with apache etc to try it out locally first... decisions decisions :D

I'm not sure what documents you mean...

While things can be found by searching through the forum, I'd like to see a "page" with the following:
  1. A "Before you begin" section, stating the system requirements
  2. A rough idea of the steps you will take to get an install running
    1. A section for people converting from vbulletin 3.x instead of a clean install
  3. List of currently implemented features. Probably not all of them, but ones that could be considered "major."

Will there be documents available prior to the sale date?
I'm not sure what documents you mean...
I think he mean a "readme"
I don't know about Andy.N, but I'll need Non-Disclosure Agreements, certified copies of your Articles of Incorporation and background checks (including fingerprints and iris scans) from all of the principals, and from anyone who reads this thread.

Your timely compliance is appreciated.

I don't know about Andy.N, but I'll need Non-Disclosure Agreements, certified copies of your Articles of Incorporation and background checks (including fingerprints and iris scans) from all of the principals, and from anyone who reads this thread.

Your timely compliance is appreciated.
these aren't the droids you're looking for... ;)

Geez, you guys are funny.
By documents, I meant "documentations" often accompanied any kind of software installation, be it a read me, or a FAQ page on this website.

If you have installed Wordpress before, you probably would have seen their famous 5 minutes installation guide.

Don't be so cocky and say men don't need documentations. Every hosting is different.

I'm looking for some guide on how to import VB 3.8 into a fresh XF installation. As far as I know, there is nothing about it here.

I have a production board running 3.8 on one host and got another server where I plan to move my site to after XF installation.
How will the import work across server? Do I have to setup vb 3.8 in the new server to import or all I need is the copy of the database?

Not everyone on xf.com now runs a forum, or is even familiar with how hosting works, but want to start a forum. It would be really nice if Kier could make a example video with these types of things for those people. Many are confused by the terminology, but they have funds to buy software.
In cpanel
-make a database
-assign a user and set the permissions
-show how to password protect a directory (optional)

Using an ftp program
-upload the files

Show in detail the xf install steps

Show the xf import process from vb3.x to xf

I do not see any downsides to making a video like that. Only upsides. Especially from a sales standpoint.

Top Bottom